OBD port disconnecting at smog

So my 97 Max failed smog 2 times in 2 days because the smog place's device disconnects from the OBD port in the middle of the test. Handheld devices work just fine, at least the 3 I tried..
Aside from cleaning the battery terminals, what else should I try?
Anybody else run into something like this?

I'd try a different smog place. If a handheld scanner works, so should a diagnostic machine at the place doing the emission test.

Some cheap handhelds have fatter pins & can stretch out the terminals in the OBD Port.....I have to up-pin OBD Ports to repair the terminals all the time.

Not saying that their cable isn't faulty....But they do depend on it to do other vehicles??

Some cheap handhelds have fatter pins & can stretch out the terminals in the OBD Port.....I have to up-pin OBD Ports to repair the terminals all the time.

Not saying that their cable isn't faulty....But they do depend on it to do other vehicles??
How do you do the up-pin-ing?
The car in front of me (beetle) had the same problem, but they added power from a jumpstarter to their device to finish the test.

car in front of me (beetle) had the same problem
Really sounds like the problem is them, not you. Try a different place before doing much more on this.

Power out through the OBD plug to the scanner depends on a fuse that is often the same as the lighter or radio but you would notice that with your scanner never working either.

How do you do the up-pin-ing?
The car in front of me (beetle) had the same problem, but they added power from a jumpstarter to their device to finish the test.
I meant un-pin the terminals from the port & use a small awl to bend the "tabs" back down.

But as other have said.....It could be on the shops end.

They've made it your burden but it shouldn't be. BAR oversees the smog program.

So to update - I went to another shop Friday and smogged it just fine! Could only update the thread tonight, took the Max on a trip.
Thank you all for replying!

Back