O2 sensor. Use Anti-Seize!

2001 Tundra, 209K, front oxygen sensors. One driver side came out easy. Passenger side, not so much. Pulled a few bung threads out with it.
Wouldn't budge with O2 socket. Cut wires and used full impact socket. Long 1/2" Matco breaker bar? No luck. Makita short bursts and it came out.
Yay! Then, well, saw the result. Maybe it is better to replace them before 200K or remove and lube at 100K? Dunno.
Gonna take it to local shop; they are good but not cheap. Oh well... Ya win some and ya lose some.
Hopefully they can tap the bung. Oops!
1663091691920.png

1663091712853.png

1663091878625.png

I use Denso and NTK oxygen sensors. Sometimes the Denso sensors are NTK sensors in a Denso box. Denso provides a packet of anti-seize, while NTK doesn't even though they could be the exact same product in different boxes :unsure:

Are the ones you removed the original oxygen sensors from the factory? If not, were they replaced by some other shop? Some shops overtighten things way too much!

I use Denso and NTK oxygen sensors. Sometimes the Denso sensors are NTK sensors in a Denso box. Denso provides a packet of anti-seize, while NTK doesn't even though they could be the exact same product in different boxes :unsure:

NTK pre-applies anti-seize to the threads and uses a plastic cap that fits over the threads to keep it in place before installation. Bosch does the same.

Are the ones you removed the original oxygen sensors from the factory? If not, were they replaced by some other shop? Some shops overtighten things way too much!
I believe they are originals. But being a CA vehicle, everything looks new. I bought it with about 140K a long time ago. The original owner used it a commuter, believe it or not. Always professionally serviced.
1663092359003.jpg

I replaced 6 year old 118k o2's this past week. They spread my cheap o2 socket out quick, didn't budge. Sprayed them with liquid wrench, used a good loaner set of sockets and they popped right out. Obviously not as bad as yours, but it got me to thinking. Yes, folks really should replaced them before they have a chance to corrode.

I've got two other vehicles in the 150k mile range, 16+ years old. I'm gonna hit them with penetrant for a few weeks at least. I've found that wiggling seized bolts, etc back and forth helps get them out with less damage.

I used NTK, they had the antiseize and plastic caps.

NTK pre-applies anti-seize to the threads and uses a plastic cap that fits over the threads to keep it in place before installation. Bosch does the same.

correct, but Denso reboxes the same NTK sensor with the same pre-appled anti-seize and still gives you a tube :unsure:

The first time I went to remove one of the factory upstream O2's on my 98 Chevy K3500, it would not come out for anything. I eventually took it to an exhaust shop and they got it out but stripped the threads out of the bung. They cut the old bung out and welded in a new one.

Most all of the O2's that I have replaced come with anti-seize already on the threads. Not sure if the factory does on the original O2's though.

Daughter went through that this Summer. No one in town could remove it. She ended up having to buy a new exhaust manifold. Fortunately it was a 4 cylinder and fairly cheap.
I've been putting a dab of never sneeze on O2 sensors for 40 years.

Yes, I used anti seize when I replaced all 4 recently on our 07 GM 6.2L L92 w/180k miles. No problem. No codes But

220k miles on the originals in my 07 Toyota 4.0L 1GR-FE. Never had a need to change them. No codes ever. MPG is still the same as new. I'm gonna change them soon and hope they aren't a PITA. I'll use anti seize.

Heat is your friend. Even a propane torch would help. Heat the bung area, and spray the sensor with water. Do that several times then try to remove.

Heat is your friend. Even a propane torch would help. Heat the bung area, and spray the sensor with water. Do that several times then try to remove.
This ☝️ . When the rear O2 sensor went on the Honda while on vacation, I went to HD and bought a torch. I parked in the shade because Florida is hot in the summer and did it right in their parking lot. It did look like yours @JeffKeryk, so I took it to a shop to tap and complete the install for $20, money well spent. I was afraid to complete the install without a closer look at the threads and risk ruining the new NGK from RA.

A M18 x 1.5 spark plug thread chaser will clean the threads up just use a little oil on the threads when using, use nickel anti seize (2400f vs 2000f for copper) on the O2 threads.

Thanks @Trav. I gave my plug thread chaser a try but couldn't get it started. I was afraid of causing more damage. Access isn't that bad...
Gonna try again tomorrow. There is a muffler shop nearby; I might check with them just in case...
I appreciate your guidance.

Back