Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you actually think I'm going to search EVERY container of 5W20, 5W30 oil for those numbers? That makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door! :rolleyes:
One would be foolish not to do so. Do you not care about your vehicle?

I’d look for that before I’d look for the grade designation

Yes, Grade A. 🤣
Now you’re just trolling. Your original post was:

“I'm confused about something I read here quite often.
Why do some members ask about a certain number relating to an oil weight, instead of asking XWXX, or XXWXX, etc.
For instance, VW 502/505. Why not just say, 0W40, 5W40, 5W20, 5W30? I never see oil containers on the shelves with the 1st series of numbers I listed. Only the latter.”

which appeared as a sincere question looking for an answer. Your numerous posts since then have proven it to be otherwise

Now you’re just trolling. Your original post was:

“I'm confused about something I read here quite often.
Why do some members ask about a certain number relating to an oil weight, instead of asking XWXX, or XXWXX, etc.
For instance, VW 502/505. Why not just say, 0W40, 5W40, 5W20, 5W30? I never see oil containers on the shelves with the 1st series of numbers I listed. Only the latter.”

which appeared as a sincere question looking for an answer. Your numerous posts since then have proven it to be otherwise
Nah, no trolling here. A trolling motor won't fit on my wheelchair. :rolleyes:
Again, after I UNDERSTOOD THE NUMBERS it just seems EASIER to me to use XWXX, XXWXX. (y)
As long as you keep replying SARCASTICLY I have to defend my honor. :)

Sometimes I like to run 0W40 in my trucks engine. What will the Ford number elves think of that? 🤣

I was going to say..

there was a whole mathematical equation as to when you can add the numbers together and when you have to divide them in half because the first number is different. I edited it out when the tide seemed to be turning against you, since I didn't want to make it worse. Not serious reply, of course. Kind of in the spirit of posts in this thread.

But I think some of the members are getting a little bit frustrated with this.. question that you have so I think I want to back out of it at this time, I hope you don't take any offense.

I was going to say..

there was a whole mathematical equation as to when you can add the numbers together and when you have to divide them in half because the first number is different. Not serious reply, of course. Kind of in the spirit of posts in this thread.

But I think some of the members are getting a little bit frustrated with this.. question that you have so I think I want to back out of it at this time, I hope you don't take any offense.
Nah, no offense at all. Thanks for your replies. They were very informative. ;)

Do you actually think I'm going to search EVERY container of 5W20, 5W30 oil for those numbers? That makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door! :rolleyes:

That's actually the OEM's expectation, that you indeed look for that specific specification. It's nothing like putting a screen door on a sub, it's more like not checking the barrel of a shotgun before ramming a 000 buck high brass load into it. Maybe you'll be fine. Maybe it'll be a Damascus barrel and fail catastrophically. Not checking what you are putting in as being compatible to what it's fitted to isn't just being lazy, it could be dangerous. Just because it fits doesn't make it right.

That's actually the OEM's expectation, that you indeed look for that specific specification. It's nothing like putting a screen door on a sub, it's more like not checking the barrel of a shotgun before ramming a 000 buck high brass load into it. Maybe you'll be fine. Maybe it'll be a Damascus barrel and fail catastrophically. Not checking what you are putting in as being compatible to what it's fitted to isn't just being lazy, and could be dangerous. Just because it fits doesn't make it right.
It's been right for me all along.

It's been right for me all along.

Then the odds are you've not had an engine that called for a stringent spec. If you read my earlier post you'd note that VW had serious problems with dealers in North America going by the grade on the bottle and not the spec, because, much like you are doing here, these folks thought that "oil is oil" and that if it said 5w-30 then it would be appropriate. This led to sludge and engine failure when run at the specified drain interval.

Well once you do once, you know which one has it so you just buy the same thing next time so you don't have to go through every container. In my case, MB 229.5 isn't that common so mostly its either Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, I guess.
Data, data everywhere, but not a thought to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back