Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again, you seem to be running an experiment that yields "sense", "feel" and "like" as possible results. For that purpose, you don't need to pay attention to grades, certifications, etc.

What about my butt dyno?

The problem is that VW (or BMW or Merc or GM or whoever) wants to know the oils being used in the engines meets a minimum standard. Their standards are higher/tougher to meet than regular API standards. If they just say use 5w30, someone could grab an oil that is not VW approved, in fact that would very likely happen.

Most Japanese automakers do what you are saying. Just use 0w20, 5w30, whatever. And that is fine as long as the automaker is comfortable with plain jane API oils in their vehicles. This is part of the reason no Japanese vehicles are using a service interval of much more than about 7.5k miles (and most are more like 5k). The Euro approved oils have long life certification to 10k+ depending on the spec.
API grade isn't a performance standard like SN or SP for example. Even with the Japanese vehicles it's about the license as well as a grade.

The problem is that VW (or BMW or Merc or GM or whoever) wants to know the oils being used in the engines meets a minimum standard. Their standards are higher/tougher to meet than regular API standards. If they just say use 5w30, someone could grab an oil that is not VW approved, in fact that would very likely happen.

Most Japanese automakers do what you are saying. Just use 0w20, 5w30, whatever. And that is fine as long as the automaker is comfortable with plain jane API oils in their vehicles. This is part of the reason no Japanese vehicles are using a service interval of much more than about 7.5k miles (and most are more like 5k). The Euro approved oils have long life certification to 10k+ depending on the spec.
I GET ALL OF THIS!
But, IMO, just stating XWXX, or XXWXX is so much EASIER!
Engineers overcomplicate things sometimes. IE; FORD. :rolleyes:

I know this, now. But, why not just spec XWXX, or XXWXX? Why all of the numbers? Walking down an aisle of varying grades of oil weights and choose which weight you need is MUCH easier than searching the backs of oil containers for all of those numbers. Right? It seems easier to me.
Because not all xW-xx viscosity oil performs the same way. When an oil obtains a spec certification (like GM dexos, VW, Ford, BMW, etc, etc) there are dozens of testing specifications they must meet to get the spec approval on the bottle.

Because not all xW-xx perform the same way. When an oil obtains a certification there are dozens of specifications they must meet to bet the dexos, VW, Ford, GM, etc spec approval.
In my I example, I chose the VW 502/505 as the NUMBERS I was stating. If it's so much easier this way, then why don't oil manufacturers just put the NUMBERS on the oil containers instead of the weights? :rolleyes:

In my I example, I chose the VW 502/505 as the NUMBERS I was stating. If it's so much easier this way, then why don't oil manufacturers just put the NUMBERS on the oil containers instead of the weights? :rolleyes:
Because most oils meet a spec and a viscosity grade. Both are important, and both are on the bottle of oil. Your Ford truck manual lists an oil spec they want you to use, just like every car maker. They list both the oil spec and oil viscosity they want people to use. They list a spec because not all oil performs the same in the tests that they think are important for their engines.

I GET ALL OF THIS!
But, IMO, just stating XWXX, or XXWXX is so much EASIER!
Engineers overcomplicate things sometimes. IE; FORD. :rolleyes:
Would you pour a jug of 10w-30 lawn mower oil you had sitting on the shelf for a few decades in a new engine?? I mean 10w-30 is all the same, right?

Next time I replace my car's battery, I'm just going to grab the cheapest one. Nevermind the size. They're all 12V so they must be the same.

Smell what I'm stepping in?

Easier is one thing. Necessary is another.

Last edited:

And here's me thinking that most of Toyota's lineup is 10k miles.

Would you pour a jug of 10w-30 lawn mower oil you had sitting on the shelf for a few decades in a new engine?? I mean 10w-30 is all the same, right?

Next time I replace my car's battery, I'm just going to grab the cheapest one. Nevermind the size. They're all 12V so they must be the same.

Smell what I'm stepping in?

Easier is one thing. Necessary is another.
Careful now, that stuff stinks. :poop: 🤣

Because most oils meet a spec and a viscosity grade. Both are important, and both are on the bottle of oil. Your Ford truck manual lists an oil spec they want you to use, just like every car maker. They list both the oil spec and oil viscosity they want people to use. They list a spec because not all oil performs the same in the tests that they think are important for their engines.
My trucks engine was spec'd 5W30 originally. In 2000 they spec'd 5W20. So, I use either one of those. See how simple that is/was? :rolleyes:

My trucks engine was spec'd 5W30 originally. In 2000 they spec'd 5W20. So, I use either one of those. See how simple that is/was? :rolleyes:
Your manual requires a Ford spec in addition to the recommended grade.

Screenshot 2020-12-02 110100.jpg

Do you actually think I'm going to search EVERY container of 5W20, 5W30 oil for those numbers? That makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door! :rolleyes:

If I put in one quart of 5W-20 and one quart of 5W-30, I made 5W-50 because both the bottles are blue, the first 5 number cancels out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back