Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused about something I read here quite often.
Why do some members ask about a certain number relating to an oil weight, instead of asking XWXX, or XXWXX, etc.
For instance, VW 502/505. Why not just say, 0W40, 5W40, 5W20, 5W30? I never see oil containers on the shelves with the 1st series of numbers I listed. Only the latter. :unsure:

Why do some members ask about a certain number relating to an oil weight, instead of asking XWXX, or XXWXX, etc.
For instance, VW 502/505. Why not just say, 0W40, 5W40, 5W20, 5W30? I never see oil containers on the shelves with the 1st series of numbers I listed. Only the latter. :unsure:
Because when it comes to certain car engine manufacturers, those "certain numbers" are more important than the oil grade. For instance, the VW 502.00 spec comes in various oil grades, and you can use any of them. Typically when it comes to those specs, HT/HS viscosity is more important than SAE grade.

The mfg spec will be listed on the oil container. If it's not listed, it means a given oil does not meet that particular mfg spec.

Last edited:
Those VW specs are on the back of the label. If you didn't know, many API grades with certain W designations can cover a specific manufacturer approval.

Because when it comes to certain car engine manufacturers, those "certain numbers" are more important than the oil grade. For instance, the VW 502.00 spec comes in various oil grades, and you can use any of them.

The mfg spec will be listed on the oil container. If it's not listed, it means a given oil does not meet that particular mfg spec.
Wouldn't it just be easier to state XWXX, or XXWXX? It seems much easier that way then to have to start looking for the other numbers. Can you imagine having to turn all of those containers around to search for those numbers? Why make things so complicated?
Ah well, I guess I'm just old school. :sleep:

It would be easier if they just specify the required approval and forget about grades. Most approvals require a minimum HT/HS and other than a minor squabble over the winter rating this dictates the possible grades. Mercedes-Benz has started to do this and it makes it less confusing, especially for anyone who doesn’t understand the importance of the approval over any grade designation.

Wouldn't it just be easier to state XWXX, or XXWXX? It seems much easier that way then to have to start looking for the other numbers. Can you imagine having to turn all of those containers around to search for those numbers? Why make things so complicated?
Think of it as similar to dexos1Gen2. D1G2 covers 0W-20 and 5W-30. Now, let's say you buy a Chevy and the owners manual recommends D1G2; no mention of a viscosity. You could say that you use 0W-20 or 5W-30 in your new Chevy, or you could just say that you use D1G2 and that would cover both. Rather than complicating things, IMO, it actually makes it easier. You just look for the approval instead of worrying about viscosity and if 0W-30 is okay in place of 5W-30, or if 5W-20 is okay instead of 0W-20, etc etc.

Because not all XWXX meet the approval required by the vehicle manufacturer. For instance, AmazonBasics makes a 0W-40. But if you're a VW/Audi owner and want to stick with what's required in the Owner's Manual (for argument's sake lets say the manual requires you to use a VW502.00/505.00 approved oil), just having that 0W-40 viscosity will not satisfy the requirement like Mobil1 0W-40, Castrol Edge 0W/5W-40 do, and posses the "Approvals VW502/505" on the back of the bottle just like you see other certifications/approvals for other oils, i.e., Ford Spec, Honda HTO-06 etc.

AMAZONBasics
1606854227015.png

30 years ago, that's how things worked. But technology moved on. Modern engines require more advanced oil, and there is a lot more to an oil's performance than just its SAE grade. That's why oil specifications exist.

VW 502/505 is an oil specification defined by Volkswagen ... not a viscosity grade.

And for Mercedes, a popular spec is 229.5. I've heard of a few horror stories were people just threw in 5w30 that didn't meet spec and then had engine trouble afterwards. Like that Amazon Basics 0w40, doesn't have MB 229.5 spec, but Castrol and Mobil 1 0w40 has it.

You have to buy the right oil for your car, otherwise you're just gambling that the oil will be fine. The manufacturer only says that your engine will be fine if it meets these specs, if it doesn't they don't guarantee anything as they only use the approved stuff.

Because not all XWXX meet the approval required by the vehicle manufacturer. For instance, AmazonBasics makes a 0W-40. But if you're a VW/Audi owner and want to stick with what's required in the Owner's Manual (for argument's sake lets say the manual requires you to use a VW502.00/505.00 approved oil), just having that 0W-40 viscosity will not satisfy the requirement like Mobil1 0W-40, Castrol Edge 0W/5W-40 do, and posses the "Approvals VW502/505" on the back of the bottle just like you see other certifications/approvals for other oils, i.e., Ford Spec, Honda HTO-06 etc.

AMAZONBasics
View attachment 35515

Did not know Amazon Basics made a 0W-40.

Will seriously consider trying this in the future.

For what reason? Both Mobil 1 and Castrol 0W-40 are less expensive through Walmart and they carry a plethora of demanding manufacturer's specifications in addition to ACEA A3/B4. What would attract you to the AMZ oil over those?

Not a bad oil for $25.95 per jug - it meets ACEA A3/B4. But for far less money you can buy Mobil 1 0W-40 which actually carries the approvals, certs, and licenses.

For what reason? Both Mobil 1 and Castrol 0W-40 are less expensive through Walmart and they carry a plethora of demanding manufacturer's specifications in addition to ACEA A3/B4. What would attract you to the AMZ oil over those?

Well, this time would be for my own possible curiousity. You have a point, I may not need to try it, ever. Even now, I recently put a 5W-30 (Walmart oil full synthetic. Had to talk myself out of putting a 5W-20 Conventional in there) and the results have been.. promising. Engine feels good. And my engine is on the smaller side so any higher grade probably would make it rev less freely..

Still though, in the summer months and where my engine previously was running some Castrol 0W-40, I may again be thinking about an oil to try.

My engine has no demanding specs so that is not an issue for me.

Not a bad oil for $25.95 per jug - it meets ACEA A3/B4. But for far less money you can buy Mobil 1 0W-40 which actually carries the approvals, certs, and licenses.

Now would only need to decide if I should select M1 AFE 0W-30 or go to the 40. I did forget that Amazon motor oils cost more than just going to Walmart and buying actual oils.

Which may make the Amazon Basics not worth buying. Maybe.

and the results have been.. promising. Engine feels good.
My engine has no demanding specs
If feeling good is the only spec your engine demands, then knock yourself out and try what you think makes it feel that way...tell you what...try Redline 5W-30! I don't know if my engine likes or not, but it makes me feel gooder :ROFLMAO:

Now would only need to decide if I should select M1 AFE 0W-30 or go to the 40. I did forget that Amazon motor oils cost more than just going to Walmart and buying actual oils.

Which may make the Amazon Basics not worth buying. Maybe.
You don't even have to go there, they ship for free just like Amazon. And if you buy three of the Castrol at a time it is only $19.50/each.

If feeling good is the only spec your engine demands, then knock yourself out and try what you think makes it feel that way...tell you what...try Redline 5W-30! I don't know if my engine likes or not, but it makes me feel gooder :ROFLMAO:

You are way more on point than you think, lol.

And my engine oil cap does not tell me what to put in. It just says OIL. It doesn't give me any numbers or anything like that lol.

Now, is Gooder a word? Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back