Nulon Racing oil vs. Motul 300V

I have a large ci V8, 950HP NA E85 all-aluminium road racing engine (Dailey dry sump, 5-stage). It's not a max effort build, it was specifically built with long-term durability in mind. It will see street use for certain events (like One Lap of America) but for the sake of this thread, let's stick to what it will be using on track only and presume I'll use something different for street driving. On my previous build (still used a stock block) I was using Redline for the track and Redline for the street:

I'm looking at my options when it comes to some other racing oils for my new build.

I haven't seen many comparisons between Nulon/Motul and wanted to post to get some thoughts. Australian Supercars series uses Nulon so that's good enough for me as my use case is similar, but I hear a lot of good stuff about Motul.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use the Nulon racing in a street car that sees occasional track time. Its the best oil I have used from oil pressure perspective and quiet running. It is used as you said in the V8 supercar series in Australia by some of the top teams. I have never heard anyone say they have found a better oil than this and from what I've heard from both Nulon and other people running it, its always faired better than any other oil they have used. AN is superior to ester especially when combined with PAO. I have a VOA of the 5w40 (see attached)

Attachments

• Nulon Prod_UnitReference _NR 5W40_Normal_29071167 (5).pdf
    123 KB · Views: 144
Don't know anything about Nulon but as far as choosing between the 300V and Red Line, I think they are more similar than different. Probably comes down to cost. There are other GroupIV/V oils available. This comes to mind among others.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'll be going with Nulon for racing. Hopefully, I can find a US distributor because the eBay shipping prices are steeeeeeep.

I'll probably still run the Redline I always have for the street.

Coin toss....I wouldn't go out of my way for any of them.
Redline, Motul, Amsoil, Torco, RoyalPurple, Mobil1 racing ....are all easy to source locally.

I would monitor oil temps and PSI and adjust oil grade as needed.

Normally I just email Dave @Redline with the clearances from my blueprint sheet and he recommends a grade as a starting point. I would expect there is a resource at Nulon for doing the same.

It does seem very difficult to get Nulon here in the US right now. I may just stick with Redline for racing as well.

Yea its a bit hard to get Nulon in the states. The only option would be to send a few emails to some Aussie distributors that might send international. Nulon is the only PAO and AN available from anywhere I have seen but high end Redline, Motul and Mobil Racing oils do the job well.

Nulon is just as trust worthy as Motul especially here in Australia and NZ. Fuchs owns Nulon now as well. You might be surprised to find a few NASCAR engine builders using this oil as well.
Not sure about that. For me personally NASCAR endorsement doesn’t mean anything.
i trust it is good oil, but I am not sure on par Motul.

Not sure about that. For me personally NASCAR endorsement doesn’t mean anything.
i trust it is good oil, but I am not sure on par Motul.
The top teams in the V8 Supercars series run it. Nulon is owned by Fuchs, its the only current mass produced Racing PAO/AN oil. Nulon has been around since 1985 here in Australia. A comment from an engine builder here in Australia who is involved with NASCAR and Pro Drag:

"We spin them to 10K+ and all we have hurt is 1 rocker trunnion about 6 years ago. We don't blame the oil, it's just one of those things that maintenance picks up. Could have been a disaster. Oil is always heated before start up, 30-35 PSI at idle and around 90 psi from 5K onward".

Nulon's standard range of oils have all certification and approvals they are very professional.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the 5w40 Nulon Racing VOA above? Is it on the thinner side of a 40wt?
Its mid range for 'thickness' but PAO/AN and the additives make it a low friction oil. You won't be disappointed I'm running the 5w-50 atm. You can get in on sale a few times a year through sparesbox and sometimes some other distributors.

Its mid range for 'thickness' but PAO/AN and the additives make it a low friction oil. You won't be disappointed I'm running the 5w-50 atm. You can get in on sale a few times a year through sparesbox and sometimes some other distributors.

Thanks for the quick reply - I used the 5w30 but I think it was too thin for my application - I had some elevated tin on the UOA.

Have used the 5w40 once but didn't do a UOA - I have another ready to go (and yes, scored it on sale from sparesbox ;) )

Thanks for the quick reply - I used the 5w30 but I think it was too thin for my application - I had some elevated tin on the UOA.

Have used the 5w40 once but didn't do a UOA - I have another ready to go (and yes, scored it on sale from sparesbox ;) )
Yep it has a little tin in it from manufacture. How high were the levels. Yea I always wait for the sparesbox sales haha

Back