Now I know why I do extended oil change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
The change oil soon light finally came on in the Envoy after 11,000 miles. I've previously run a 10,000 mile interval with Mobil 1 and LC and had a good report from Blackstone.

I forgot how evil that filter is. It is mounted above the front sway bar and there is no place for leverage. Add in the warm (hot) oil pan and you make for a pain in the butt filter removal. I had to use a big rubber strap wrench to finally budge it enough to spin it off by hand.

When I grow up and run GM (I expect the call any day now), I'm going to make every engineer and designer change the oil on each one of their designs before they hit production.
cool.gif

I can see how they end up in a bad location when an old engine design ends up in a vehicle it was never designed for but that often is not the case. If you have the inline 6 then that motor was basically made with this vehicle in mind since that engine is not used in any other vehicle. Or do you have the v8?

Quote:

I can see how they end up in a bad location when an old engine design ends up in a vehicle it was never designed for but that often is not the case. If you have the inline 6 then that motor was basically made with this vehicle in mind since that engine is not used in any other vehicle. Or do you have the v8?

You haven't had the pleasure of changing the oil in one of these I-6 engines in a Trailblazer, I take it.

Theyre fun, used to do them on a lift. If done properly (took me a few times) I can get by without spilling a drop. However, we always had customers come in with missing bottom oil pans.

Also, this isnt a GM engine - you can thank Isuzu for the design.

Quote:

Quote:

You haven't had the pleasure of changing the oil in one of these I-6 engines in a Trailblazer, I take it.

I didn't mean to imply that it was easy to change the oil on this vehicle. My point (implied the first time) was that GM must have really screwed up to make an engine specifically for 1 vehicle and then not do something as simple as making the oil filter accessible.

Quote:

Also, this isnt a GM engine - you can thank Isuzu for the design.

I have been arguing that for several years on the truck forums.

I've had people claim they work for GM and that I am a complete idiot to say that the I-6 4.2L is an Isuzu engine.

laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

well i have and its no picnic, but it definitely isn't the worst out there

The only other vehicle I hated as much in regards to changing oil was the 1992 Saturn SL2. It's a horizontally mounted filter right above the steering rack. There was no way to not make a mess.

Quote:

..Also, this isnt a GM engine - you can thank Isuzu for the design.

Is that a fact? Sources? So the ecotec, 5cyl and vortec 4.2L are all isuzu (designed) engines? Not that that is a bad thing, I've owned (and loved) isuzus and currently own a trailblazer 4.2L. In fact, I think an oil/filter change is an absolute pc of cake on the trailblazer compared to some nissans, mitsubishis, yotas and subeez I've changed oil on. If you need tools to remove an oil filter, that is 'operator error'.

Joel

Quote:

Probably just a plastic/metal "undershield" that needs to be removed in order to gain access to the underside of the engine.

Cee-Gar to Andy.. It's the splash-guard that fastens to the undercarriage to keep SOME (hardly all) of the road spray off the under-hood components.

My Hyundai's oil filter sits above and forward of the back edge of my guard, a whole other reason to go long OCI. It's held on with cheesy plastic quick-off fasteners that I'm already trying to figure out how to replace with a better fastener. Removing the guard wears out the fasteners, and when you leave it in place, unscrewing the oil filter lets loose a stream of oil that is caught by the splash pan making an awful mess to have to clean, and there's no getting the filter off fast enough to avoid this noid.

Whaddya gnna dooo?
dunno.gif

Go 10K OCI, that's what..
cheers.gif

I know mine always makes a mess when I remove the filter. It must be 10 inches from the base of the filter to the splash-guard, and oil always hits the sides on the way down. Love the vehicle, but I hate that part of it.

Well, IMHO, you remove the spash-guard at your peril. It's thin, it's flimsy, but it's THERE. Foolish not to maintain it, and especially to remove it. In my car, all the belt-driven, rotating goodies hide behind it..

I have an Anti-Freeze funnel that works great for catching the oil filter drippings and directing them to the catch pan. It works well on both the Envoy and the Grand Prix. I still get some on the sway bar and undercarriage, but it's nothing a shop towel can't handle.

Quote:

Quote:

..Also, this isnt a GM engine - you can thank Isuzu for the design.

If you need tools to remove an oil filter, that is 'operator error'.

Joel

You missed the point. Probably because you've never had the pleasure of changing the oil on a Trailblazer. It's not that the filter is on too tight.

It's the fact that you need double jointed elbows in order to attempt not to make a huge mess.

Quote:

...You missed the point. Probably because you've never had the pleasure of changing the oil on a Trailblazer. It's not that the filter is on too tight.

It's the fact that you need double jointed elbows in order to attempt not to make a huge mess.

Ummm.. I own a 2005 4.2L trailblazer and do my own oil changes on it. Again, it's only a PITA if the filter was wrenched on. It can be reached and removed easily without the need for jacks, lifts, ramps, etc. I'm far from petite and have no isses at all. Again- WAAAY easier than some non-domestic vehicles I've owned and maintained.

Joel :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back