Now, GC is in !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBK

All right, I just changed the oil two days ago. I poured GC in with NIPPON Filter. The first impression is that it really quiets down the engine's noise. Also, in the morning when I started up my car, the engine smoothly started. Anyway, I have to wait for the very cold day to observe about the cold start a bit.
Before changing to GC, I use M1 5W-20 with VSOT and Wix filter. When I tried to start the engine in the very cold morning. It wouldn't start smoothly. I am not sure what to call it. "not sure if the oil was too thick or not." OK I'll observe a little bit and I post the comment to the board

Going from 5w20 to almost a 40weight? If your car recommends 5w20 you are going overboard. In very rare cases this site causes more harm than good!

GLXpassat...too many UOA's prove you wrong.
Triple-7.... I hear ya but if the manufacturer recommends 5w20 a 40 might be overkill.

speedtc says >
> GLXpassat...too many UOA's prove you wrong.

Some might say the same about the GC UOAs...

> I hear ya but if the manufacturer recommends
> 5w20 a 40 might be overkill.

GC isn't a 40 weight, it is a 30 weight. Yes, it is at the higher end of a 30 weight (GC is 12.2 cSt at 100C which is within the SAE 30W range of ~9-13 cSt while a SAE 40W is ~13-16 cSt) but it is still a 30 weight and very shear stable so it doesn't tend to change in viscosity over long intervals (unlike some oils that get thinner while others get thicker).

Did you ever wonder why the manufacturer would recommend 5W20? Might it be to get every last inch out of mileage figures (at the expense of engine protection). Because as we know, they aren't as nearly concerned about engine longevity as they are about meeting CAFE and mileage requirements? Exceeding the CAFE requirements lets them build credits to which they can utilize to sell their upper scale models which don't meet the requirements? A manufacturer pumps out 200,000 compact cars that get an additional 1/2 mpg due to the use of 5W20 (over say 10W40) and they build some CAFE credits so they can sell 10,000 luxury sleds without penalty that fall short of the mileage requirements by 10 mpg.

??

Regards,

Rich

Manufacturers recommend CAFE standards. Smart Americans would rather lose 1-MPG & keep their vehicles running tip-top alot longer with the next higher viscosity. 5-20s are most important during the warranty requirement period. Afterwards, many folks move up to 5w-30 / 0W-30.

Thats like me going from 10W30 in my 97 civic to 15W50 just before i traded it in for my 2002 tacoma. Going to thicker oils is a waste and if something happens your screwed because warrenty will not cover. Stick to the 5W20 while under warrenty. Find out what 5W20's are on the thicker side and go from there.

Sorry... Just got back from work. OK let's see, I drive CIVIC 2004 VP with 1.7L. From researching the forum, there are lots of people using GC in Civic 1.7L so I follow them and YEAH.. Wanna try something ELF... As I mention I used 5w20 + VSOT. Last time, I poured VSOT too much (6oz). Anyway, 4300 miles already so I changed to GC. It is really smooth and it softens the engine noise a bit. I will send the UOA of my previous oil to see how many miles can I get from the 5w-20 + VSOT.

I do delivery almost every night so javascript:void(0)
Cheers!

I'll be around. I love GC.

GC quietened my Subaru 2.5, too. But, it calls for a 30 weight. I don't believe the hand-wringing concerning 5-20's being inferior in protection...if my Subaru engine called for a 5-20 SM, I'd run it. My Odyssey does call for a 5-20 SM...that's what's in it.

I'll take the reasoning presented by Dr. Haas concerning lower viscosity oils, since he has some science and real-world experience behind his assertions, unlike the general conspiracy-theorists thinking CAFE standards are out to ruin our engines. Science marches on, whether or not you accept it.

RichD...AWESOME POST.
worshippy.gif
Most all know that cafe standards are #1 in the us. As to 5w20 only time will tell. I flip flopped on this topic and will be putting 5w30 in my focus next time instead of 20.

Titan wrote >
> I'll take the reasoning presented by Dr. Haas
> concerning lower viscosity oils, since he has some
> science and real-world experience behind his
> assertions, unlike the general
> conspiracy-theorists thinking CAFE standards are
> out to ruin our engines.

I don't disagree, a motor could be designed to be very efficient, utilizing a lower viscosity oil. I am sure that a proper team of engineers, with no particular constraints, could build a small engine that could last 500k miles on a low viscosity oil. But don't kid yourself that every manufacturer is doing this the right way. I get tired of hearing "well, the auto manufacturer designed it this way, it has to be the best way" or "it has to be right". No, that isn't always the case, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

> Science marches on,
> whether or not you accept it.

Time marches on...science doesn't always, engineering definitely doesn't at times. In the world of high finance and big business, engineering can often be crippled...

Regards,

Rich

GC is the only oil i have found that really smooths and quiets my notoriously noisy isuzu 3.2L, not to mention, it can be started on cold mornings without extremally loud ticking for a short while... Something about it's flow characteristics, it purges air out of the hydrolic adjusters faster than other oils, keeps those lifters pumped up better and keeps em quieter... not to mention, it came back with a solid UOA that stayed in grade, and held a high flashpoint in an engine that burns oil and is very very old... can't wait to go back to it after my run on ARX, the ARX has gone a long way to quieting this engine down, with the GC in there after the cleaning this 185,000 mile old engine should have a lot of life left!

It is very interesting topics about what's going on with the CAFE stuff and 5W-20. My car is still under warranty. But I think one grade higher will not cause any problem with it. Now, It runs quieter and smoother than ever. I tried not to put any additive in there so I can do the pure UOA. Not that pure actually, last time I put the VSOT with M1 5W-20. There would be a trace to moly stuff right...

Happy changing motor oil!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back