November auto sales.... getting uglier each month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
October's seasonally adjusted annual sales rate of 10.6 million vehicles was worst in more than 25 years and far below the rate of 16 million a year earlier, according to Autodata Corp.

Quote:
GM's sales fell 41 percent, while Chrysler's dropped 47 percent. Their overseas rivals posted abysmal results Tuesday as well. Toyota's November U.S. sales tumbled 34 percent, while Nissan's dropped 42 percent and Honda's fell 32 percent.

Source Link

Well, why would someone want to purchase a new vehicle that *will* be required to run gas that cost $4, $5, $6 or more per gallon with all the new regs coming online in the next few years.

I'm not surprised on the numbers from Toyota or Honda. There are at least 70 Prius in a row at one stealership and 50 at another one. I think they are for sale..
grin2.gif

The honda place has tons of cars too. Since I drive more than the average person I don't see too many new car stickers anymore.

People are holding on to or buying used *if* they *need* something.

Even with gas currenty @ $1.51 here people are smart enough to know that gas will be more than $4 next driving season. And with idiots in the state and feds wanting to raise taxes (they want to go from 24 cents to 50 cents per gallon here alone
smirk2.gif
) just them talking about it is killing the market further.
06.gif

It will be very interesting to see how we handle the next few years... (*if* we can as a nation)

Take care, Bill

If I had the money I'd take a new Prius.

Or a new diesel Jetta wagon. Then laugh when gas goes up past $4 and is within shouting distance of diesel again.

In the meanwhile my 10-year-old Buick will do just fine.

there are enough vehicles on the road. people are taking care of their cars and trucks. i currently own 3 x dodge colt, 2 x subaru, and 1 x ford focus. the ages 1995 1995 1995 1999 2000 and 2008. this is four more cars than what i need, but i collect dodge colt's so that is why it is like that.

Cars and trucks, especially by the japanese makers, are lasting A LONG TIME, and people are not buying cars from Detroit that rust out in just 2 or three years. the paint on my Ford Focus, is the worst of all my cars. all the others are japanese, and the paint is perfect, even though i live in a heavy rust belt.

Ahhh yes, another bias-filled tripe-fest, ripe with propaganda from our resident scoobster.

Thanks for the chucks chum.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Well, why would someone want to purchase a new vehicle that *will* be required to run gas that cost $4, $5, $6 or more per gallon with all the new regs coming online in the next few years.

I'm not surprised on the numbers from Toyota or Honda. There are at least 70 Prius in a row at one stealership and 50 at another one. I think they are for sale..
grin2.gif

The honda place has tons of cars too. Since I drive more than the average person I don't see too many new car stickers anymore.

People are holding on to or buying used *if* they *need* something.

Even with gas currenty @ $1.51 here people are smart enough to know that gas will be more than $4 next driving season. And with idiots in the state and feds wanting to raise taxes (they want to go from 24 cents to 50 cents per gallon here alone
smirk2.gif
) just them talking about it is killing the market further.
06.gif

It will be very interesting to see how we handle the next few years... (*if* we can as a nation)

Take care, Bill

Indeed sir, 'tis of grave concern to many I fear. And buying habits are indicative of this.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Ahhh yes, another bias-filled tripe-fest, ripe with propaganda from our resident scoobster.

Maybe.... maybe not. Looks like people are buying Subarus more than *any* other mainstream brand:

Subaru Year-to-Date Sales Up 1-Percent

Subaru November 2008 Sales Down 8-Percent

Subaru Forester Sets Record November sales, Up 64-percent

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/12/02/276488.html

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Maybe.... maybe not. Looks like people are buying Subarus more than *any* other mainstream brand:

Subaru Year-to-Date Sales Up 1-Percent

Subaru November 2008 Sales Down 8-Percent

Subaru Forester Sets Record November sales, Up 64-percent

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/12/02/276488.html

Listen:

I'm not knocking Subaru vehicles. I'm not knocking ANY vehicles actually. I'm taking a shot at somebody who, at any chance they get, takes a huge pot-shot at the domestic manufacturers with contrived spin-doctor "facts" based on nothing but fantasy and make believe.

That being said, lets put this in perspective:

For 2008 thus far, Subaru has sold 170,412 vehicles. Up from 168,469 from last year.

For November, sales of the Forester were 4,996, and the Imprezza sold 3,873 units.

In contrast, Ford sold 118,818 vehicles in November ALONE. The F-150 by itself moved 37,911 units. This is in ONE MONTH and sales are DOWN!. Ford sold almost as many vehicles in November as Subaru has sold in the entire year.

It's hard to gauge the significance when the figures themselves are so small. Toyota, Honda and Ford's figures (GM's are awful) are far more indicative of the condition of the market in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subaru's success in this market only proves they provide appealing products to a sustainable market. As long as they are making profit that is what counts.

The thing that is too bad is that all Impreza & Forester(sales increases) are produced in Japan. The balance of models (Outback, Legachy, Tribeca) are produced in the US.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
How many cars did Yugo sell this month?

Who knows but sadly it shut down this week forever.

Hirev said:
Quote:
October's seasonally adjusted annual sales rate of 10.6 million vehicles was worst in more than 25 years and far below the rate of 16 million a year earlier, according to Autodata Corp.

It's much worse than that. If you adjust for population size, the 10.6m figure is worse than the early 80s figure they're comparing to. This is an absolute disaster for the industry and it will be ugly for the foreseeable future. The industry will need to consolidate to make it thru this.

Yeah, the constant swiping at the big three is getting a little old. If you come down here to the non-rust belt the only cars from the last ten years that you see with rust are usually Mitsubishi and Hyundai. The only "domestic" vehicles I see that tend to rust from the last twenty years are cheap Mopars, but from the last five/ten years? It's all Asia, baby.

I know my Hyundai would be a rust bucket in/out of the "rust belt", that's why I get it rust proofed every year. It's 3 years old with 150,000KM on it and I never was the car during the winter and the under body, panels, rockers etc. are all in perfect condition.

A true test of a cars build and how it stands up to weather/rust is to bring it to Ontario where they salt the roads as though they are painting them white in colour. Drive it a few winters without washing the car and see the results. I will guarantee any cars paint will start to bubble and develop rust.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Newsflash - people aren't buying big ticket items!

Pabs,

I'm waiting for 42 inch tv I've been eyeing to come down to $300. Last year, it was $1499, this year it's $799. next year maybe.
grin2.gif

Overk1ll, I know you weren't knocking them. I was just pointing out that Fuji Heavy Industries is weathering the storm quite a bit better than the rest of the pack. That's notable for any company in the industry, regardless of size, and we agree that FHI is a small company by comparison to other players.
Sometimes small can be good, though, or is it that being too big is not always ideal (?...)
I do think smaller companies stay better connected to their products and their market. I think when any organization gets mega big, the ill effects of the pitfalls of human nature-- communication problems, efficiency problems, etc are mulitplied many times over and above what they are in a smaller organization, which exponentially accents the need for keen and competent leadership at the top and throughout the enterprise.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Newsflash - people aren't buying big ticket items!

Pabs,

I'm waiting for 42 inch tv I've been eyeing to come down to $300. Last year, it was $1499, this year it's $799. next year maybe.
grin2.gif

I like how you think! Being 4 years behind in technology really pays off! You never make the "Beta" mistake either.
Ian

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Overk1ll, I know you weren't knocking them. I was just pointing out that Fuji Heavy Industries is weathering the storm quite a bit better than the rest of the pack. That's notable for any company in the industry, regardless of size, and we agree that FHI is a small company by comparison to other players.
Sometimes small can be good, though, or is it that being too big is not always ideal (?...)
I do think smaller companies stay better connected to their products and their market. I think when any organization gets mega big, the ill effects of the pitfalls of human nature-- communication problems, efficiency problems, etc are mulitplied many times over and above what they are in a smaller organization, which exponentially accents the need for keen and competent leadership at the top and throughout the enterprise.

Yep, they have a small, successful product line that people seem to like. I think it's great.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
there are enough vehicles on the road. people are taking care of their cars and trucks. i currently own 3 x dodge colt, 2 x subaru, and 1 x ford focus. the ages 1995 1995 1995 1999 2000 and 2008. this is four more cars than what i need, but i collect dodge colt's so that is why it is like that.

Cars and trucks, especially by the japanese makers, are lasting A LONG TIME, and people are not buying cars from Detroit that rust out in just 2 or three years. the paint on my Ford Focus, is the worst of all my cars. all the others are japanese, and the paint is perfect, even though i live in a heavy rust belt.

Hmmm....I love Japanese cars too, but lets be honest, the paint on my Fords were EXCEEDINGLY better then any paint job on any Japanese car I've ever owned. Late model Toyotas and Hondas have sheeet paint, too thin and easily damaged....not so with my Expedition...thick as heck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back