Not your average Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently purchased a used 2003 Jaguar S-type R. I recently performed my first oil change on the beast, and at first I was kinda PO'd because I could see a FRAM logo through the underbelly tray, but after removal and inspection of the filter this thing is something completly different.

Now the only Fram filter I have ever seen for the Jaguar AJV8 in the S-type and XKs adn XJs is the PH5618 orange can of death. This filter is the typical cheap fram with cardboard endcaps, plastic button bypass valve, and nitrile ADBV.

The filter I pulled off my Jag yesterday is a white can, but is labeled as a Fram PH5618. It has a noticeably heavier can, a white ADBV (I'm assuming this is silicone), and a metal spring bypass valve.

This filter came from the service shop at the exotic car consigner where I purchased the car. They have a dedicated jaguar mechanic named "Jaguar John". I'll be giving them a call later to find out how much these filters cost and where I can source them myself.

I've seen orange Frams, Gray Frams, Black Frams, and Silver Frams; but never a white Fram.
Could be an imported filter under the 'Jaguar' OEM parts issue.
I do recall seeing factory Farraris with orange Frams installed.
If they use them, how bad can they be?

This probably isn't a Fram produced Fram. Fram may have stopped production of it due to such limited demand. It would be a first for me, but Donaldson doesn't even offer this filter and they probably rebadge a few in their line up. No one makes every filter.

I forgot to mention that this filter has the distinction of having a (normally) hydraulic filter thread. 1-12. Most hydraulic filters of that thread (even most of those that aren't of this thread) don't have a bypass valve. It's usually in the mount ..which is always remote (at least I have seen no exceptions).

I lived in England from 2000-2005, and recall seeing White can Fram's, so possibly that is what you have. Over there it is called the White can of Death....

Originally Posted By: steviestyles
I lived in England from 2000-2005, and recall seeing White can Fram's, so possibly that is what you have. Over there it is called the White can of Death....

It's ...it's the white rabbit of Inle~
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: steviestyles

Well, I won't pass judgement just yet as this filter seems to be infinitely better constructed than our domestic orange cans...

I have ordered a can opener from summit racing and will keep the filter around until I get the opener.

Gary, yeah this filter is ridiculously hard to source, I already have a post on here where I listed all of the filters with this thread size and comparable can size. The pre-1986 porsche 911 shares the same thread and gasket size, but with a thicker can.

It does indeed seem that for the first few years of the AJV8 no one but mann-hummel and Cromley (?I think that's it??), of the UK, made the filter and everybody just rebadged their filters. Recently Purolater and Fram have moved production to the Inited States.

Interestingly, there is no country of origin on the WHite Fram I just pulled off of My Jaguar.

Quote:
Interestingly, there is no country of origin on the WHite Fram I just pulled off of My Jaguar.

Any lot #'s on the end of the can? The thought being that if it is just a rebadge, it could be demasked in that manner.

Gary the only thing besides having FRAM and PH5618 printed several times around the can and the instruction for tightening (printed in English, German, then French) was this between a couple of the Fram and part # labels. It is printed in a different font than the rest.

R05V2R

I finally got around to cutting open the filter. Enjoy.

Can with lot and part number pictured, nothing special about the can, average thickness.

Base plate out side and inside, there's a small 'N' stamped on the inside.

ADBV and its assembly. I'm pretty sure this is a silicone ADBV

Element with metal endcaps. The media is a little wavy, I'm not sure if it's distorted because of poor quality or what. It is very stiff feeling. I may cut it free from the endcaps later and take a peek inside the folds.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Looks nothing like the FRAM filters I have ever seen. Thanks for the pics.

I think this may be the general consensus after a few more see the pics.

I also wonder if a couple of things like the "n" on the baseplate and the "parker 1" script on the ADBV might tell us who built this, because I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't Honeywell.

wow, this fell down the list pretty quickly, does anybody have a guess as to who might have manufactured this for FRAM? I'm fairly certain this isn't a Honeywell product.

There are a couple frams built similar to this. One that comes to mind is the fram PH9566(3/4-16) which uses metal endcaps.

What mystifies me is this. If I went to Wal-mart (or anywhere Fram filters are sold) and purchased a PH5618 off the shelf there it would look nothing like this. The orange can of death in those places looks nothing like this, with a plastic button by-pass, nitrile ADBV, and cardboard endcaps. I just wonder where this filter came from, and why Fram make two different filters with the same part number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back