Not getting the octane you pay for

The thing I'd be concerned about is that by the time they investigate the station and test the fuel, it's fine. Also, although I have a good handle on what's happening with the fuel, will I be believed?

Can't hurt to try.

The thing I'd be concerned about is that by the time they investigate the station and test the fuel, it's fine. Also, although I have a good handle on what's happening with the fuel, will I be believed?
On the other hand I’d say that it’s highly unlikely anyone here on Bitog can do anything better or different.

I remember as a kid back in the 70's, my uncle watering down the high test with the low test at his Sunoco station.

I log my car all the time as it's tuned and v. sensitive to fuel quality. I've seen some pretty horrible knock-retarding/timing correction values during live data logging and it had to be issues like this at the station. I always have the best performance with Costco 93.

Go make 90 AKI/95 RON at a known good pump save some cash, they are designed to get all their performance out of regular european fuel and never recommend premium. Even much newer vehicles have marginal gains on 98/99 RON.

but yes this stuff happens everywhere

Attachments

• 2FE03A54-3361-48D4-90E9-FCD9AA4ECA80.jpeg
    2FE03A54-3361-48D4-90E9-FCD9AA4ECA80.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Well, I actually named the appropriate agency in the reply, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
it was sarcasm, I'm sure if anyone would have an almost infinite number of regulatory agencies, it would be New York!

If possible I would stick with Exxon or Shell. Never had a bum tank of fuel from any of them anywhere.

I'm wondering what more can be said here...

OP believes he didn't get what he paid for.

Another poster provided the webpage of the agency responsible for compliance, which if you look at it has contact info towards the end of the page.

Another tact would be to contact ExxonMobil Directly - use this site: https://www.exxon.com/en/contact-us It includes a section for "Station Experience", and one of the items to comment on is fuel quality.

Or contact the fuel station directly...

The only way to hold them accountable is to report the issue to the appropriate places, and turn the heat up on them if they have in fact done something... If you just avoid them and never say anything to the agencies and powers that be that something seems amiss, should you ever expect a change?

Back