Not getting the octane you pay for

I have heard of the huge price difference between regular and premium. Here premium is only $.30-$.40 more.
The station I referred to isn't the only one with that $1 difference. It just happens to be in our small town and I was willing to give them business. The standard pricing is generally 25-30c for mid-grade and 50-60c for premium. I do remember when grades were in $0.10 increments !

However, if you are dealing with "Mom & Pop" type stores, that is likely the issue. Independents can intentionally over order the 87 octane, and have the driver drop the amount that won't fit into the premium tank(s).
It's been this way for years.
Is @GoldDot40 still around ? He's a fuel tanker driver and as I recall, he says that "no way in hell" would that happen, no matter how much the station owner tried to bribe the tanker driver.

If I had to guess, the 87 is E-10, which is pretty standard everywhere I have seen in Florida. The 93 may have been "Rec 93" which is E-0, or pure gasoline.

Rec 93 is not available everywhere, and the one station near me that I am aware of has a big sign advertising that it sells Rec 93. If I were running a station near me selling Rec 93 I would likely charge a pretty premium for it.
He''s not in Florida, but seems to be buying this fuel in NY.
Rec 93 is typically sold in FL for boats due to the hygroscopic nature of ethanol. And yes it does sell at a premium. I've seen it advertised as 99 octane, which is pretty much impossible.

The station I referred to isn't the only one with that $1 difference. It just happens to be in our small town and I was willing to give them business. The standard pricing is generally 25-30c for mid-grade and 50-60c for premium. I do remember when grades were in $0.10 increments !

Is @GoldDot40 still around ? He's a fuel tanker driver and as I recall, he says that "no way in hell" would that happen, no matter how much the station owner tried to bribe the tanker driver.
They don't need to bribe. It does matter as to who employs that driver and which stations he's delivering. What matters most to the driver is getting that tank empty so he can pick up his next load. Pump off delays don't pay well.

I'm currently in NY, driving my older Jag X-type, high compression 2.5L V6, with a manual transmission. A responsive and throaty little engine, and the engine's nature is a major reason why I keep the car.

The car absolutely, positively hates regular, low octane gas. Although it seems to be able to tolerate ethanol content pretty well, in other words, non ethanol fuel does not seem to make it run any better (maybe a touch slower than premium) and MAYBE only slightly improves MPG. With Regular, ignition timing is pulled and the engine becomes quite non responsive, quieter, mushy-feeling, and fuel economy really suffers.

So, I pay for premium fuel and enjoy proper operation. BTW, I'm burning a tank per day.

HOWEVER, I'm paying nearly $6 per gal for 93 and often getting what I think is regular. The Gulf station was the first time it happened about 2 months ago. Now it's every other fill up at various stations. I know as soon as I pull out of the station. Any thoughts on how to combat this? Stations that were once known to be good are now selling me (what I think is) low octane fuel at the premium pump.

The instant I put good fuel in, it picks right back up.

I get about 225 miles per tank on regular or "fake premium" and about 325-360 miles per tank on good fuel.

I'm about to snatch a knot in somebody's (insert bad word here). I spend a flat out fortune on fuel and want what I pay for.
Use Costco gas and have no worries

I wouldn't trust NY state to inspect properly. Too much corruption and not enough honest oversight in that govt. Most states are good about inspecting.

Can't hurt to try. At best, the inspection is legit and OP is vindicated. At worst, it isn't, and OP is no worse off than now.

Not likely that you need to include the Mafia, they've moved on to bigger things. However, if you are dealing with "Mom & Pop" type stores, that is likely the issue. Independents can intentionally over order the 87 octane, and have the driver drop the amount that won't fit into the premium tank(s).
It's been this way for years.
Buy your gas from the places that you know are reliable, and avoid the rest.
Great idea. I’m trying. It seems to be a universal problem now

I'm currently in NY, driving my older Jag X-type, high compression 2.5L V6, with a manual transmission. A responsive and throaty little engine, and the engine's nature is a major reason why I keep the car.

The car absolutely, positively hates regular, low octane gas. Although it seems to be able to tolerate ethanol content pretty well, in other words, non ethanol fuel does not seem to make it run any better (maybe a touch slower than premium) and MAYBE only slightly improves MPG. With Regular, ignition timing is pulled and the engine becomes quite non responsive, quieter, mushy-feeling, and fuel economy really suffers.

So, I pay for premium fuel and enjoy proper operation. BTW, I'm burning a tank per day.

HOWEVER, I'm paying nearly $6 per gal for 93 and often getting what I think is regular. The Gulf station was the first time it happened about 2 months ago. Now it's every other fill up at various stations. I know as soon as I pull out of the station. Any thoughts on how to combat this? Stations that were once known to be good are now selling me (what I think is) low octane fuel at the premium pump.

The instant I put good fuel in, it picks right back up.

I get about 225 miles per tank on regular or "fake premium" and about 325-360 miles per tank on good fuel.

I'm about to snatch a knot in somebody's (insert bad word here). I spend a flat out fortune on fuel and want what I pay for.
Chevron with Techron.

will Chevron with Techron help if he is getting less than the 93 octane he is paying for???...the detergents won't fix his issue: Octane will...

Bill

will Chevron with Techron help if he is getting less than the 93 octane he is paying for???...the detergents won't fix his issue: Octane will...

Bill
No, detergents have nothing to do with octane. Octane is determined during the refining process and is an inherent property of base gasoline. Like distillation, vapor pressure, etc. Adding ethanol which is like 120 octane (?) does increase the octane of the whole blend.
Base 87 octane regular for ethanol actually comes from the refinery at about 84 oct.

This fact always has me wondering about stations that offer ethanol free gas at say 99 octane for example. I have never heard of base gas of that high an octane. Maybe it's an aviation fuel or something.
Now, maybe non-eth at about 90 oct I would think is more appropriate.

In addition, there are only two grades of gas refined and shipped, regular and premium, mid grade is a blend of those two, with ethanol used as an octane booster.

I know it’s a pain to add, but would an octane booster help? That way you could just run TT regular & add as much as you need. Otherwise it may be trying a whole bunch of stations to see who the crooks are-and the newer Gulf ones seem to be a wildcard anyway (ZERO relationship to the old Gulf that was bought by Chevron long ago).

Bill
My observation was that Chevron seems to be a good quality gas so it's more likely to run well + the Techron may help keep it clean.

Talk in this thread reminds of me of this scene from the Sopranos.

I'd stick to buying fuel from big national chains ;).

The biggest issue is that most drivers are considered common carriers, and could be held personally liable for knowingly misrepresenting a load.

As with other EPA fuels programs, the highway and nonroad diesel sulfur regulations utilize a presumptive liability structure. When a violation is found, the party who owns, leases, operates, supervises or controls the facility where the violation is found, and every party upstream of that facility, who supplied the fuel to the facility where the violation is found, is presumed liable, absent a complete defense to the violation.​

I wouldn't trust NY state to inspect properly. Too much corruption and not enough honest oversight in that govt. Most states are good about inspecting.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You've defamed people you don't know. I've known several NY retail gas compliance officers. They are honest people of good character who work hard to protect the consumers of New York.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You've defamed people you don't know. I've known several NY retail gas compliance officers. They are honest people of good character who work hard to protect the consumers of New York.
The thing I'd be concerned about is that by the time they investigate the station and test the fuel, it's fine. Also, although I have a good handle on what's happening with the fuel, will I be believed?

Back