Not getting rich at this rate....

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170428_064525.jpg

Started messing around with these plants about this time last year.

Bought 5 bulbs, and by the time that they went dormant had closer to 15...looking at the stalks, they've divided quite massively this year.

More pricey than gold, and I've grown my first three Saffron fronds.

It's just me messing around to see if I can do something (as usual).

How cool! You'll be whipping up your own saffron rice or paella in no time.

What did you pay for the bulbs down in Oz? They seem to be around $1.30 USD here.

I thought you needed about an acre of crocuses to make an ounce of saffron. We have crocuses in the front of the house On sunny days in March. 3 inches is a big one. They are the first outside flower.

There appear to be cultivars of this crocus that would thrive in the climate we have here.
We could probably use some fall flowering perennials.
How neat would it be to have one's own (small) supply of free saffron just outside the back door?
Hmm...

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm looking at planting them now. I found them for about 50 cents a bulb pre-ordered for September delivery. And no, I've never heard of this place before this thread popped up daring me to check into it!

http://brentandbeckysbulbs.com

Needs to be Safron bulb.

Took my only flower to work this morning, and it was a great conversation piece...everyone has cooked with it, nearly none (only one) knew what it was and where it came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back