"Not allowed" - driveway oil change in my community

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you purchase a property that has HOA rules then you're bound by them. Personally I couldn't stand to live under rules like that. If I want to service my vehicles I don't want someone telling me that I can't use my own shop or garage to do it.

The HOA is not really needed. Most Cities have Code Enforcement which is at your fingertips if you really do live next to that guy. My house buying decision rested on not buying a house in HOA. I did have some neighbors that had a started scrap pile going in their front lawn. I called Code Enforcement, who came out and notified them scrapping wasn't permitted in private residence. The next week the police came because turns out the people in the house didn't own the house and were sqautters. Problem solved.

How do they enforce the rule? What can they do to someone if caught changing their oil?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Don't like the rules? Don't buy a house there. Couldn't be simpler.

We live in an old development with a voluntary HOA with no teeth. 5 doors up the guy has 7 cars in the front yard. Hoarders live a few doors in the other direction, no other explanation needed. Love to have the HOA enforce the rules, people are reluctant to drop a dime even when the problem affects them.

The oil change thing is typical. The rule is overlooked, people get used to doing it, then someone does something stupid and they decide to enforce an existing rule. Not like they made a new rule is it? And the guy breaking a rule he agreed to is pizzed?

Wemay, will you take your own oil & filter in? Will your BITOG membership be in jeopardy??

Sounded like the rules changed after he was living there...

I decided long ago that I will not live under a HOA. The place I am now (I rent), if someone saw me changing oil (like I did yesterday), nobody would say a word.

How about a friend's driveway, preferably out in the country a bit, or otherwise not so constrained by HOA rules?

A Firestone card works too, and Pennzoil & Quaker State seem to have rebate and / or discount coupons year round for having your oil changed somewhere using their products.

I agree what was done was very wrong. There's really no reason not to recycle automotive fluids like motor oil, transmission fluids, and gear oils and their associated filters these days.

Here, WM TLE accepts used motor oil, used motor oil filters, and used transmission filters for free to be recycled. They're the only shop accepting transmission filters for recycling in this area.

O'Reilly accepts used motor oil and used motor oil filters for free for recycling.

Autozone accepts used motor oil, transmission fluids, and gear oils free for recycling, but no filyters.

AAP only accepts used motor oil free for recycling here.

Plus, the county HHW Days in the warmer months of the year here accept all these materials plus used automotive coolant for recycling for free, one day a month.

Yah, we just moved last fall from an older (but nice) part of town to a much newer neighborhood (all houses built within the last 15 years) . Any house we looked at that said HOA in the description we immediately dismissed. Our town allows home based businesses with some restrictions of course. I was running my lawn mower repair out of one bay of my 4 bay garage. I have since basically retired, but still repair some stuff for my old and loyal customers. There are covenants that say no business on my lot. I talked to all the neighbors, and they all say, No problem, can you fix my mower? Also covenants around here really have no teeth.

In small lot close knit neighborhoods it can look trashy if vehicles linger.

Unfortunately certain people needs limits and rules.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If you purchase a property that has HOA rules then you're bound by them. Personally I couldn't stand to live under rules like that. If I want to service my vehicles I don't want someone telling me that I can't use my own shop or garage to do it.

Nothing to do with a garage if you have one. This is changing out front in your parking spot.

Run an extended drain oil and keep some newspapers on hand. Once every 6 months or so do either a friday night 2am change or a saturday morning 5 am change. Just be quick and neat about it.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The HOA is not really needed. Most Cities have Code Enforcement which is at your fingertips if you really do live next to that guy. My house buying decision rested on not buying a house in HOA. I did have some neighbors that had a started scrap pile going in their front lawn. I called Code Enforcement, who came out and notified them scrapping wasn't permitted in private residence. The next week the police came because turns out the people in the house didn't own the house and were sqautters. Problem solved.

X2, I use Code Compliance all the time, I file complaints online, Don't even have to call. Home owners around me have the common sense to be self governing & not live like pigs, It's the few Renters that come & go that are problems.

I have lived in HOA neighborhoods when I was a kid.....No thanks, Even at a young age I saw the pettiness of HOA's.

These rules serve a purpose. You know there's always that one idiot that would just pour oil into the street or something.

I don't fault the HOA one bit. They looked the other way in the past and really aren't petty at all. It was these knuckleheads that ruined it for everyone else. And NO, I'm not turning in my BITOG card because of it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake
These rules serve a purpose. You know there's always that one idiot that would just pour oil into the street or something.

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Don't like the rules? Don't buy a house there. Couldn't be simpler.

We live in an old development with a voluntary HOA with no teeth. 5 doors up the guy has 7 cars in the front yard. Hoarders live a few doors in the other direction, no other explanation needed. Love to have the HOA enforce the rules, people are reluctant to drop a dime even when the problem affects them.

The oil change thing is typical. The rule is overlooked, people get used to doing it, then someone does something stupid and they decide to enforce an existing rule. Not like they made a new rule is it? And the guy breaking a rule he agreed to is pizzed?

Wemay, will you take your own oil & filter in? Will your BITOG membership be in jeopardy??

Sounded like the rules changed after he was living there...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Yup, in our HOA by-laws and now strictly enforced.

Sounds like they were already in the by-laws and, like others have mentioned, the HOA started enforcing after a couple of knuckle heads acted knuckle-headedly.

Our HOA has teeth, but they're more like a puppy that gets a little carried away over stupid [censored], but doesn't do anything but roll over and show its belly when a bad guy breaks into your house while you're gone.

Yup, in our HOA by-laws and now strictly enforced. It appears that a couple of unscrupulous residents were caught dumping used oil into the ground after an OC. The neighbors not only called the HOA but the county as well. So... i now carry a Firestone Credit Card and will be using their services in the future. It appears they've secured a contract with Quaker State and Pennzoil. Im not sure if the filters used are still Champs Lab. Thankfully, they still offer the $19.99 special throughout the year.

Live in a house with a garage if you like to work on your own car. Problem solved. Working on your car in your driveway not only looks sloppy, but it's a great way to lose parts/tools and have your Jack stands sink into the asphalt if you don't have a concrete driveway. I think HOAs are great in this sense. Yeah, you own your house/land but you're also part of a community and you need to respect that. If you don't like it then move.

Last edited:
Sometimes I change my own oil. Sometimes the dealership and sometimes a chain store. Yes, a CHAIN STORE. Not a big deal friends. I won't allow the BITOG ocd to take hold. I live in an HOA community too and love it. OP, your vehicles won't miss ah beat.

All the houses we've looked at that were in HOA's had very relaxed rules. We always look at the rules before we consider putting in an offer. So far every HOA has stated that all mechanical work has to be done in your driveway and not in the street.

These HOA rules I can live by.

I don't fault the HOA one bit. They looked the other way in the past and really aren't petty at all. It was these knuckleheads that ruined it for everyone else. And NO, I'm not turning in my BITOG card because of it.
wink.gif

I get not faulting them too much for it -- probably the most productive reaction -- but I don't really get why it's not enough simply to have a rule against *dumping the oil on the ground*. It's not like a DIY oil change logically leads to dumping the oil on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back