Not a unicorn, but these can't be that common...

Back in college in 1983 one of my roommates had a Ford Grenada with bench seats and a manual tranny. Ford has a long history of manuals. LOL

In my neck of the woods, a used car with manual transmission goes for way less than an automatic, not many people can drive a stick anymore.

Hard to tell actual condition from pictures alone, but my first impression is that the car has been taken good care of. And people that take care of their cars (you can tell by condition at 200K) generally don't skimp on maintenance. I wouldn't let the miles scare me if the car is as clean as it appears in the photos. Solid buy, and the 6 sp manual makes the deal even sweeter.

I've seen a surprising number of first gen Fusions for sale with the stick shift.

It's the successor to the Contour which also had manuals, though the Contour had them behind both 4- and 6 cylinders!

IMO they're stealing sales from, say, GM, who figured it wasn't worth it.

Is the 6 speed manual available on just the 4 cylinder? If my commuter car were to ever die one of these days, this is right along the lines of what I would want to replace it with. But not sure I could stomach a 4 cylinder for my commute though-- half my drive is narrow 2 lane roads with few passing opportunities, decent power is almost a necessity to make safe passing maneuvers around the slow people doing 45 in a 55mph.

Is the 6 speed manual available on just the 4 cylinder? If my commuter car were to ever die one of these days, this is right along the lines of what I would want to replace it with. But not sure I could stomach a 4 cylinder for my commute though-- half my drive is narrow 2 lane roads with few passing opportunities, decent power is almost a necessity to make safe passing maneuvers around the slow people doing 45 in a 55mph.
Don't knock the 2.5 liter four cylinder. The problem with the 6 cylinders in the Fusion is engine space. As in, there isn't any.

Don't knock the 2.5 liter four cylinder. The problem with the 6 cylinders in the Fusion is engine space. As in, there isn't any.
The same can be said for most any transverse V6 (especially the DOHC variety) mounted in a car.

9 second 0-60 in the 4-banger (I might be rounding up, but not too far off) wouldn't do it for me. There's plenty of 4-cylinder cars I wouldn't mind owning (and have owned plenty), but the Fusion isn't one of them. If I were ever going the economy (slow car) route, it'd be in a small car that gets stellar gas mileage, not a largish sedan. JMHO.

does Wolwo have a Transverse 5 cylinder in their recient past?
I thought I saw one ( 1) XC station wagon, not the suv, or 2) an AWD V60, 70 or whatever it was ).

In my neck of the woods, a used car with manual transmission goes for way less than an automatic, not many people can drive a stick anymore.
I’ve always found that’s only true when I go to sell

When I try to buy a stick they are always unbelievably more expensive than an auto

Depends what it is of course, maybe for some thing like a Fusion, the manual may be a bit cheaper, but for most cars I find they are about the same. Odd balls like a 2wd 4cyl Escape mtx are very basic so would be cheaper than the automatic version I guess. I think down in my used price range manuals are almost always sought after because they are pretty simple to tell from a road test if they are ok.

According to Ford corporate :
Our records indicate that out of the total production of 283,987, there were 4,799 produced with a Manual Transmission

does Wolwo have a Transverse 5 cylinder in their recient past?
I thought I saw one ( 1) XC station wagon, not the suv, or 2) an AWD V60, 70 or whatever it was ).
And a transverse 6 cyl. What a nightmare to service

Back