Not a Chicago screw but made out of one piece?

I would like to know what the hardware in question is called. It looks basically like a Chicago screw but is made out of one part. It's used a fastener on adjustable vintage leather straps. I have looked everywhere I could think of and haven't found it. It looks exactly like a Chicago screw but it's made out of one piece and neither head has a slot. If I know what's called I might find it. If I can't find this hardware, I might end up using a Chicago screw but I;'ll have to glue the two parts securely together with epoxy on the threads. I'd prefer using the one-piece hardware,

Chicago screw:
chicago-screw.jpg

Your photo threw me off.
Your words are describing a (Hollow) Rivet that has been peened over on one side / like in the olden days.
Again, look on McMaster Carr web-site.

I would like to know what the hardware in question is called. It looks basically like a Chicago screw but is made out of one part. It's used a fastener on adjustable vintage leather straps. I have looked everywhere I could think of and haven't found it. It looks exactly like a Chicago screw but it's made out of one piece and neither head has a slot. If I know what's called I might find it. If I can't find this hardware, I might end up using a Chicago screw but I;'ll have to glue the two parts securely together with epoxy on the threads. I'd prefer using the one-piece hardware,

Chicago screw:
chicago-screw.jpg
Looks like a double head leather rivet. Once together it is one piece.

The hardware in question is not put together from two parts like a rivet. It's either cast or machined out of one solid piece of brass and then nickel-plated. I don't care whether or not it's plated. Here's a bad cell phone picture of the one surviving piece I have. One head had broken off the other one. I broke off the other head to see if it was threaded or pressed together from two pieces. A two-piece fastener would be too risky due to the chance of it coming apart.

07.jpg

Last edited:
I am also curious what its being used for. How can it be so critical that a proper Chicago screw or rivet is too risky but yet the hole has enough play to allow a monocoque button to be placed?

Back