NOS filter without box Ebay, have concerns?

I found a seller on ebay listing NOS AF without box. Save $10.00 on a Wix filter. But, I have concerns? Age, storage, contamination to the clean side? I'm thinking it's not worth the risk. What are your concerns? Opinions? Thank you!

I found a seller on ebay listing NOS AF without box. Save $10.00 on a Wix filter. But, I have concerns? Age, storage, contamination to the clean side? I'm thinking it's not worth the risk. What are your concerns? Opinions? Thank you!
When you're shopping for an air filter, are you buying the filter, or the box it comes in? On Ebay, there are so many buyer protections that if you say the filter is not as described in the listing, you will get your money back.

A filter as you described would not worry me, but I have never paid so much for an air filter that I could save $10 after the shipping fee that a small time seller on ebay would be adding on to final price, unless it was some global ebay dolllars-off coupon promo.

Contamination? Not at all, if it's just dust from sitting that will blow off fine. The only NOS issue I'd have is if it has an integral rubber/foam surround to seal and it's so extremely old that it has lost all pliability and crumbles or is hard as a rock so it doesn't make a seal. That usually takes 20 odd years or a very bad, chemically polluted storage environment (or stored out in the open exposed to direct sunlight).

You never know though, there are some jokers out there that will sell something they found used in a dumpster so above all I'd look at their feedback rating.

You could have probably gotten a new Wix or similar filter brand new IN the box off rockauto for less. NOS doesn't matter unless you are looking for originality for am older classic car.

Back