NorthStar oil filter recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a '99 Seville STS. The stock oil filter is quite small, especially considering the size of engine and oil volume. However, there doesn't appear to be much room to fit a larger filter.

Is there an oversize filter that will fit?

Failing that, should I look to install a remote mount? There isn't much room under the hood, GM even moved the lead acid battery to under the rear passenger seat! If there were lots of space I would seriously consider fitting a bypass system.

This weekend I will put in some dino oil and new filter, one bottle of Auto-RX, and see if I can get the oil consumption less than 1Qt./1000 miles
frown.gif

Keith.

Several points. If you gave us the filter number, we might know an oversize for it, ie, the PF 52 is commonly used as an oversize for the PF 47.

Exterior size has little to do with filter area. I have cut open large agent orange filters and found less filter area than other, smaller filters. I found a PF 1177 had over 3 times the area of a similar size PH 3950.

You best bet might be a known, quality filter such as the AC or WIX specified. A better oil filter will lead to higher oil pressure and perhaps more oil going wherever it is going. I had a Grand Am with the HO quad 4 that used almost that much oil. Switching from a PF 47 to a PF 52 didn't reduce oil usage in it. I now have a Caviler with the Ecotec 4 that I am running as much as 4000 miles without adding any oil.

Even more confusing, I have been reading here that not all filters that come in the same box, are the same. The PF 1177 that I found to have more filter area than other brands came from K-Mart several years ago.

The AC Delco parts are:

PF61
PF58 Ultraguard
UPF58 Ultraguard Gold

Looking where the filter mounts, it is a very tight fit and a filter with larger diameter would literally touch the engine, and a longer filter would protrude below the engine and be at risk of getting hot by a rock.

Anyway, how does the PF58 and PF61 compare size wise? I will go off to the parts store later today and hopefully they have both in stock so I can do a visual compare. Other option is a remote mount.

Keith.

Keith, Not familiar with underhood space on your car but I once added a remote filter to an Olds and placed it behind the headlight assembly and in front of the battery. I used a filter bracket that would take either the 1 or 2 qt chevy truck filter. Even the 2qt filter fit fine in that location. I am sure Ralph would tell there has to be a spot to put in a bypass.

You really don't have any other option. The filter on the Northstar is very close to the block on one side and very close to the frame on the other side. I tried a Mobil-1 M1-203 (PF24) but the filter is too wide. Your car calls for a PF58 (no ADBV) but you can use a PF59 (with ADBV).

I currently use a Mobil-1 M1-206 for my Northstar.

Hopr this helps...

wink.gif
I've walked away from a few. I started selling submicronic bypass filters when the only ones that were a challenge for me were the Lincoln cars.
I can squeeze a Motor Guard M-30 into a 5" x 8" space. I managed to mount a M-30 for the lube oil and ATF side by side on my Camry. I wrapped the M-60 to protect it and stuffed it behind the strut tower upside down for the fuel. My Legacy Subaru has the ATF and fuel still in the box and laid in a low place. I had a good place to mount the lube oil filter with a couple of short hoses down to the Perma-Cool sandwich adapter. I had a FL 1A Motor Craft filter on it but it was too long. I installed an FL-300 instead. If you can't find a good place to mount a Motor Guard under the hood they make a decent hood ornament
grin.gif
You could glue a couple of wings on it or paint a bulldog face on it LOL.
My sisters GEO Prism had a one gallon windshield washeer tank. I removed it and mounted her old Frantz filter for the ATF and a Motor Guard M-30 for the lube oil. I then installed a JC Whitney one qt washer tank in a different spot. I always put the lube oil filter in the best spot because I have to change it every 4,000 miles, the ATF about once a year, fuel about every 100,000 miles.
If I went to the trouble of installing a bypass filter under the back seat it would be one that cleans oil and doesn't leak.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bobby B:
I currently use a Mobil-1 M1-206 for my Northstar.

cool.gif
I've used the M1-206 on my parents' Caddys, got a very good UOA on mom's. Dad's is brand new. Only problem is that it takes some patience to get it to thread on. Parts store guy told me there is more than one set of threads cut into the filter.
confused.gif
Keep turning it "lefty-loosey" and wait for it to seat, then tighten it. It will likely take a few tries. The AC has always screwed right on no problem.

I would simply put the best stock sized filter on there I could find and call it a day.

Northstars sometimes report relatively high oil consumption due to internal clearances and/or leaks. My guess is that Auto-RX will probably do very little for you.

If you are running dino oil, one of the High Mileage engine types might help as they seem to run a little on the thick side.

What weight have you been running? Do the Northstars spec 5W-30 like most GM products? If so, even moving to a robust 10W-30 might help with consumption.

Filter wise I would use a Wix/Napa Gold or a Baldwin/Hastings.

John

It's the same filter used on LS1 based engines, ther e is a longer version, but check for clearance first, the Northstar's filter hangs down a little and comes close to the frame.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Do the Northstars spec 5W-30 like most GM products? If so, even moving to a robust 10W-30 might help with consumption.

cool.gif
My mom's '99 N* calls for 10w-30, my dad's '04 N* calls for 5w-30 but the book says you can use 10w-30 also. The M1-206 filter is about 1/2" shorter than the PF-61 but that's a small enough difference that the element inside isn't necessarily smaller. I'm not aware of a bigger filter for the Caddy, the PF-61 IS a bigger replacement for a PF-44 as far as I can tell. Then too, filter size might not be a big deal since a Caddy N* holds 7.5 quarts and if it's like my mom's, it burns oil fast enough that you're always putting some fresh in anyway.
lol.gif

Most of the guys on the Caddy boards prefer K&N oil filters.

After further thought, my preference in order would be:
1. K&N. Sturdy, alledgedly good flow, screws on and off easy especially with that nut welded on the end.
2. Mobil 1 M1-206. Probably the best at filtering but can be a PITA to screw on.
3. AC PF-61, a real close 3rd. You can't go wrong with OE. Given the difference in cost though, this might be the best choice.

Unfortunately Grease's study didn't do the M1(maybe they will soon), but I'd be willing to bet that th Pure One filter will filter as good or better than the M1 filter. It's also almost half the price. A good buy in my book.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back