Nook Color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with one?

I've been considering an e-reader, but despite the screen readability of the Kindle, its too limited of a device for the price they are charging.

I've read good things about the Nook and what finally pushed me into really considering it as an alternative is that they have now been rooted or "jailbroken" with a tacit nod and wink from Barnes and Nobel turning the device into a small form factor decently performing Android tablet (think a lower spec'd version of the Motorola Xoom or Samsung Galaxy tablets). Expandable storage (up to 32GB SD card) Wifi, web browsing, email, Android apps/games, overclock the processor to 1.1GHz from the stock 800mHz and still retain all the functionality of the e-reader.

The screen quality is supposed to be better than the iPad (higher res and more "vibrant" look and less glare). No multi-touch though, just a "two-point" touch screen so things like pinch-zoom do work.

So basically I'm weighing the option of buying a slightly less functional and much smaller form factor iPad like device. The form factor is attractive to me since its not much bigger than the average paperback and would work great for places I would normally haul my laptop to for basic web access.

Suggestions, comments, experiences?

I would add-has anybody been able to tether an Iphone to a jailbroken Nook-I'd like to have a bigger screen without having to use a laptop?
35.gif

My understanding is that they are just now getting bluetooth working using the latest Android 2.2 (or 2.3) builds and that there is a special build for the Nook who's name escapes me that runs bluetooth with tethering along with Honeycomb (3.0) that is on the Xoom having been brought over to the Nook too.

B&N is also releasing an SDK for it to allow further expansion of its capabilities (through apps). I think its fantastic that B&N has given a tacit nod to those who are interested in a Nook for Nook + tablet functionality rather than pulling an Apple and locking everything down as tight as possible.

Honestly, it can't hurt their bottom line. People who wouldn't normally be interested in an e-Reader will purchase the hardware and people will still purchase the e-books.

Some have suggested this might have been part of the plan all along from B&N as there are no hardware lockouts that have to be bypassed and the Nook boots by first checking the SD card which is why its so easy to root/jailbreak them.

Last edited:
I got a Nook B&W for Christmas. Meh......I guess the luster fell off. I don't use it very much honestly. I would go color I guess, but really I'm not the ereader type. It works but sucks with PDF's. My nighttime reading is all investment stuff in paper or gun mags and ads and stuff......none on the Nook.

My wife has the Nook Color and really likes it. The new update makes it a lot better now that it has Flash capability and a limited set of apps (more should be coming). She uses it just as much for internet and email as reading. We loaded a bunch of movies onto it and used it to watch movies on our vacation while on the plane. Worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back