Noob questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there folks, budding oil nerd here.

I've always been a purveyor of good oil filters and always eager to spread the word about what's good and what's not.

I hear a lot of talk here about GC.

What's so great about GC?

Also, how do I know that a certain quart of syntec is the "green" GC that everyone is talking about? I'd like to try a few quarts out.

Also, I've heard rumor that Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic?!! Any truth to that? That's what I've been using for a long time (0w-40 in my 01 gti 1.8t) but don't want to use a blend if that's the case.

Also, if I have problems finding this green syntec, are there other brands that you guys are partial to that are around $5 a quart?

Thanks
smile.gif

welcome to GC central!

Bottles of Green GC can be identified through a combination of 2 things..

1. on the back of the bottle, it must read "made in germany" somewhere... different years have this located in different places on the back.
2. On the bottom of the bottle, there is a manufactures code. A string of numbers usually starting with M0. You are looking for bottles that start with M02, M03, M04, up through M0501, any lower than 02 and higher than 0501 is not green.

You can also kinda get a hint of green color threw the parcially transparant level check on the side.

GC is considered by so many of us, "the holy grail" of motor oils because it is very shear stable, pure POA stock synthetic that returns excellent UOAs with very low wear metals without the use of moly addatives. It has a detergency package that is on par with most HDEOs.

quote:

Originally posted by Autobahn:
Also, I've heard rumor that Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic?!! Any truth to that? That's what I've been using for a long time (0w-40 in my 01 gti 1.8t) but don't want to use a blend if that's the case.

Never heard that rumor, and it is false.

Also, here's a pic of the rear of a GC label showing "Made in Germany":

-

quote:

Hi there folks, budding oil nerd here.

I've always been a purveyor of good oil filters and always eager to spread the word about what's good and what's not.

I hear a lot of talk here about GC.

What's so great about GC?

Also, how do I know that a certain quart of syntec is the "green" GC that everyone is talking about? I'd like to try a few quarts out.

Also, if I have problems finding this green syntec, are there other brands that you guys are partial to that are around $5 a quart?

Thanks
smile.gif

welcome.gif

The great thing about GC is that it is great at protecting your engine. It results in very low wear.

Also, Mobil 1 is still synthetic. Do no pay attention to unfounded rumors. Come to this site to stay informed.

Autobahn,

welcome.gif
to the Realm of the Elves...

Look nowhere else for the Exquisite Elixer of Elaborate Engine Enhancement...

quote:

Thanks
smile.gif

there are many dubbers using the belgian castrol (bc) syntec 5w40, made specifically for vw specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back