No spark B&S Intek 205cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Is it at all possible that the flywheel has lost all or most of it's magnetism?

Just asking.

Unless theres a lot of rust, otherwise I never of a flywheel having that problem.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Is it at all possible that the flywheel has lost all or most of it's magnetism?

Just asking.

Unless theres a lot of rust, otherwise I never of a flywheel having that problem.

The flywheel was rusty, I cleaned off the rust and sanded the magnet until it was shiny. How do you test the magnet? It seems plenty strong. When installing the new coil, the magnet held it in place until I got the mounting screws in. I had to pry it loose with a wrench to get the feeler gauge in to set the gap. have to do something. I need that little guy.

I have a Mighty Mac chipper/shredder.. I originally had a 5hp flathead Briggs on it. I wore that engine out so i took the engine off the tiller for the season. It ran so well that I just left it there. Lots of power, never bogged, never used any oil. Always changed the oil at the end of the season. Used M1 5W-30.

Rust has zero to with with magnetism people. Start with the basics. You know fuel, air and spark?

Originally Posted By: slomo
Rust has zero to with with magnetism people. Start with the basics. You know fuel, air and spark?

He said he has no spark, why would you check for fuel at this point?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
slomo said:

He said he has no spark, why would you check for fuel at this point?

Last edited:
I fixed it!! I found 2 specs for the coil to flywheel gap, .006-.010, & .010-.014. At first I had set the gap to .010, right in the middle, right? No spark, later, after R&R the coil several times, I had set it to .008. Left it for a couple of days, today I tried a different sparkplug, still nothing, R&R the coil again, and set the gap to .012. I now have spark. It runs!! Sort of. The carb is badly corroded inside. New carb on order.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'd lean towards a bad ground before I'd believe that a point 2 thousands gap would be source of the no spark.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
I'd lean towards a bad ground before I'd believe that a point 2 thousands gap would be source of the no spark.

Possible I suppose. Wish I knew for sure. You would not believe the amount of effort I put into this. I have lots of small engine experience. This is just a first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back