No sound from my Linux Mint install, output is set to dummy speakers

What happens when you type this in the terminal?

sudo inxi -Fxz

See if it lists any audio hardware that might need a driver install
What happens when you type this in the terminal?

sudo inxi -Fxz

See if it lists any audio hardware that might need a driver installed for.
A lot of info about the system drivers and hardware came up when I typed it. Here's what it says about the audio:

Audio:
Device-1: AMD Trinity HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:01.1
Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: Biostar Microtech Intl Corp
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-213-generic

The mobo and processor are 11 years old. I figured the latest version may not have the drivers for such oldies. If I used ver 15 or thereabouts, sure, the drivers likely are there but the OS would not be upgradeable anymore and pose security issues.
It's the opposite, I'd highly recommend trying the latest version and see if that solves the problem. As somebody else noted, Mint 19.x had sound issues.

I have downloaded Linux Mint 21.3, tried it but still no joy.
What does aplay -l show?

Here's what I see when I ssh into my Mint 21.3 box, which is running kernel 6.5.0-25-generic:
Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 12.36.36 PM.jpg

My current HP Laptop will not support sound on Linux so I am stuck with windows until the kernel catches up to the hardware. I can still use Bluetooth audio. I'm slightly optimistic that the next release of Fedora will solve my problem as I really dislike windows.

My current HP Laptop will not support sound on Linux so I am stuck with windows until the kernel catches up to the hardware. I can still use Bluetooth audio. I'm slightly optimistic that the next release of Fedora will solve my problem as I really dislike windows.
I think you would be better served with a Debian based, or Debian itself, if you can move away from Fedora.

HP laptop and Windows became tightly coupled under their previous management.

Debian is great, nice solid and reliable but often not the best choice for someone with newer equipment. I currently am dual booting Windows and Debian but no support for sound on my laptop. Fedora on the other hand will probably support my equipment much sooner. So I have my fingers crossed with the next Fedora release.

Debian is great, nice solid and reliable but often not the best choice for someone with newer equipment. I currently am dual booting Windows and Debian but no support for sound on my laptop. Fedora on the other hand will probably support my equipment much sooner. So I have my fingers crossed with the next Fedora release.
Probably right since my newest computers are 10 years old!

I'm running FreeBSD on an older HP ProBook 450 and everything works perfectly. Upgraded it to FreeBSD 14.0 last night (it was on 13.2) and am so far pretty happy with it. Sound and video acceleration both work, I was streaming Nightwish from Youtube when I was in the bathroom and everything was working great, lol.

There's a "User friendly" FreeBSD spin-off called GhostBSD:

Which might be worth trying. FreeBSD updates tend to be on a more relaxed release cycle, unlike Ubuntu/Mint where there are piles of updates almost daily.

Just finished installing Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit into an AMD A4 3.7 GHz rig. Everything works except sound output. The icon for speaker volume at the right lower corner is there, I can change volume output level via the slider there. But there is no sound from my speaker plugged into the rear or front sound jack. I look into the sound settings, the sound output is directed to Dummy Speaker icon, and there is no other choice displayed. Yet, if I switch hard disks to boot into Windows, the sound is there, loud and clear. What's going on, and how do I fix this?
Have yoylu tried the software store, or synaptic package manager?

Have you tried the software store, or synaptic package manager?
I have tried ka9's suggestion
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

One more thing that's developed, the keyboard is unstable. It keeps on repeating a few times the character I just pressed briefly, or does nothing at other times whenever I press any key. No change if I use another, good keyboard.

I think I'm giving up on this Linux Mint thing.

still a no go, Overkill. Ran the command, the result is

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package aplay

Back