No sound from my Linux Mint install, output is set to dummy speakers

Just finished installing Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit into an AMD A4 3.7 GHz rig. Everything works except sound output. The icon for speaker volume at the right lower corner is there, I can change volume output level via the slider there. But there is no sound from my speaker plugged into the rear or front sound jack. I look into the sound settings, the sound output is directed to Dummy Speaker icon, and there is no other choice displayed. Yet, if I switch hard disks to boot into Windows, the sound is there, loud and clear. What's going on, and how do I fix this?

Sounds like you have checked all the boxes. After the install did you do a system update? Sometimes AMD doesn't play well with Linux. All else, go to the Mint forums. Tons of help there.

In the terminal:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

You might not have a driver available for your chip. This could mean its not supported at all, or that you have to download the source and compile it manually. In my experience if it's not supported on an ubuntu based distro right out of the box then its probably not worth fussing over.

You can get something like this off of amazon for $89 and it will sound much better than your onboard sound anyway. Just need to plug it in to a usb port and it will work for you.

You might not have a driver available for your chip.
That would be my guess. (In MHO - when other sound options not displayed) - I would at least look on the WWW to see drivers/options

I have a stand alone SB card which works great, BUT with my old MB for whatever reason that defective MB would want to use the MB sound settings/chips which of course resulted in no sound.....

Why v19.2? That's going on five years old. v21.3 is latest.
The mobo and processor are 11 years old. I figured the latest version may not have the drivers for such oldies. If I used ver 15 or thereabouts, sure, the drivers likely are there but the OS would not be upgradeable anymore and pose security issues.

The mobo and processor are 11 years old. I figured the latest version may not have the drivers for such oldies. If I used ver 15 or thereabouts, sure, the drivers likely are there but the OS would not be upgradeable anymore and pose security issues.

You're always better off using the latest version. I doubt they removed drivers you need for your system, they don't generally remove stuff until its extremely antiquated.

You're always better off using the latest version. I doubt they removed drivers you need for your system, they don't generally remove stuff until its extremely antiquated.
Well, the 19.2 version apparently does not have the complete sound driver, hence the problem I posted.

However, I will try to download and install ver 21. But I won't get my hopes up too high.

Driver on Linux are all incorporated into the Kernal. You can't really go to an outside source and update them. The best option is to get the latest version of Mint, which will have updated drivers. If that doesn't work, try Ubuntu. Not much different to operate, and I've found it more compatible with AMD stuff.
Same thing goes for chipset drivers, they're all in the kernal. So when updating Bios, for example, and the website says to update the chipset drivers first, you don't need to do that.
You can also go to "additional drivers" in Linux and check for updates.

Driver on Linux are all incorporated into the Kernal. You can't really go to an outside source and update them. The best option is to get the latest version of Mint, which will have updated drivers. If that doesn't work, try Ubuntu. Not much different to operate, and I've found it more compatible with AMD stuff.
Same thing goes for chipset drivers, they're all in the kernal. So when updating Bios, for example, and the website says to update the chipset drivers first, you don't need to do that.
Mint is effectively Ubuntu with a different GUI.

Drivers (modules) outside the kernel are available for some devices, most famously a lot of video cards where the OEM actually put in the effort to make them.

Just finished installing Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit into an AMD A4 3.7 GHz rig. Everything works except sound output. The icon for speaker volume at the right lower corner is there, I can change volume output level via the slider there. But there is no sound from my speaker plugged into the rear or front sound jack. I look into the sound settings, the sound output is directed to Dummy Speaker icon, and there is no other choice displayed. Yet, if I switch hard disks to boot into Windows, the sound is there, loud and clear. What's going on, and how do I fix this?
What type of computer? Linux Mint 19 had known Audio issues. Can you upgrade to a newer version? Third it sounds like apple computers had more issues with this than others. PM me for more if you can't resolve this.

Try reinstalling Alsa player. I upgraded a version of Ubuntu on my Lenovo a while back and the same issue. You can also open a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T and type "Sudo apt-get update" then "Sudo apt-get upgrade"

I dropped Mint as the last few versions had usb transfer problems and would time out. I like Ubuntu Studio as it offers alot of extras. By the way OP did you install the restricted extras in the terminal this may help.

I dropped Mint as the last few versions had usb transfer problems and would time out. I like Ubuntu Studio as it offers alot of extras. By the way OP did you install the restricted extras in the terminal this may help.
That's odd, as Mint 21.x is just Ubuntu Jammy under the hood.

Another possible reason for this is that there are several different audio channels which may be configured differently. The channel you need may be disabled. There's an app called QAS Mixer that will show you all the channels and let you mess around with them (turning on & off, adjusting volumes). Try "sudo apt install qasmixer" and then run it to see.

Back