No opportunities? Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading on here that there are no opportunities to make money in this economy, but I have to beg to differ. There are ample opportunities if you're willing to look outside the box.

Last fall my wife and I attended a township trustees meeting, and the subject of cemetery records was brought up. The township had been looking for someone to compile the cemetery records and put them into some sort of a computerized database (they were then hand written on large charts). The 4 cemeteries range from a pioneer cemetery that's just over an acre in size, to a cemetery that's currently in use that's just over 10 acres in size. The township had been looking for "a few years" for someone to take on the project, but could find no takers other than a guy who would do most of the work by "witching" the graves and wanted to charge an outrageous fee to do so.

I made a motion and offered to research the project and get them a proposal by the next quarterly meeting. My wife and I spent some time figuring out what it would take, researched software (I decided to write my own), and put together a proposal.

Our proposal was eagerly accepted at the December meeting. Since it was winter we wouldn't being the actual mapping until spring. Over the winter I spent a couple snowy afternoons writing a fairly simple database. There are a couple commercial software programs available, but I could customize mine for our needs. In all I had about 5 hours into the software.

Between May and July we spent 6 Saturday mornings (from 2-4 hours each) in the cemeteries recording the data from the headstones. We'd return home, and during the week enter the data into the program. Today is our last day working in the cemetery for this project, and we've determined that it takes about an hour of work for each acre of cemetery land, including listing the data, comparing it to records, and entering it into the program. I get to spend time with my wife, it keeps us outside and gives us some additional exercise, and it's a fascinating history lesson when we realize how difficult life was in the 1800's. Imagine parents passing away when they were in their 30's, surrounded by the graves of their children, none of which lived beyond 4 or 5 years old.

This week we received a call from the secretary of a neighboring township who would like to meet with us, along with representatives of two additional townships (3 in all) and discuss having us write a proposal to do the same thing in each township. I have no doubt they know what we'll charge, and the proposal is just a formality. Now that the software is complete, we'll do one more this fall, we may work during the winter if the weather permits, but we should have the three additional townships finished by this time next year. The amount we'll make, after taxes, will be enough to nearly pay for the purchase a new moderately priced car (which we don't need and won't do).

When I hear people bemoan the idea that there's no opportunity, yet I find local townships begging for someone to take on a project like this, I have to wonder how hard people are actually looking for opportunities. Just in my county alone there are 19 townships, and there may be only a couple that have electronic cemetery records. Once we're done with our next 3 townships I may make proposals to a few other townships, assuming someone doesn't beat me to them (which I doubt). When I think of the number of townships in our county, and some of the townships in the neighboring counties, I see the potential for a nice part time job that brings in a tidy income. I'm quite certain that there are hundreds more townships across the country with the same needs. I have no doubt that this would make an enjoyable family project, as well as a nice part time job for anyone willing to do it.

Of course, I could have spent the time in front of the television, or playing video games. But then, I wouldn't have found this opportunity if I'd been doing those things, would I?

Right!

Gotta get away from the mindless video games, exercise some creativity and make it happen!

Ivde been dying to hire 2-3 folks with some specific capabilities, and despite all the engineers we graduate, nobody has nearly the right qualifications. Opportunities are out there if willing to know something besidea the bare minimum.

Maybe it takes years for an engineer to gain those capabilities and not some recent college grad with a degree that the ink hasn't dried yet ?

You mean there's money in death and government contracts?
laugh.gif

J/K, this sounds like an awesome side deal.

32.gif
My grandpa worked as a (young) town clerk in 1940 and sold himself his own grave site. He was then buried in it 69 years later!

Good Going Pop Rivet. My current job takes me to most of the town and city halls in south east MA. Fascinating places.

The main problem is jobs are changing in the US and world. People without proper training will find them selves technologically unemployed. Some of the more manual factory work will never come back to the US. Its either automated or is overseas.

Learning new skills is part of growing. There are probably no jobs that will last 45 years (entry to retirement) without retraining.

In my line of work (IT) the impact of outsourcing has been devastating. In this part of the woods the only actual "employees" are a select few admins and their managers. Running 8 niche websites help, but none of them have taken off. So I keep creating them, hoping something sticks.

Ya can't wait for the government to create good jobs, (unless you are in the solar panel business) you have to find a need and fill it. Sometimes it's government which needs the service, but their bureaucracy moves pretty slowly.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Between May and July we spent 6 Saturday mornings (from 2-4 hours each)

The amount we'll make, after taxes, will be enough to nearly pay for the purchase a new moderately priced car (which we don't need and won't do).

You're bragging about this?

I could have worked 1/2 as many hours and made enough to buy two Corvettes and an M5

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

The amount we'll make, after taxes, will be enough to nearly pay for the purchase a new moderately priced car (which we don't need and won't do).

I could have worked 1/2 as many hours and made enough to buy two Corvettes and an M5

Lol.

But seriously as a taxpayer, that is horrid pricing structure and I'm surprised that the cost structure for that work isn't audited. What's being said here is that $20k of taxpayer money was spent for 24 hours of work each (say 50 hrs total for two spent) or nearly $400 per man-hour.

High-grade government employees in high-cost localities have a fully burdened man hour rate of roughly $130 which includes facilities, etc.

I have no beef with pop making good money, but it just strikes me as to the inefficiency of the private sector cost structure that occurs... Much to the ignoring of the folks who like to belittle government all the time... That's not a political statement but rather an observation of cost structure. I applaud pop for finding a need and profiting from it, and his point is sonvalid that opportunity definitely exists if you look for it.

Pop that's pretty cool, and definitely creative and out of the box. And I 100% agree with you, plenty of people complain about not being able to find any kind of work, but they don't try to think about something different, like what you did/are doing. Nice work!
smile.gif

I think you guys are getting bogged down in the details of Pop's price structure - don't forget that he spent a few afternoons writing the code before doing the survey.

You would be surprised how much people (including your federal government) will pay for specific expertise (the code) and specific work (the survey). I wouldn't focus on the hourly rate of walking around graveyards (he didn't include his mileage, or his other business development time, or his research) - I would instead consider how cheaply anyone else could have done it: develop the software, conduct the surveys, archive the records...

Very creative and an excellent example of opportunism at its finest. $400/hour with very little overhead is amazing. Where else can one make money that easy (credit to Pop Rivet's initiative and ability to build a database - Access or something else)?

Even then, there are numerous off the shelf cemetery management programs for under $500 : http://www.cemeterydatabase.com/Prices.html

Like JHZR, I am surprised that the township would approve this with no bid process or other input. It seems to be extremely short sighted. Shoot, they could have bought their own program and gotten the work done by a college intern for a pittance (Under $5,000 easily).

Kudos to the entrepreneur spirit. It appears there is still some hidden gravy train to be sought after.

Last edited:
I'm glad you thought up and made this opportunity occur!
Maybe go to other towns now and offer the service?

But in general, the job market is tough. The luxury of starting a new business requires previous success and something to live on in the meantime.

Don't forget the personal "icing on the cake", of seeing all of those people,who but for personal decisions and choices would have been above ground longer.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

The point of the post passed you by. The point is there's opportunity out there if someone wants to go after it.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Access or something else)?

Even then, there are numerous off the shelf cemetery management programs for under $500 : http://www.cemeterydatabase.com/Prices.html

Like JHZR, I am surprised that the township would approve this with no bid process or other input. It seems to be extremely short sighted. Shoot, they could have bought their own program and gotten the work done by a college intern for a pittance (Under $5,000 easily).

Yes, it's in Access. I used Access because it's readily available, very flexible and will be around forever. After I'm gone anyone with some VBA knowledge will be able to update it if they so desire.

The townships have talked to professional companies who charge much more than I did. The professional companies have services included that the small townships simply don't need, such as high end software (made for large cities) and web based solutions. They've also discussed it at quarterly meetings for several years (the meetings almost no one attends). The township isn't a town per se, but rather just a local taxing authority far too small to consider an intern (the trustees only earn $100/year and they're the only employees). The township oversees several things in their jurisdiction, one of which is cemetery maintenance. No one else wanted to do the work and research involved, which is why they were happy with our proposal. They've tried for a very long time to get someone to do what we're doing at an affordable cost.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'm glad you thought up and made this opportunity occur!
Maybe go to other towns now and offer the service?

But in general, the job market is tough. The luxury of starting a new business requires previous success and something to live on in the meantime.

At least for me, this would never be a full time venture. It's something to do on a few free mornings when we're up early anyway. I'm not sure that it would ever be something that, without a significant price increase, would ever be viable as a year round business. But as something different for a short term part time basis I'll do it for a few townships. I'm hanging up my programming/consulting shingle at the end of this year, and my wife is going Of Counsel, so our spare time will increase. I have my work at the winery that keeps me busy, and we have our therapy dog work as well. This will just be a part time addition for a while. I can't stand the idea of not doing anything, so if I can have fun and make money at the same time then it's that much better. If we do no more than the 3 additional townships, once we're finished I'm sure we'll find something else to keep us busy and active (along with an income stream).

In addition to being lot of fun, it's something entirely different, and my hope is it might get a couple people to think outside the box-those who are sure there's no way to make extra money in this economy. Perhaps one or two folks here will start thinking, and rather than parking in front of the television, go out and find something to increase their income. I suspect if I wanted to carry on with it I could make a semi-permanent part time job, although I wouldn't care to fight the winter snow reading the headstones.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The main problem is jobs are changing in the US and world. People without proper training will find them selves technologically unemployed. Some of the more manual factory work will never come back to the US. Its either automated or is overseas.

Learning new skills is part of growing. There are probably no jobs that will last 45 years (entry to retirement) without retraining.

Which is exactly why it's so important for people to get creative and do new things. What I'm doing with the cemetery mapping is something anyone could do (there are canned programs available, some of which are very nice). The rest isn't rocket science; anyone with a pen, paper, computer and time can do it. The fact that it adds a nice little income stream, and is enough to pay our property taxes for a few years is well worth the time investment (and it could be for anyone else). It would be a fantastic opportunity for a family with early teen children; simple, yet requires dedication to get it done and get it accurate. If you get a dad, mom and a couple kids out verifying the headstones you could knock out a large cemetery in very short order.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Don't forget the personal "icing on the cake", of seeing all of those people,who but for personal decisions and choices would have been above ground longer.

The final section we did today is the oldest in a cemetery established in the very early 1800's. Seeing a mother and father who died before they were 40, along with 4, 5 or 6 children who never made it past the age of 8 or 9, serves as a poignant reminder of how hard life was back then. In the pioneer and older cemeteries this is very, very common. There are also a number of headstones that are completely unreadable; whoever these folks were is lost forever.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think you guys are getting bogged down in the details of Pop's price structure - don't forget that he spent a few afternoons writing the code before doing the survey.

You would be surprised how much people (including your federal government) will pay for specific expertise (the code) and specific work (the survey). I wouldn't focus on the hourly rate of walking around graveyards (he didn't include his mileage, or his other business development time, or his research) - I would instead consider how cheaply anyone else could have done it: develop the software, conduct the surveys, archive the records...

Correct. There's more than just labor involved-there's also a tangible computer program that fills the need (and I've agreed to support in the event any updates are needed for 12 months after the purchase). There's also the time at the meetings and the initial research involved. Since it's 1099 work, we work at our own pace (which is pretty fast). We only have a deadline that we have to meet-how much time it takes us is entirely up to us. We could easily work at a more relaxed pace and take twice as long per acre, but we choose not to.

Each one of the additional townships will receive a copy of the software (I'm entitled to a profit from each one) as well as the maintenance agreement (which in included in the price I'm charging for the software).

You got lucky. Right place and time coupled to confidence and likely enough skill. Glad it all lined up. I got lucky at low point of IT from 2003-2008 in similar situation with dead technology product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back