No more Sunoco soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: calvin1
The only Sunocos I know of here in Chicagoland are on the Indiana Tollway. I always wondered how they could make a business case for the 5 or 6 grades they sold. IIRC, they used to even sell an 85 octane in western New York but the EPA must have finally clamped down on that.

I dunno, but I recall gas station advertising signs stating that the 94 Octane grade was offered at the behest of super car manufacturers such as Ferrari...

Sunoco is very big here in Western New York. Many of their stations are brand new, and nice. Prices are a little cheaper than Mobil, which has the highest prices around.

We have not had Sunoco 94 in several years, some different stations even stopped selling 93 octane fuel in favor of 91 octane. On the west coast, most gas stations do not sell 93 octane at all.

Premium is usually 93 octane here. I don't see why a normal car would need anything higher since most manufacturers recommend 91 for premium.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Hopefully a merger would mean Top Tier Sunoco gas in the U.S.

Sunoco Canada (Suncor) and Sunoco US (Sunoco Inc.) are not related. They used to be and Suncor Canada licenses the trademark.

I have seen the Sunoco's in my area change over the years from the "Pick Your Own Grade" and I thought at one time thay had offered an 85 octane but, I'll say it this way; the 6 grades were...(85/86, 87,89,91,93,U94), to offering only 4 grades today...(87,89,91,93). The near by HESS Stations only offer 3 grades...(87,89,93).

There was a privately owned store not far from where I worked that offered something similar but I don't remember their name. You basicly picked your own octane. I had an old 1988 Accord that loved the cheapest gas I could find, something like 85 or 86 octane. Always got the best MPG and cost the least. Never effected performance and I beleive it actually performed best on the cheap stuff. Never pinged at WOT and actually seemed to breath better and rev higher and had better off line pickup. 85/86 octane fuel was the only gas that this Accord(carb/auto) could actually get near 30mpg city/40mpg hwy. It was all down from there when I couldn't get the cheap stuff anymore. After that, it was back to the normal MPG which was always a bit better than the EPA rating so, I'd say it was good!

Last edited:
Yep they are all converting here too.

The Petro in Stratford (that used to be Sunoco) still sells the Ultra94.

At this point I'm happily sticking with Shell V-power for the Nissan and pretty much whatever regular gas for the Satty.

I'm dumb to this kind of stuff, but does that mean that the US will soon start seeing it's sunoco stations become Petro Canada? I'd get gas there all the time I think.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'm dumb to this kind of stuff, but does that mean that the US will soon start seeing it's sunoco stations become Petro Canada? I'd get gas there all the time I think.

No, Suncor and Sunoco are two completely seperate and independent companies. Suncor in Canada and Sunoco in the States.

If you convert your Sunoco Performance Points before Nov 15 (I think) you get a bonus 2500 Petro points.

I got the card in the mail, and completed it yesterday. They also sent a 5cents of per litre of gas card with 100L on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back