No More Forester XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this news is a bit old and I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but it sounds like the Forester XT might be going away, along with Foresters with manuals (only available with the 2.5l NA engine now)...

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-w...orester-arrives

. If true, this reminds me very much of Toyota dropping the 3.5l V6 from the list of RAV4 options with their last redesign, forcing buyers to step up to a Lexus to get a small SUV of that brand that would get out of its own way in a hurry (Toyota and Lexus are the same brand to me). I looked at the Acura RDX (a CRV that can move) very closely before buying the FXT, I guess since Subaru does not have a luxury "brand" this means they would be out of the crossover/small SUV performance market for the time being and would only offer the V6 Outback wagon as a vehicle that has good utility and can also get going (assuming that engine in that model is safe).

Maybe a performance hybrid could be in the works for the Forester?

That’s a shame. I always like the look of the XT over the regular Forester. Subaru has been stuck on the same basic design for years. They remind me of Mitsubishi in that regard.

I also like the Subaru Outback model with the euro style roof rails compared to the old “safari” look of the standard models.

The safety systems are pushing the manual transmissions into history.

Yeah, the Legacy platform cars do offer the 180 degree V-6. LOL!!
The Forester market has changed over the past couple of decades.
The early Forester was consider edgy and appealed to younger drivers as well as (let's be honest) [censored] women, to whom Subaru actively marketed them.
Since the 2009 redesign, the Forester has appealed more to young families with a small kid or two as well as to (let's be honest) older women.
My wife is my age so can no longer be considered young. She loved the '09 Forester and she also loves the '17.
Neither young families nor older females feel any need for a fast turbo car, so the turbo Forester may well go away. Most young people know as much about driving a stick as I do about flying a LEM and while most older women can probably drive a stick they are likely no longer interested in doing so in a daily driver. This is the case with my wife. It would therefore not surprise me to see the stick go away as well.
This model has seen a sea change in its buyer demographic. Look at those you see driving Foresters these days.

I got rid of my '08 STI for a '14 FXT. The FXT is the family-man's WRX. My wife has the FXT now, and she's converted from a timid, laid-back driver to a lead-foot! She loves the fast-spooling twin-scroll turbo.

Subaru CANNOT do without something similar to the XT. So, they'll either come out with some new turbo wagon, a sportier version of the new Ascent, or they'll bring the FXT back a couple of years later, all in a lame attempt to garner new fervor over a relatively benign vehicle.

Either Subaru will offer a turbo motor standard in the next Forester or a nice HP/TQ increase. I find NA Subarus to be anemic on power, especially since the CR-V is pushing towards 200HP and Toyota could drop the new 2.5L Dynamic Force engine in 180HP form in the RAV4.

Of course a business argument would be not to offer a turbo engine in the Forester so it doesn't cannibalize sales of the Ascent which will come with a TGDI 2.5L H4.

The Forester is popular in my neck of the woods, Subaru is going norm-core away from their traditonal crowd. They don't call them Lesbarus for nothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Either Subaru will offer a turbo motor standard in the next Forester or a nice HP/TQ increase. I find NA Subarus to be anemic on power, especially since the CR-V is pushing towards 200HP and Toyota could drop the new 2.5L Dynamic Force engine in 180HP form in the RAV4.

Of course a business argument would be not to offer a turbo engine in the Forester so it doesn't cannibalize sales of the Ascent which will come with a TGDI 2.5L H4.

The Forester is popular in my neck of the woods, Subaru is going norm-core away from their traditonal crowd. They don't call them Lesbarus for nothing.

Since Subaru is part of the Toyota family they should just ask for that Dynamic Force engine (Mazda SkyActiv) and use it in their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Since Subaru is part of the Toyota family they should just ask for that Dynamic Force engine (Mazda SkyActiv) and use it in their vehicles.

HUH!?

Personally I thought the XT was strange but fun. Not surprised.

We will likely replace our 2005 Legacy turbo 5mt wagon with the Ascent if decent.

This is sad news indeed. While in Trinidad & Tobago late last year one of my friends showed me his Forester STi and i fell in love. We took it through some riverbeds, up and down mountains and through some gnarly pot-holed streets. His Subie is a 2004 variant. We've always been into rally inspired cars and i felt this or the XT would hit the spot now that i'm in my 40s...deep 40s.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

HUH!?

Why so surprised? Toyota’s new engine is a copy of Mazda’s SkyActiv 2.5. Mazda will be building engines to go into certain Toyota models. (Corolla to start). In return Mazda will get to use Toyota’s hybrid tech. Toyota owns around 16% of Subaru.

Japan now has the Big 3. Toyota, Nissan and Honda. All the smaller automakers are owned in part or are part of the same keiretsu.

Not surprised. Subaru is now in business of making strictly appliance cars. WRX is there, but most of products are made for people who strictly want to go from point A to point B. Nothing else.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

HUH!?

Why so surprised? Toyota’s new engine is a copy of Mazda’s SkyActiv 2.5. Mazda will be building engines to go into certain Toyota models. (Corolla to start). In return Mazda will get to use Toyota’s hybrid tech. Toyota owns around 16% of Subaru.

Japan now has the Big 3. Toyota, Nissan and Honda. All the smaller automakers are owned in part or are part of the same keiretsu.

Mazda is inline engine. Subaru is boxer engine. Would require platform change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Not surprised. Subaru is now in business of making strictly appliance cars. WRX is there, but most of products are made for people who strictly want to go from point A to point B. Nothing else.

Seems to be working for Toyota, Nissan.
Not happy about it, but there it is.

Subaru has an outdated turbo 1.6 litre that it sells in a wagon(Levorg) outside the U.S. that makes 170hp. They will replace it or update it soon with something that can be 1.5 litres to 1.7 litres with and without turbo. Under 2000cc is important in other world markets to avoid big jump in displacement tax.
Perhaps this engine is what's coming in the next XT?

Originally Posted By: 555
Subaru has an outdated turbo 1.6 litre that it sells in a wagon(Levorg) outside the U.S. that makes 170hp. They will replace it or update it soon with something that can be 1.5 litres to 1.7 litres with and without turbo. Under 2000cc is important in other world markets to avoid big jump in displacement tax.
Perhaps this engine is what's coming in the next XT?

In Japan, one can get the Levorg with the 2.0l DIT jacked up to just under 300HP (compared to 268 in the US WRX and 250 in the US FXT).
This may be available in Australia and other countries outside of North America, not completely sure.
Subaru always seems to have performance oriented cars in Japan...

Subarus are very popular where I live, yet you rarely see a Forester XT model. They only stock a few at any given time, but my area dealers have to deal with that weird distributor [censored], so they get what they get. Lots of premiums and base models. LOTS of XV Crosstreks.

“Mazda is inline engine. Subaru is boxer engine. Would require platform change.”

Maybe it’s time they did?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

In Japan, one can get the Levorg with the 2.0l DIT jacked up to just under 300HP (compared to 268 in the US WRX and 250 in the US FXT).
This may be available in Australia and other countries outside of North America, not completely sure.
Subaru always seems to have performance oriented cars in Japan...

One gorgeous wagaon...

Toyota is not using Mazda engines in any of their vehicles except for the Yaris iA which is manufactured in Mexico alongside the Mazda2 (other Yaris models manufactured elsewhere use Toyota's own engines).
A few years ago Toyota entered into a technology exchange and joint-manufacturing agreement with Mazda. The technology exchange agreement allows Toyota to use Mazda's patented Skyactiv technology in their engines, and allows Mazda to use Toyota's patented hybrid technologies in their own vehicles. This agreement also gives Mazda access to purchase other components produced by Toyota and their family of companies for use in their own vehicles (something that they desperately needed after the Ford divorce).
Toyota's first use of Mazda's Skyactiv technology in their own engines is in Toyota's AR series "Dynamic Force" 203hp 2.5L 4cyl currently being used in the Camry. Toyota has improved-upon Mazda's Skyactiv technology in this engine, and even more-so in the Atkinson cycle Hybrid engine.
It is rumored that this engine is going to be used in the all-new 2019 Rav4, along with the 8-speed automatic (thankfully) in the non-hybrid version.
There isn't any reason why this new engine technology couldn't be adapted to Subaru's boxer engines. In fact, using this technology in Subaru's boxer could make the engines even more powerful and efficient than the other inline 4cyl engines that Toyota and Mazda manufacture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123

There isn't any reason why this new engine technology couldn't be adapted to Subaru's boxer engines. In fact, using this technology in Subaru's boxer could make the engines even more powerful and efficient than the other inline 4cyl engines that Toyota and Mazda manufacture.

Toyota is taking a laisez-faire approach with Subaru - instead of taking over Subaru management with drones from Toyota City, they're letting Subie do their own thing. Compared with GM's strongarming of Subaru, it's working out - at least they haven't dropped to the same F&F and cheapness as regular Toyota, Akio Toyoda and Co. is still hellbent on his Lexus-first policy at the family business. Let Toyota build their appliances and Uber rigs(Camry and Prius), Subaru might be norm-core now but they're still some redeeming value about them.

Nissan had the most impact on Subaru - and it still shows today. You'd think there would be more Denso and Aisin stuff under the hood of a modern Subie. Back in the 1980s-mid 1990s, there was commonality between the two, except for engine and chassis differences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back