No More Centric Premium Rotors for Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have installed at least a half dozen sets over the last 5-10 years and have always been totally impressed with fit, finish and performance. Not so much with most recent set. Had to return one which had significant indentation on machined face. Replacement also had a defect on machined surface plus a couple dings, not to mention p/n engraved on edge was very poorly done with last digit not readable. Defects on replacement rotor are not bad enough for me to return and will not (IMO) materially affect performance. However, they do raise serious questions about quality control or perhaps a lowering of manufacturing standards. In any event, my next set of rotors will not be Centric Premium. Maybe I will go back to Raybestos AT or whatever is getting best reviews. End of rant.

It happens from time to time with brakes. Although quality may be dropping from outsourcing it all, you may have just gotten one that missed the quality control guys. I recently had a problem with a Zimmerman coated rotor on a 2000 528. It had a low spot so i was getting a thumping noise and feeling through the wheel, and these are OEM manufactured rotors.

Quality Control with Chinese manufacturing is different than with domestic plants. You absolutely need a vigorous offshore office or agent who will monitor the manufacturer almost 24/7, where the incentive to "bait and switch" (change manufacturing without warning to save costs) is tremendous. You can't assume anything as far as what goes into the box goes. Some companies get it, some don't, and some are just victims of occasional skull-duggery.

I would suggest you eMail them and let them know. Maybe they would want to know, and it's just a one-time problem, or maybe they are idiots. Give them the chance to at least show who they are.

Sounds like it was damaged during handling/ shipping. Nothing to do with QC assuming it happened after it left the manufacturer.

I wouldn't give up on the brand just because of 2 faulty parts. You've had 5-10 years of good experiences with them after all.

I agree. We need pics.

Just because he had 5-10 years of success doesn't mean he shouldn't drop the brand like a bad habit ASAP.

That's like your wife of 15 years starting to cheat on you outta the blue once or twice and yet you continue to be with her. Haha. Nope, time to go.

In my opinion, if the quality is suffering today, after so many years of success, definitely try emailing the company to see what's up and voice your concern.

When Mazda recently switched their oil filter manufacturer from Japan (Famous Toyo Roki) to Taiwan (I think) I was concerned about quality going down. Bought a filter to check it out and was happy to see it still be a very solid filter like before, so I'll continue to use it. Had it been noticeably cheaper looking (without the protective plastic film, for example) I would stop using them ASAP and complain to Mazda.

Art, I know we chatted about this in another thread, but are you finding parts store prices for brake parts that much higher than mail-order? At least you can look them over before leaving the store and say nope if you need to.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Just because he had 5-10 years of success doesn't mean he shouldn't drop the brand like a bad habit ASAP.

That's like your wife of 15 years starting to cheat on you outta the blue once or twice and yet you continue to be with her. Haha. Nope, time to go.

In my opinion, if the quality is suffering today, after so many years of success, definitely try emailing the company to see what's up and voice your concern.

When Mazda recently switched their oil filter manufacturer from Japan (Famous Toyo Roki) to Taiwan (I think) I was concerned about quality going down. Bought a filter to check it out and was happy to see it still be a very solid filter like before, so I'll continue to use it. Had it been noticeably cheaper looking (without the protective plastic film, for example) I would stop using them ASAP and complain to Mazda.

Your complaints to Mazda would fall on deaf ears. I really liked the Tokyo roki filters and I tried to still get them but they didn’t care that one person was wanting their old filters.

Wagner E-coated rotors are good, and so are EBC rotors

Originally Posted By: Mainia
https://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-discs-brake-rotors/

http://www.autoanything.com/brands/102A494.aspx

01.gif

At the end of the day it's Centrics name on the rotor that you are disappointed with. They should care. Send people into stores and check the rotors in boxes. Then follow-up to find out where the issues are. Quality control at the factory is one piece.

I heard, but unsure who is doing it, but was told some companies have basic rotor cast in China but final machining done in the USA.

Are these companies ISO-9001 compliant, or whatever the latest standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back