No Mobil 1 filter available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wandering around the oil and filter area of a local store, I found Mobil 1 filters on sale, and when purchased with mobil-1 oil, you get a rebate on top of that.
BOO! No catalog for what filter goes with what car.
After getting home, internet found that Mobil-1 doesn't offer a filter for my new GM Terrain. The Mobil 1 site suggested a Fram filter.

Still shaking my head.

I took advantage of that sale yesterday--$32.99 for 5qts and a M1 filter--pretty good deal. They did have M1 filters for my car which kind of surprised me because it's a cartridge type. This is basically a filter with no metal canister and guess what? The inside looks just like any other cheap filter--(appears to be) paper and cardboard. I have Mazda OE filters and comparing the two, you cannot tell the difference. Maybe that's good but the M1 certainly wouldn't be worth the $12.99 list price.

I don't know if you have more than one car but if these 'oil change deals' don't have one car's filter, I just get the other or if it's a cheap filter I offer to pay to upgrade and they're more than happy to take my additional bucks. Just ask next time.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I took advantage of that sale yesterday--$32.99 for 5qts and a M1 filter--pretty good deal. They did have M1 filters for my car which kind of surprised me because it's a cartridge type. This is basically a filter with no metal canister and guess what? The inside looks just like any other cheap filter--(appears to be) paper and cardboard. I have Mazda OE filters and comparing the two, you cannot tell the difference. Maybe that's good but the M1 certainly wouldn't be worth the $12.99 list price.

I don't know if you have more than one car but if these 'oil change deals' don't have one car's filter, I just get the other or if it's a cheap filter I offer to pay to upgrade and they're more than happy to take my additional bucks. Just ask next time.

I do exactly that - wait for the special on M1, get the oil I want, stock a nice filter for one of the other cars...I have a stash of 10 Volvo filters (Mahle) that I got for $4 ea. so I pick up a Corolla, 4Runner or MB filter...then look for oil for those cars on sale...

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

My Fusion takes a cartridge filter, and yes the M1 cartridge does look simular to other filters of this type, but the filtering materal will be differant. Can't see the differance with the naked eye.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Wandering around the oil and filter area of a local store, I found Mobil 1 filters on sale, and when purchased with mobil-1 oil, you get a rebate on top of that.
After getting home, internet found that Mobil-1 doesn't offer a filter for my new GM Terrain. The Mobil 1 site suggested a Fram filter.

Still shaking my head.

What year and engine do you have?

Thanks,
Hannibal

2011 GMC Terrain. V-6.

New filter recommended for the '11 V-6. Noticed that Fram filter for this vehicle costs more than other Frams. (Wal-mart)

Originally Posted By: tig1

My Fusion takes a cartridge filter, and yes the M1 cartridge does look simular to other filters of this type, but the filtering materal will be differant. Can't see the differance with the naked eye.

Funny you say that because i too have a vehicle that takes a cartridge filter and i too cant "see" a difference rather it be an M1 or P1 or Super Tech etc.... As to the OP i find it odd that M1 would reccomend a fram and not another Champ brand, unless Champ doesnt make one for the car at all?

2011 GMC Terrain. V-6.

New filter recommended for the '11 V-6. Noticed that Fram filter for this vehicle costs more than other Frams. (Wal-mart)

I'm not sure if it's available yet, but Mobil 1 does have or will have in the future a filter for that.

M1-212

Thanks,
Hannibal

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's available yet, but Mobil 1 does have or will have in the future a filter for that.
M1-212

Not listed on their web site, much less in any store I've checked.

I just went to there site and it came up with a M1-212 for your car. You could call the hotline number and check with them too.

About a month ago, the Mobil 1 website recommended an M1-108 oil filter for my 2011 Subaru Outback, I just checked again, and it only lists Fram Filters, no M! filters anywhere. The new blue Subaru filters are junk, now what do I do????

Still shaking my head.

2011 GMC Terrain 3.0L V6

OE filter = AC PF63
Mobil 1 filter = M1-212

This filter is new to GM but has been used by Dodge and Ford for a couple years.

In which case, you'd think the web site would have reflected that for a couple of years.
As it is, I've yet to find any M1-212 stocked anywhere.
The Jeep, Dodge, and Fords aren't that rare.
Amazon only carries a few part numbers and the other web based sellers want waaaaay to much for that filter.
Even AAP and AZ don't carry that part number on their web stores.

K&N are overpriced and over hyped.
I've looked for Pure One PL22500 and they are hard to find as well.

I'm hoping someone will start stocking them and then have a sale before the rebate goes off.

My usual source of Purolator filters stopped stocking them as Fram has taken over all their shelf space.
Rats!!

K&N are overpriced and over hyped.
I've looked for Pure One PL22500 and they are hard to find as well.

I'm hoping someone will start stocking them and then have a sale before the rebate goes off.

My usual source of Purolator filters stopped stocking them as Fram has taken over all their shelf space.
Rats!!

K&N and M1 oil filters are very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back