No/Low cost home phone service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if anyone is using either the OBi200 or OBi202 for free home phone service using Google Voice? Another option that I have looked at is NetTALK. NetTALK is not free but low rates and works over Wi-Fi.

Am leaning to the no cost Google Voice service as I already have a free Google Phone Number and use it on my Cell Phone and computers using Google Hangouts.

Only real drawback is with Google Voice there is no E-911 service but you can get it for $15.00 a year I understand. Really don't need that option as the cell phone though Republic Wireless $10.00 a month option + tax has E-911 service.

Really not ready for not having a regular phone at home and these look like viable options.

For what it's worth, if you have the internet, the MagicJack is a great option. That is what I use.

The only major negative I've experienced so far is if you talk to someone on a cell phone, the MagicJack will discontinue the call after 90 minutes and you have to wait 15 minutes before you can call them back.

Other minor negatives are is there's certain government utility type numbers that you can't call with it. (Stuff you'd dial maybe once or twice a year, if that.) Also, you can't call 911 with it. In my opinion, that's where the cell phone comes into play.

Outside of that, as long as you have a good strong internet connection, it's a keeper.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Also, you can't call 911 with it. In my opinion, that's where the cell phone comes into play.

It is not a traditional 911 service; however, depending upon your location, they do offer E911. In order to use it, I had to register my home address.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Outside of that, as long as you have a good strong internet connection, it's a keeper.

Agreed. Been using magicJack for a few years and if you need a home phone, it is a low-cost option.

I have also used NetTalk and had a pretty mixed experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used an obihai 100 with google voice for over a year.. free

then switched to phonepower for 45$/year

then back to free google voice...

But now that cell phones have unlimited minutes I disconnected it.

If anyone wants an obi 100 for 15$ shipped to your door let me know
smile.gif

Your town more than likely has a 7-digit emergency number in the phone book. These are nice to know in case 911 goes kablooey for whatever reason. Write it down on a sticker near or on your phone.

I have an Ooma Telo. $4 and change a month includes E911. Got the device for $99 with a promo code, and it was $40 to port my old number. A friend in the military has used his for cheap calls to family when stationed in Europe. He also hasn't had to change phone numbers for his last three moves.

I used the OBIHAI products for a few years, it was totally free and worked well with google voice.

I plugged mine directly into the router, then bought a cheap walmart cordless phone to make calls.

Worked fine, we rarely used it after we both got unlimited cell plans though.

I must have a land phone with Privacy Manager / Caller ID. We get so many sales, political and charity calls that we prefer to avoid answering. Do any of these inexpensive land-phone providers like Magic Jack include Caller ID and allow the use of recorded messaging?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back