No Longer using Oil Analyzers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they might be telling the truth.

Blackstone told me the same thing. All my tests results from them in the past have been within a week usually. This past time it was over 3 weeks as the USPS didn't get it there in a timely fashion.
Blackstone says this happens quite a bit as they check the date stamp.

quote:

We can't send UOA kits through the Canadian Postal Service.
They throw in garbage.
You have to put it in another package and just say it's a no value parcell.
When I do send to OA I get a fax back in 7 to 10 working days.

Is that only for samples going from Canada to the USA? I can see that being a problem since customs is really picky these days. I mail my samples to Calgary all the time and never had a problem. I even asked at the post office and they said it's fine as long as the sample bottle is in another leak-proof container and the lid is taped securely. I get my results back within a week.

Blackstone has had a quick turnaround the 3 times I have used them.

Also, they once offered to test an additive I was using *for free* to see if it was contributing to an unexpectedly high level of lead in my UOA. Pretty good customer service!

A few years ago when OA started up.......I sent two samples off.
One was ground and the other was air.
When I talked to Cathy at OA she said they came in on the same day. It was a $1.00 more to send it air, but didn't get there any faster.

I'm interested in getting an acurate analysis and if it takes more time in the queue so be it. I would not like a lab to speed up the process and short cut the analysis ( like skip calibration between runs) to save time.

Mailed my UOI sample (my first) to Blackstone about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Didn't request email report since I was switching to a new computer and maybe a new email address. Hope to get it next week. One question: I pulled the drain plug and didn't have the sample bottle under the truck with me. Had to dip the sample out of the drain pan. Will this affect results?

USPS has "Delivery Confirmation" as an option that will barcode confirm when the parcel reaches it's addressed destination.
~$.50

You can check the number on-line similar to UPS Tracking.

Alamo, that sample is no longer valid.

(visions of Ghostbusters as the pencil necked EPA man asked Venkman "and just what are you a doctor of, hmm?")

..and just what additive was this that they were going to test for you, hmmm?

I used Blackstone 2 weeks ago. I sent the sample on a Monday and the email with the results came back that Friday. Great service.

I believe it's the fear of terrorism in the mail like others on the thread mentioned. imagine our black containers going through 5-6 post offices to get to the labs and there's a suspicious postal inspector who looks at it at each post office causing the 3-4 week delay. they probably open our oil samples and contaiminate it by running their own tests on it.

Yes, if you send oil through the mail it will be delayed. I have this experience shipping used/new oil through the mail ALL the time.

Still, I used blackstone for the first time last week. Sent it Monday - UPS said they'd get it Friday. Got an e-mail around 10:00am Friday. Blackstone is A+ in my book!

Your best bet is to package the oil in a box and send it that way so it isn't as suspicious looking. Thats what the UPS guy told me - and it worked this time.

Dang...I sent out a sample, same day as yours to Oil Analyers and also haven't received my results. I thought it might be slow since the shooting on 30Jan'06 at the USPS sorting facilty, 7 workers were killed, is where my mail is sent for processing. 3 weeks in a bit long thou. BTW...I send out a sample to CAT/Butler on Friday 24Feb'06 and got my results today by e-mail (PDF file.

OILNEWBY wrote:
quote:

Hello everyone,

I have always used Oil Analyzers because I order the sample kit with my oil. This is the last time.

I sent in my sample on 2/3/06 and they still as of today do not have the analysis done. When I call to check on it they give me the same excuse, "it's the USPS's slow service". This is not the first time as I have complained about this before. I guess I could send it via certified mail.

The only problem I've ever had with OAI was when one of my samples was lost in the mail, but I believe that was the post office's fault. The woman who helped me at the post office by Midway Airport (south Chicago) had an attitude from the get-go. After a brief 'discussion', she kept barkin' about how it was going to get lost because there was no place for the return address. Well, she was right. Even though my previous samples made it every time without any issues. That sample probably wound up in the garbage before it ever had a chance...

Since then, I've just bought the pre-paid postage bottles for an extra $5 with no issues. That way I don't have to deal with the post office. It always takes about two weeks.

Gary,

They offered to test the Techron fuel system cleaner for me. Seeing as there's no VOA of it, I just might send it in.

That would help those who fear that it may be tainting their results.

Take a hit for the team pal!!

Understand from a fairly reliable source that a Oil Analyzers rep, having hear many, many complaints about slow service, had a friend drop a sample in the mail. Went from NY to Ohio in just 12 days.

Given the option, it appears that using the kit set up for UPS would be the better way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back