No longer owning the cars but still get toll bill from it

About 6 month ago I give away my old car to one of my friend , I was helping him out . But he seem like so not take any responsibility ( anyway no longer friend) I don’t want go much detail into it .

I sign the title over to his name and drop it at his door . Well few months later I still get the toll bill . I went to Dmv and told them I don’t own the car any more . They say nothing they can do . The owner never come register it but still driving around . They told me get the tag but I have no idea where he now . Lost contact
Maybe call the local police and explain the situation provide the evidence that the car was sold, including things like the bill of sale, etc.

Then they can pull the new owner over and ticket them for driving an unregistered vehicle.

Or just consult a lawyer that knows about these things, in case things get worse.

Hi guys . Sorry I was so busy with life . I got a phone call from the guy I gift the car too , I don’t event want to call him as a friend .

Anyway . He call me and told me that he finally got the car inspection and he went and register . DMV told him how much he have to pay , but he say it too much . He told me was $500 for tax title and registration . Because how much the car worth .

Here the blame part . He told me he don’t want pay for the tax and he want me to write him a bill of sale say how much I sold him the car so he don’t have to pay tax for the cars .

I don’t know he dumb or stupid but either way he still have to pay tax for the car.

I told him no . I already do the title transfer thru the dmv and I’m no longer own the car .

He told me I was rushing and could do a better way so he don’t have to pay $500 tax and register . And he told me since the car still under my name , that I’m still responsibility for the toll . Omg

I went to the dmv and print out the title history and it show that I did do the title transfer and I’m no longer responsibility for any illegal , toll . Or use of the vehicle.

I want him out off my life . I don’t want speak to him ever again .

He want me to help him pay for his car registration .

I’m done here . I will never ever help ANY BODY like this ever again. Accept my father mother and brother and family . Life lesson learn here .

Hi guys . Sorry I was so busy with life . I got a phone call from the guy I gift the car too , I don’t event want to call him as a friend .

Anyway . He call me and told me that he finally got the car inspection and he went and register . DMV told him how much he have to pay , but he say it too much . He told me was $500 for tax title and registration . Because how much the car worth .

Here the blame part . He told me he don’t want pay for the tax and he want me to write him a bill of sale say how much I sold him the car so he don’t have to pay tax for the cars .

I don’t know he dumb or stupid but either way he still have to pay tax for the car.

I told him no . I already do the title transfer thru the dmv and I’m no longer own the car .

He told me I was rushing and could do a better way so he don’t have to pay $500 tax and register . And he told me since the car still under my name , that I’m still responsibility for the toll . Omg

I went to the dmv and print out the title history and it show that I did do the title transfer and I’m no longer responsibility for any illegal , toll . Or use of the vehicle.

I’m done here . I will never ever help ANY BODY like this ever again. Accept my father mother and brother and family . Life lesson learn here .
Even if the bill of sale says, “$1” many states will charge sales tax on the blue book.

So, your bill of sale will save him nothing.

I’m sorry for the way this turned out.

No good deed goes unpunished it seems.

Sorry you have to experience this.

If owner did not take it off when the car is sold, then it stays with the car till it is transfered.
To add, if living in a state where a new owner is given new plates, the seller (even if a private sale) should take the plates off. Plus most states require the seller to file a "report if sale" to the state DMV. That's all a seller can do to disconnect his previous ownership from the car.

Except that a seller is not REQUIRED to keep the plates - its the sellers choice in Texas. Keeping them would have avoided this issue, but it was not required nor is it the law.
Call it a "lesson learned".

Back