No internet flip phone recommendation for dad

I HATE so called Smart Phones! Probably cause they do not pertain to me..... What would I be doing with a Smart Phone anyway!?
Last thing I need is a Phone smarter than me. :rolleyes:
So, all I need is a plain old flip style phone. I would break a smart phone in the very first week dropping it on concrete or hard tile floors in the house. I have bad arthritis in both hands and tend to drop things from keys to wallet, books and my cell phone all day long. I had been buying and using flip phones from an AT&T store about two miles from our house. Last time I went in there one of the "up-sale" guys tried to tell me "ha ha ha , oh my, sir we dont sell those anymore. wow! So I walked around while I left him trying to "up-sell" the wife which I knew he could not accomplish. Once I stumbled across the same exact flip phones on the shelf next aisle over , I told wife, "ok lets go, they either liars or do not even know what they have." Walked into WalMart and they have brand new , really nice and sturdy looking flip phones made by AT&T you can get for $39 if you already have an AT&T account. If not I think the phone is $59. So this one I have now is actually the 2nd from there (of course I dropped n broke 1st). They take your old one and load it all onto the new one for free and verify it is up and running as it should be and also give you a text and call later to verify no troubles. Even at being just a flip you can still activate wifi and internet if you chose to.

Attachments

• attflip.jpg
    attflip.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 8
Kyocera E4810 4G flip phone. Rugged and it has buttons, not the largest but not the smallest.

You can also get a cradle charger so it doesn't have to be plugged in. Apparently these are popular for commercial use.

I think anyone would have a hard time finding a flipper that is as -chunky- as the 4810, to me it is a plus, another huge 'plus'; mine is identified on the back as being made in Japan !!!!!!!!!! Probably worth buying solely (hopefully?) for this reason alone.

I HATE so called Smart Phones! Probably cause they do not pertain to me..... What would I be doing with a Smart Phone anyway!?
So, all I need is a plain old flip style phone. I would break a smart phone in the very first week dropping it on concrete or hard tile floors in the house. I have bad arthritis in both hands and tend to drop things from keys to wallet, books and my cell phone all day long. I had been buying and using flip phones from an AT&T store about two miles from our house. Last time I went in there one of the "up-sale" guys tried to tell me "ha ha ha , oh my, sir we dont sell those anymore. wow! So I walked around while I left him trying to "up-sell" the wife which I knew he could not accomplish. Once I stumbled across the same exact flip phones on the shelf next aisle over , I told wife, "ok lets go, they either liars or do not even know what they have." Walked into WalMart and they have brand new , really nice and sturdy looking flip phones made by AT&T you can get for $39 if you already have an AT&T account. If not I think the phone is $59. So this one I have now is actually the 2nd from there (of course I dropped n broke 1st). They take your old one and load it all onto the new one for free and verify it is up and running as it should be and also give you a text and call later to verify no troubles. Even at being just a flip you can still activate wifi and internet if you chose to.
That is the phone I have and like it... It does what I need it to do...

There is nothing like an old flip phone though. All the newer ones compatible with current networks have full color displays and are internet capable. They're built on foundations that can support basic smart phones but then limit functionality to keep things simple.

The Kyocera would have been absolutely perfect if it had an external antenna port for booster use, why this featured disappeared a few years back is something I will never understand.

There is nothing like an old flip phone though. All the newer ones compatible with current networks have full color displays and are internet capable. They're built on foundations that can support basic smart phones but then limit functionality to keep things simple.
Maybe this new AT&T phone is better made or ??? I have dropped this new one on hard floor surfaces 2 or 2 times already and so far so good, with no signs of problems yet. The other ones I have were some off brands I had not heard of before.

Maybe this new AT&T phone is better made or ??? I have dropped this new one on hard floor surfaces 2 or 2 times already and so far so good, with no signs of problems yet. The other ones I have were some off brands I had not heard of before.

I'm just saying that they're probably pretty complicated under the hood. They're basically running a full operating system under all the hardware. But I'd think for many older users, dedicated big, tactile buttons that click and a large display would help with usability.

But my dad is older and he loves his [correction] iPhone 13 Pro. He does ask me to do all sorts of things that he can't figure out, but he has no problem with an iPhone.

Last edited:
I'm just saying that they're probably pretty complicated under the hood. They're basically running a full operating system under all the hardware. But I'd think for many older users, dedicated big, tactile buttons that click and a large display would help with usability.

But my dad is older and he loves his iPad 13 Pro. He does ask me to do all sorts of things that he can't figure out, but he has no problem with an iPhone.
The good thing is there is something out there for everyone by now. I dont really use my flip phone for anything but talking to wife, sons, grandkids and a few friends. I do see the point for many. Like my nephew who I often pay to come and do work around the house. I get a kick out of the way he is with his Iphones. We will need some info on something and all of a sudden I hear him talking and assume he called someone yet when I pay close attention he is actually asking his pad/phone the question and it gives him instant feed back! LOL.
More than I need but I see the benefits. Another plus I heard recently is the prices that used to be outrageous have come down on a lot of that stuff.

The good thing is there is something out there for everyone by now. I dont really use my flip phone for anything but talking to wife, sons, grandkids and a few friends. I do see the point for many. Like my nephew who I often pay to come and do work around the house. I get a kick out of the way he is with his Iphones. We will need some info on something and all of a sudden I hear him talking and assume he called someone yet when I pay close attention he is actually asking his pad/phone the question and it gives him instant feed back! LOL.
More than I need but I see the benefits. Another plus I heard recently is the prices that used to be outrageous have come down on a lot of that stuff.

Old flip phones like from Nokia or Samsung were actually quite simple really. They had to be since putting all that in a small package was not easy. My first phone was a Nokia 5100 series that I got when it was recommended while searching for a job. That thing had a low res B&W display, big squishy buttons, and no camera. It might have been able to play a few games that were basically at a Game Boy level of sophistication and had to deal with buttons as controls.

But these days I'd think a lot of the complexity has to be there because it's dealing with 4G and Wi-Fi. So it's still complex under the hood, but the user of a newer flip phone probably doesn't realize that.

Back