No Fram Ultra at my local WalMart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Wallymart and i always go down the oil filter section and look at the oil filters and I was shocked to see that they only had FRAM Extra Gaurd and Fram Tough Gaurd and I looked for Fram Ultra all over and to my surprise it was not there in place was more Mobil 1 20000 Miles filters.. I saw a guy there stocking oil and I asked him where are the Fram Ultras? He said they were taken down and was not sure why.. Now this is 2 Walmarts in my area that had no Fram Ultras..

Anyone know why????

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be-not a big seller? I get a good enough deal on eBay from SAE Auto and others that it makes little sense to spend $8.97 on a single one (although it can go 3 OCIs, few people know nor want to risk it). I've seen the eBay 6 packs as low as $22 for 6, free shipping, normally no tax. Add on one of the common eBay codes, you're well under $3 each.

It may be possible the demand was low because of the cost or people were stealing them at too high a rate. Also possible that Mobil gave a better discount to Walmart for the shelf space.

Last edited:
You should include a (general) location in your thread title. I don't know what p/n you need but the Walmart closest to me has the XG7317 on the shelf. Looks like XG6607, XG3614, XG2, XG16, and so on....

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It may be possible the demand was low because of the cost or people were stealing them at too high a rate. Also possible that Mobil gave a better discount to Walmart for the shelf space.

I'm sure they've dealt with this since the beginning. Any time I've visited the section there were boxes open and the cheaper filters inside. Not even the piece of tape was a deterrent.

My local Farm & Fleets has trained the cashiers to open the boxes and look to reduce this.

Originally Posted by David1
I was at Wallymart ....... I saw a guy there stocking oil and I asked him where are the Fram Ultras? He said they were taken down and was not sure why.. Now this is 2 Walmarts in my area that had no Fram Ultras..
A recall? Probably not I guess, since still on shelves elsewhere. Could just be regional Walmart stocking differences taking effect. I've noticed variation in what they stock for a lot of things in one part of the metro area or in another state.

I was in the Niagara Falls NY Walmart last weekend and they still had a huge stock of Ultras there. And the one near my house in Oakville has started stocking Ultras now, after many years where they only carried the Toughguard and Extraguard.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
You should include a (general) location in your thread title. I don't know what p/n you need but the Walmart closest to me has the XG7317 on the shelf. Looks like XG6607, XG3614, XG2, XG16, and so on....
Agreed and same here. Couple stores I frequent show normal FU application stock levels. Also checking online now several popular applications, half dozen closest stores show in stock ready for pick up today.

Based on those findings and reading other similar observations combined with all caps title, I'll add that 'imo' strikes me a 'click bait' topic.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
When you can if you change your own oil, go on line and order,,,lots cheaper imho..

That has not been my experience.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
When you can if you change your own oil, go on line and order,,,lots cheaper imho..

I usually order sale filters , either 6 or 12 at a time , form RockAuto.com .

I change oil on the Buick ( dino oil ) at 3000 miles and the Sonic ( synthetic oil ) about 4500 miles .

So , I am not ordering the super duper filters .

I was using the Ultra for 3 years. I tried the TG a year ago as an experiment to see if a different oil filter would lessen my 6.0 LQ9 startup ticks and piston slap. That worked, don't hear anything anymore. That engine just doesn't like the Ultra. Still using the same oil I used with the Ultra, and there is no visible difference in the color of the oil, looks about the same after 6500-7k. So I think the TG efficiency is about the same, but for that engine, the flow is better. So now both my vehicles use the TG.

Originally Posted by Patman
I was in the Niagara Falls NY Walmart last weekend and they still had a huge stock of Ultras there. And the one near my house in Oakville has started stocking Ultras now, after many years where they only carried the Toughguard and Extraguard.

Canadian Tire also has them. I know this doesn't help US folks in this thread. But for any Canuck reading it.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I was using the Ultra for 3 years. I tried the TG a year ago as an experiment to see if a different oil filter would lessen my 6.0 LQ9 startup ticks and piston slap. That worked, don't hear anything anymore. That engine just doesn't like the Ultra. Still using the same oil I used with the Ultra, and there is no visible difference in the color of the oil, looks about the same after 6500-7k. So I think the TG efficiency is about the same, but for that engine, the flow is better. So now both my vehicles use the TG.

Then why do you care if there aren't any Ultra's at WalMart?

Originally Posted by Eddie
Order the FRAM Ultra from the Walmart Website and go to the store to pick it up when it arrives. Ed

I agree. If you order enough for free shipping, you have a larger selection of oil online too. Chevron/ Havoline for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back