NJ drops emissions testing for Pre-OBDII cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm pretty sure that in Maryland all your OBDII monitors need to be ready.

Nope.

1996-2000 cars can have 2 monitors not ready. Cars 2001 and newer can have one not ready and still pass.

it is the same in every state, since the guidelines are set by the EPA (feds)

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Probably costs them too much money to test the older cars, so it is not worth it to them.

It never was about the environment anyways, it was a money grab.

Costs to whom ? Who pays for the testing ? I think the state doesn't care if owners of Pre-OBDII cars pay more for smog test. It must be other reasons.

Probably costs them too much money to test the older cars, so it is not worth it to them.

I always thought that the states lost (ALL or most of their) Federal Highway Funds IF they did not require at least an OBD 2 plug in test for 1996 and later cars??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
If I remember correctly the height of the bar used in NJ automotive inspections goes up and down in time with gubernatorial elections.

Don't go 'hate radio' on me....this goes for "gubers" of both parties. Kira

Ironically, here in supposedly 'redder' TP controlled Pennsyltuckey, we do have a SERIOUS, almost TUV-like safety AND visual inspection, but ONLY available at privatized (where the TP factor comes in I guess?) stations/repair shops, for a BIG fee EVERY SINGLE year!

THIS is where it is a conflict of interest, complicit, "money grab" with I am SURE a nice 'kickback' for the TP legislators, or at least a BIG contribution to their re-election campaigns from the repair/inspection shop owners association.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I always thought that the states lost (ALL or most of their) Federal Highway Funds IF they did not require at least an OBD 2 plug in test for 1996 and later cars??
21.gif

Nah. I'm in PA too and a lot of our central/northern counties don't do any emissions testing. The county 2 miles over the mountain (Perry) does no emissions testing.

I live in NJ and the state pays for each inspection at the state facility. The state facility is run by a private company ( I believe the company is Pearson). With this new rule they are limiting your newer vehicles one inspection so if you fail you have to bring it to a private facility for a repair and reinspection. So if your check engine light is on..dont bother bringing it to the state facility. Most people would go and fail on purpose to buy more time on getting a repair done. You used to get 30 days or so to bring it back to the state for reinspection. So really its all about money.

My county got busted in the late 90s for having too many EPA "unhealthy air days" or whatever they call it. It was also after a series of hot, stagnant air summers, perfect for birthing smog. State DEP had to come up with a plan that the fed EPA would accept. Spent a couple million bucks and decided on a gas cap pump test (which I have never seen actually done!) and OBD-II scan.

The other counties don't have to do it as they weren't busted with smog.

For Cumberland Cty (most populous) to undo it, they'd have to pay a bunch of air quality engineers to model what would happen without the OBD-II scan. I figure, it would not be much worse. But there isn't the political will to budget for this, as the topic is misunderstood by nearly everyone.

To properly shake off said requirements and keep the highway funds coming requires a meeting of the minds between state and fed regulators. This is, IMO, why NJ still has emissions testing without a safety element anymore.

When my daughter was in school in College Station (in a "non-emissions" county) she was able to sign a waiver stating that if she moved to an "emissions county" she would have to get the CEL fixed. The car was a 1999 Infiniti I30 and I knew the only reason for the CEL was the non OEM coils I installed. There weren't any driveability issues, it's just that non OEM coils don't play nice with Nissans. I'm sure some of you Nissan people know this, but I had to learn it the hard way by throwing away $150 on a set of aftermarket coils. I eventually stumbled across a full set of six, still in the Nissan boxes, on eBay for $260. Obviously, the CEL went away for good after I installed them.

Unfortunately for me I wrecked my 89 Accord the year before it would not need emissions testing anymore. They still test pre-OBD cars here with the tailpipe probe and "car treadmill." I guess in 2020 they'll stop because at that point all the pre-OBD cars left will be 25 years old. I guess I can't complain too much. The Accord failed once due to high HC which clued me into the fact that I needed to replace the O2 sensors. In a pre-OBD car they pretty much had to have failed completely to set a CEL.

Originally Posted By: Donald
NJ had state inspection stations I believe. They did in 1976 when I lived there growing up.

While the older cars pollute more as a percentage of total pollution is probably small and getting smaller. They might be able to fail you for disable smoke still.

When I still had my 91 BMW, I'd go to the station and get it checked out. Only once out of many years do I recall another vehicle undergoing the same test as me. The numbers just aren't very high, and the situation is somewhat self limiting in that older, poorly cared for cars will make their way off the road sooner or later.

Of course when I was younger, I recall the tailpipe sniffers, and for a while, there was even a dyno test.

This gets out of the way of enthusiasts who do care for their vehicles... And also pushes the tech to what is notionally much cheaper and ubiquitous these days.

It seems like a no brainier, now I just wish they did still require the safety inspection... That was worthwhile.

Texas set up an inspection system, modeled on NJ's, back in 1995. The state contracted with a company called Tejas. The inspection stations were built and there was a trial period. I had my 89 Accord inspected during that period and the stupid station I visited "didn't have any stickers yet." The thing that scared me the most is that the inspection process involved removing vacuum hoses from the vapor canister. They told me I needn't worry because they had insurance to cover replacement canisters if they broke a hose nipple. Whatever. The inspection concept waws so hated it was ashcanned before it began. I don't think they ever really told us citizens the full cost of this aborted program as they had to pay off Tejas. The stations were all shut down and never used for the program that eventually replaced it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Donald
NJ had state inspection stations I believe. They did in 1976 when I lived there growing up.

While the older cars pollute more as a percentage of total pollution is probably small and getting smaller. They might be able to fail you for disable smoke still.

When I still had my 91 BMW, I'd go to the station and get it checked out. Only once out of many years do I recall another vehicle undergoing the same test as me. The numbers just aren't very high, and the situation is somewhat self limiting in that older, poorly cared for cars will make their way off the road sooner or later.

Of course when I was younger, I recall the tailpipe sniffers, and for a while, there was even a dyno test.

This gets out of the way of enthusiasts who do care for their vehicles... And also pushes the tech to what is notionally much cheaper and ubiquitous these days.

It seems like a no brainier, now I just wish they did still require the safety inspection... That was worthwhile.

Does Joyzee still do the gas cap check/test, or did they drop that as well??

Originally Posted By: NortheastPest
I live in NJ and the state pays for each inspection at the state facility. The state facility is run by a private company ( I believe the company is Pearson).

Close, it is actually called Parsons, and as bad as they are, I WISH that Pennsyltuckey had them, and Joyzee's current system, instead of the corrupt, complicit, TOTAL conflict of interest money grabbing/gouging privatized **** system they have currently.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Yes they still do the gas cap test. They dropped the whole safety check years ago. I was somewhat against that because of so many people that neglect their cars.

Originally Posted By: NortheastPest
Yes they still do the gas cap test. They dropped the whole safety check years ago. I was somewhat against that because of so many people that neglect their cars.

Actually, before it was scrapped the number of vehicles failing N.J. inspections for"safety" issues was in the low single digits.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
For those who have any interest. This story seems to be fairly accurate to my recollection.

Texas Emissions War

Reading a story like that makes me feel like government shouldn't be allowed to make attempt to make a cheese sandwich.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Oh sure, now they get rid of emission testing for old cars!
mad.gif

Where was this great idea years ago when N.J. inspections were annual and getting a carburated 307 '87 Cutlass to pass was a major hassle, often requiring the help of a friendly private inspection shop or a trip to the local junkyard on a hot sunny day to peel off a valid inspection decal.
smirk.gif

The state of Texas department of motor vehicles had a special bulletin for the 307 olds v8 emission testing. It was a modified test so those engines could pass... Rumor is those engines didn't pass emissions standards when new and GM paid epa fines to sell them...

I wish PA would adopt this. My accord hasn't been legal in quite some time. I forget what driving it in the day is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back