Smog Check for Heavy Duty Trucks and Heavy Motorhomes

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds traveling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California.

While the heavy-duty vehicles under this program represent only 3% of all vehicles on California roads, they are responsible for more than half of all harmful smog-causing pollution and fine particulate matter from mobile sources in the state

In the first phase of the program, beginning in January 2023, the Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS)—a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions—will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads.

Vehicles flagged by the monitoring devices will be required to undergo an additional emissions test to verify their emissions-control equipment is functioning properly and repair any malfunctioning emission control equipment, if necessary.

Emissions inspections are designed to minimize downtime and the inconvenience to owners/ operators. Unlike passenger car smog checks, heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations. The test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device.

Wait until they start moving the goal posts.
Lumina 2007 Emissions Test.jpg

Lumina Emissions Test 2007 - Pass

Lumina 2011 Emissions Test_Fail_cropped_annotated.jpg

Lumina Emissions Test 2011 - Fail

I saw the same thing in Virginia. They kept lowering the tailpipe test limits. But anything over 25 years old is exempt from smog testing, and anything newer than 1996 gets an OBD-II test, so almost nothing gets a tailpipe test anymore. The only time a vehicle is required to get a tailpipe test is when it fails a roadside emissions test.

Wait until they start moving the goal posts.
View attachment 114879
Lumina Emissions Test 2007 - Pass

View attachment 114883
Lumina Emissions Test 2011 - Fail
Life hack. Add 2gal of e85 to 1/4 tank then 1 gal of 87 to wash it down. Drive for 20min and you numbers will be like 1/2. Drive easy to burn up that crap and then fill with regular gas. If they want to force us to use ethanol, I’m just playing their game. Use at own risk . DO NOT fill with e85.

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds traveling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California.
Don't think that's constitutional. States set their own emissions standards and Cali can't require out of state vehicles to meet their own requirements.

Only in Cali (and NY). If they aren't careful, the independent drivers won't go to those states.

EDIT: And another dig to the agriculture folks.

Life hack. Add 2gal of e85 to 1/4 tank then 1 gal of 87 to wash it down. Drive for 20min and you numbers will be like 1/2. Drive easy to burn up that crap and then fill with regular gas. If they want to force us to use ethanol, I’m just playing their game. Use at own risk . DO NOT fill with e85.
It works! When I was 18 or so, my Mustang (302 4BBL) failed the emissions tailpipe miserably, I went home and my dad took me and my Mustang to the store and bought a bunch of the yellow bottles of Heet, and poured them into the tank. The tank was already below 1/4 because I was poor and drove like an idiot, so never had much gas in the tank. We drove it around for a bit kinda crazy to slosh the gas around in the tank and mix it up, then took it right back to the emissions testing station. The same nice older gentleman that had done my test a few hours earlier did it again, and said he had never seen a Mustang run so clean, with a wink at my dad and a big smile, he knew what we did 😊

Not so bad idea. Every other time I'm behind one huge clouds of choking me out exhaust.
Start development on the 14L Natural gas engines.
In SoCal, CNG buses and trucks rule the rat race in LA/OC/SD. Cummins already has xNG “near-zero” versions of their B/L/X engines for natural gas.

I think CARB/BAAQMD/SCAQMD wants all city transit/school buses and big rigs to be tested for visual exhaust already. Port of LA/Long Beach and Oakland won’t let trucks of a certain age pass through.

If anything, this will catch the bros in lifted trucks rolling coal as well. CARB can set up a remote monitoring station on an on-ramp.

It's a moot point now, it passes. Besides, I'm not driving 68 miles to West Sac to get E0 fuel.

Hmm our gross for our RV is below 14k but how would they know? I bet they won't pull over many personal RVs. The weights can vary quite a bit based on slides etc. Guess that's a good excuse not to visit the in-laws next year LOL!

Don't think that's constitutional. States set their own emissions standards and Cali can't require out of state vehicles to meet their own requirements.
They don’t however CA is largest automotive market in US and it is expensive to build different vehicles versions and compliance across multiple standards. Most go the hardest if more economically viable.

They don’t however CA is largest automotive market in US and it is expensive to build different vehicles versions and compliance across multiple standards. Most go the hardest if more economically viable.
I think atikovi is talking about out of state vehicles being pulled over for emissions checks in CA.

Back