Nissan with cardboard end caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Nissan is making their filters with cardboard end caps now. Another member on my Sentra site posted this.

-

They had metal end caps in the past. As some of you might know. Nissan has some of the smallest filters in the industry. Even the Titan uses a super small filter.

I might be switching over to Mobil 1 or Napa Gold on my next OCI.

I just found out myself last week that Nissan 9E000 oil filter have cardboard end caps and I posted a pic on a sentra form......What a sec..... that looks like my kitchen sink... the filter too....that my pc that I took!
smile.gif
I am glad it made it over here…… I will be trying the WIX filter that AL suggested

Are you sure it's paper?

Many of the newer "Eco" style filters are using various composite materials for end caps that look like paper. But they're not.

For example, the factory original Volvo filter I just changed out on a new '06 is a Mahle with composite ends that look just like cardboard, but were extremely rigid and remained firmly bonded to the media, even saturated with oil. However, the replacement cartridge, also a Mahle, had cloth-like end caps akin to those found on a Supertech, but much thicker. Again, they were very firmly welded to the media. Both Mahle cartridges were made in Austria and are first-rate as filters go. The excellent Mann part for this application uses yet another composite end cap material.

The prevailing trend seems to be away from metal end caps, particularly in the cartridge market. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're using plain cardboard. Nor does it mean that the caps are not well bonded to the media.

Genuine Japanese-made filters should be at the cutting edge in these technologies.

That's no Fram. The pleats are fairly close together and even. Bet if you checked, you would find a fair amount of media packed into the small filter. It may also be a higher quality media. I didn't quit using Fram over the end caps. It was the lack of much between them that convinced me I would be better off using ST.

OT Scored 2 L 15436's at Pep Boys for $2.47 each, made in USA no less. Best I have done on cartridge elements yet.

Given the paucity of arable land in Japan, it makes sense to stress the use of biodegradable materials in discardable/combustible products. Once it's performed its primary function, allow it to recycle naturally into the environment through controlled biological breakdown or use it as fuel in clean-burn industrial applications.

UPDATE

I have one new Nissan oil filter so I got board and open it up(mostly because I will trying a new brand oil filter) What do you know! It had metal end caps!! I guess they are just now switching over to a non-metal end cap. The only difference on the outside on these filters are the small number underneath the “made in Japan.” The one with the metal and caps has the number T5Y09 and the one with a non-metal end caps has T5429. I don’t have any idea what those number mean but I bet they have something to do with when they were made.

-

-

I gave you credit jcrow.
wink.gif
smile.gif
I wonder when they switched? It's kind of hard to open a box when you buy it at the dealer. They are also plastic wrapped. I have a feeling, if they are still made in Japan. They must be a quality filter still.

That is sneaky.

Charging you the same price and going to crappy construction.

I would go to WIX or another brand you will know will be properly constructed.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
That is sneaky.

Can you document it is crappy construction? The last WIX I bought had plastic end caps.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

That is sneaky.

Can you document it is crappy construction? The last WIX I bought had plastic end caps.

Same here. At least mine was a cartridge type and easy enough to return.

That looks like a Denso filter. They are generally very good filters from the ones I have taken apart.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

That is sneaky.

Cardboard endcaps.

The Ecore design is actually quite good or fine a construction with metal endcaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back