Nissan Transmission Shudder!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a fluid problem. In some Fords, a shudder under the same conditions is caused by a misfire of some kind. Have you checked your coil packs, plugs and wires?

Cyprs, you have no issue. Until the ATF reaches a given temp, the transmission will either NOT use the OD, OR not lock the TC.

Dealership more then likely use bulk ATF with a fluid converter to do flushes. Trust me, I haven't found too many dealerships using OE quart bottled ATF.

BTW, with the newer description, sound like your motor and tranny mounts are shot. Replace them all. Your drivetrain is bouncing about. That shudder you feel is actually drivetrain movement.

Reread Maximaguys post. Many AT issues can be caused by other components not related to the transmission. TPS, temp sensor, thermostat, spark plug, MAF, MAP, o2, vacuum leak, ANYTHING, can cause transmission issues.

If you don't want to replace those expensive drivetrain mounts, remove them and fill the 'hollows' with a poly caulk. Some of the energysuspension or prothane-type mount insert can be used to 'rebuild' tired drivetrain mounts and are worth a shot. Even if your vehicle isn't listed, Nissan non-liquid hollow mounts are similar enough where a different year/model can be file fitted.

Thanks unDummy, I have owned very few auto trannies in my over 3 decades of vehicle ownership, I find manuals so much less complicated using them, all planets dont have to line up perfect for usage. thanks, Cyprs

I did a drain and refill again yesterday. 5 quarts out, and 5 quarts in. It has a total capacity of about 10 quarts, so I get about 50% replaced with each drain and refill. I should have about 75% Amsoil ATF and 25% Pennzoil ATF in it now. The fluid that was drained looked as good, clear and red, as the fluid going in. I also disconnected the battery while I drained it, and refilled it. Then reconnected to have the motor running while checking fluid levels. No real change in shift quality this time. I also still feel the shudder, and have narrowed it down the decreasing speed at about 40 mph or so. I don't know about the motor mounts being shot. I will look at them if I can next time I am under the car.

May be hard to tell condition of the mounts with just a looksee unless you really know what to look for. You can tell more by having someone start engine while you watch it (to the side of the vehicle) and when put in drive, see how much the engine moves. Then put directly into reverse and watch for how much movement the other way. Engine will normally twist a little, but should not flop back and forth excessively, indicating broken or severely worn out mounts.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Dealership more then likely use bulk ATF with a fluid converter to do flushes. Trust me, I haven't found too many dealerships using OE quart bottled ATF.

Never had a single dealer do that around here.

You must have some very, very lousy dealers where you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back