Nissan Titan- Strange Noise on 1st Shift Only

Truck in question is the '08 Titan I bought a few months back.

Shortly after doing a trans service(drain/fill only) I noticed a strange noise on the first shift. The noise may have been there before, but I wasn't aware of it. By first shift, I mean the 1-2. The odd part to me is that it does it only on the first 1-2 and then not again? Also, if the truck sits for a bit, even 20 min it will do the same. The noise itself sounds almost like a mechanical gear(not a grind, doesn't make me cringe). The shifting of the trans is totally fine; smooth and predictable.

I checked on Titantalk and a few others have observed the same, but no one seems to know why. Any thoughts here?

Just to eliminate a few variables and get more data, who did the service and type of ATF and quantity used (out vs. in)?

In Nissans I stick to Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle for the tranny fluid. Others have had good luck with Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (I just haven't personally tried it). Me personally those are the only ATFs I would use in a Nissan/Jatco Transmission.

Been using idemitsu type J for 7 years multiple D/F's and a complete pan drop and refill.

Im leery of using a generic in a Jatco

I did the service myself. Used Maxlife; just a drain/fill. Not sure of total capacity but service was just under 6 qts. The rest of the fluid I'm guessing is OEM.

arekele; I've heard the same after reading a bit, a lot of people use the Castrol Import in these. I just ordered some yesterday and will do a couple more drain/fills soon.

Last edited:
I used it in my 91 D21, 03 Pathfinder and 2012 XTerra with good results. Drain and fills only, never dropped the pans or replaced filters/screens.

IIRC Titans had rear differential issues, especially when used for towing.

They did, especially the early ones from what I've read, mine seems fine though.

arakele, that's good to hear. If anything changes after switching over I'll report back.

Back