Nissan threatens to move Its prized Rogue production from TN

I'm likely missing something, but this seems odd.

I know Nissan takes a beating anywhere you go, but have you guys shopped them in the past 3-4yrs? I don't know of a dealer that can keep Rogues, Pathfinders, Sentras or Versas in stock. They're gone before they take up space in a dealer lot.
go to goodcarbadcar.net and search sales. Nissan Sales on all those models are still way down from 2018 / 2019.

Whether they can't build more or the dealer is playing games I certainly don't know.

Reactions: JTK
I think it is pretty well documented that union sentiment on opposite sides of the Mason-Dixon line are two different animals. I will stop there as I prefer not to devolve this post any further. I initially posted because a person incorrectly blamed the union in the Nissan plant(s) in question. The plants in question don't enjoy union affiliation.
You should of stopped sooner than that - but this site has always tolerated such bias …

I may be wrong but I have read that manufacturing in Japan is not a cost saver anymore. Maybe Vietnam or Ghana to save some manufacturing dollars. I imagine other end users pressure their suppliers. I know that Walmart just about bankrupted Rubbermaid with its practices.
Honda and Toyota are pinning hopes in Thailand. Low cost of labor, close to some important markets like Australia/NZ(which is more important to Toyota than it is to Honda) and no tariffs. Since the Australian auto industry collapsed, Thailand gained a bit. Taxes is why Toyota and Honda build here.

Nissan has their plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico but they also have Renault Samsung in Korea too. If anything, Nissan will build the Rogue in Mexico. Still in the NAFTA/MCA bloc, close by the supply chain but cheaper labor. Taxes is why Toyota and Honda build here.

Nissan and Honda are pretty dependent on Kelly or Manpower temps for their plants - that way they aren’t paying out for benefits. Toyota is, to a smaller degree but they tend to convert from temp to FTE.
Even with running a tight efficiency and cost ship, now they want 20% off supplier pricing?

Im assuming this is the aim for the stars, be content with the moon negotiations strategy. Their platforms in production are also a decade old, so i assume whatever cost efficiencies that could be had are already implemented.

Nissan issued an ultimatum to its suppliers; Cut pricing by 20% or we are moving production out to Japan.
Rogue is produced at their Smyrna Tn plant, and makes up about 40% production volume from the plant.

Has nissan lost their mind or are they now cutting the proverbial fat?
What is your source?
-Folks should not reply in indignation w/o verifying
-Plus you folks do own som eof your "Amercian Iron" is made in Mexico right? Would u rather buy a care made in Mexico or Japan? Thought so.
- When toyota moves production I would read from folks "Great now this will will be made in Japan with Japanese quality again" :sneaky:

What is your source?
-Folks should not reply in indignation w/o verifying
- When toyota moves production I would read rom folks "Great now this will will be made in Japan with Japanese quality again" :sneaky:
For those with a subscription

For those with no subscription

For those with a subscription

For those with no subscription
So this is "reportedly".
By whom?
Quoting some parts supplier rep represented with the same article does not add fidelity.

Whther in the future it turns out to be accurate or not, the Lesson boys and girls, is that modern industrisl competion is waged by all means fair and foul.
Could be easily seeded into the media by a competitor.
Just like in Politics. Always ask yourself what am I reading, Why is it pushed "above the fold" and who profits from the article.

So this is "reportedly".
By whom?
Quoting some parts supplier rep represented with the same article does not add fidelity.

Whther in the future it turns out to be accurate or not, the Lesson boys and girls, is that modern industrisl competion is waged by all means fair and foul.
Could be easily seeded into the media by a competitor.
Just like in Politics. Always ask yourself what am I reading, Why is it pushed "above the fold" and who profits from the article.
1) How do you suggest Nissan approach this situation? Should they confirm their demands, state that we dont comment on ongoing business matters, or reach out to the public through intermediaries?

2) If indeed this is competition seeding the media, what purpose does it serve? Nissan under Ghosn already tainted their existed supplier pools, that resulted in halving their supply pool to 600 firms in a quest for cost efficiencies 20 years ago. They have existing supplier contracts that they cant easily back out without penalty, but they can quit using them going forward. Again all can be done without running to the media. If this was some kind of strategy to hypothetically force Nissans hand, maybe.

Nissan has been making substandard product (given a few truck exceptions) for 2 decades now.

When a company has to bring such news public, they obviously already tried privately and then decided to be vindicate and make it public. This kind of leadership is TERRIBLE. You deserve even less sales Nissan.

1706188714462.jpg

Nissan CVT’d themselves into the “can’t afford a Honda” beater around these parts.

They aren’t willing to produce competitive products.

Japan is no longer the yardstick when it comes to quality. My old Highlander was more reliable than Made in Japan Lexus and this is based not just on my observation but a few who own luxury Japanese automobiles.

Now coming to cost cutting EOD we end up getting a crappy product... Case in point Boeing 737 (corporate greed).

Back