Nissan NS2 CVT fluid, silver lid below the cover or no?

I have a Maxima 2009 and around a year and a half ago bought a case of 10 1-quart bottles of Nissan CVT NS2 from a website called belineparts.com. Never had the time to change the fluid. Now I want to tackle the job.
The website few weeks ago vanished from the internet. They used to say they work (and have a physical address) close (or same) as a Nissan dealer in Atlanta, GA I believe.
However, the bottles I received are sealed with the plastic white covers, but below the cover there is no silver lid (not like what you find below a Mobil1 oil jug cover for example).

1. Should I be concerned if fluid is not genuine Nissan?
2. Fluid was well stored inside the house, what would you say its shelf life?

Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen any 1-quart bottles sealed with foil under the lid.

Doubly so for OE fluids. Every fluid I've bought from Honda and Nissan that came in 1-quart bottles had no seal under it. Just the tear-off ring on the outside. I doubt they'd do it just for NS2.

The other thing you might be able to do is look on YouTube for videos of someone doing the CVT service that requires that fluid, see if they show them opening the bottle and whether it has a seal underneath.

I has one bottle of NS-3. for top off. I thought that had a seal. You could call a Nissan dealer and ask.

No need for that Nissan stuff, though.

I would EBAY it. and get Valvoline.

Valvoline works just dandy for many who have run it.

The Viscometrics and required friction modifiers are correct. I researced this heavily a couple years ago.

The level is very important. I would do a cold drain and fill with a pan drop if possible.

Just put back in what you took out - if you have NOT been topping off.

This stuff REALLY expands when hot. My 2014 Rogue Select went from

OFF the bottom of the dipstick to way over the full mark when fully warmed.

The dealer overfilled during a service, and I had issues; When I pulled the stick HOT there was heavy foaming.

That is NOT good!

I brought it back and they said better too much than too little

Hopefully someone changed the fluid in the first year after break in. or at least before 25K miles!

My trans pan was full of wear-in mud. I mean loaded.

Guaranteed this is what fouls the hydraulic logic and causes trans failure.

I beat my Rogue with constant manualll down shifting/ hard engine braking

The thing took everything I threw at it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem
I have a Maxima 2009 and around a year and a half ago bought a case of 10 1-quart bottles of Nissan CVT NS2 from a website called belineparts.com. Never had the time to change the fluid. Now I want to tackle the job.
The website few weeks ago vanished from the internet. They used to say they work (and have a physical address) close (or same) as a Nissan dealer in Atlanta, GA I believe.
However, the bottles I received are sealed with the plastic white covers, but below the cover there is no silver lid (not like what you find below a Mobil1 oil jug cover for example).

1. Should I be concerned if fluid is not genuine Nissan?
2. Fluid was well stored inside the house, what would you say its shelf life?

Thanks

Don't get hung up on NS-2 as NS-3 is the latest Nissan CVT fluid formulation.
Any of hese CVT products should serve you well:
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/89a30b24-93bb-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1
Make sure you use the Valvoline CVT version and NOT the MaxLife.

or this one

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3273.pdf

or this one

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/NON-SLIP_CVT_PROD_INFO.pdf

or this one

https://www.castrol.com/content/dam/castrol/country-sites/en_mm/myanmar/home/pdf/transmax-cvt.pdf

Last edited:
Eneos CVT fluid is what I have in my car... At Napa it is very reasonable price...

I believe Eneos is the OEM supplier in Japan for the Nissan manufactured vehicles there...

Last edited:
Of note here is that IF you can find Pennzoil CVT-2 fluid....

It's extremely likely that is the OEM fluid used by Nissan here in the US. A member on KGmechtech on here found a data sheet on Nissan NS-2 fluid and SOPUS was the manufacturer of that Nissan CVT fluid.

Idemitsu manufactured the factory fill NS-2. To answer the OPs question: no seals under the cap, and no shelf life to worry about as they're unopened.

Don't know about that....

The fella on here had looked up the MSDS sheets...it was Pennzoil aka Shell out of Houston..

Not Idemitsu at that time he looked up those safety data sheets... And it was not all too long ago he did that... 2 years ago I believe.

Granted they certainly could change OEM supplier..

They do change OEM suppliers... no doubt.

Last edited:
Well as tbm5690 noted, Idemitsu may have manufactured the factory fill fluid but that doesn't mean the fluid they sell on the aftermarket is the same. Kind of like how some people believe Idemitsu may manufacture Honda DW-1 but it's clear their "Honda DW-1" fluid is not the same as actual Honda branded fluid.

True kschachn....

I do wonder if Nissan in the US has changed the OEM supplier...

Certainly possible.

Eneos is quite likely the supplier to Nissan in Japan for their CVT fluid.

Why put in OE fluid?

Obviously it didn't HELP prevent early mortality.

When researching this subject three year ago, I had reads dozens of posts with folks running $7- a bottle stuff
showing great long term results.

It the EARLY change that is most important, IMO.

I didn't break my CVT and, I drove it as hard as you could any AT.

I just checked a new bottle of OEM Nissan NS-3 out of an open case I have and like said above, there's no peel off seal on the bottle. Just the break-away "tamper proof" ring on the cap.

I know it's not what you asked, but you can run NS-3 in your NS-2 spec'd Nissan. NS-3 is the newer and better NS-2.

I too would recommend any of the suitable for use aftermarket fluids once you are out of warranty and the stock color of the fluid is no longer relevant. The only reason I am running Nissan NS-3 is I got it for $12/qt all-in shipped and I'm still under P-train warranty on my 2019 Pathfinder.

Originally Posted by JTK
I just checked a new bottle of OEM Nissan NS-3 out of an open case I have and like said above, there's no peel off seal on the bottle. Just the break-away "tamper proof" ring on the cap.

I know it's not what you asked, but you can run NS-3 in your NS-2 spec'd Nissan. NS-3 is the newer and better NS-2.

I too would recommend any of the suitable for use aftermarket fluids once you are out of warranty and the stock color of the fluid is no longer relevant. The only reason I am running Nissan NS-3 is I got it for $12/qt all-in shipped and I'm still under P-train warranty on my 2019 Pathfinder.

Where were you able to confirm that NS-3 is backwards compatible? Curious as it was my understanding that 3 is thinner than 2.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
Where were you able to confirm that NS-3 is backwards compatible? Curious as it was my understanding that 3 is thinner than 2.

Can you still order NS-2 from the dealer? If so, that would be a clue.

Thinner is not necessarily the criteria however, the starting viscosity of a Dexron VI fluid is lower than Dexron III was but it has better shear stability and viscosity retention.

I was told this by a Nissan tech I've chatted with from another board.

All the suitable for use aftermarket fluids that I've seen cover NS-2 and NS-3 as well.

I would also not get hung-up on the CVT's fluid color.

When we formulate any ATF fluid the fluid has a transparent light amber color due to the additive package.

We then may add a Blue, Green, or Red oil soluble dye for identification or warranty purposes.

So if your CVT fluid out of the bottle is an Amber color worry not; it is a finished product without the dye added.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Can you still order NS-2 from the dealer? If so, that would be a clue.

Thinner is not necessarily the criteria however, the starting viscosity of a Dexron VI fluid is lower than Dexron III was but it has better shear stability and viscosity retention.

Yes, they sell both still and before my last NS-2 drain and fill I tried looking to see if I could safely use NS-3 to no avail.

I have the Eneos CVT fluid in my car... It is a NS-3 fluid and my car is a 2008 that came with NS-2 fluid. It has been great with the new NS-3 fluid. . You should be fine using a 3 fluid.

Back