Nissan MTF 75w-85 GL4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my ELF TransElf NFJ 75w-80 on EBay. Smells a bit more sulfery than expected... Sending some away for VOI. Actually the MSDS gives up a lot of info:

www.quickfds.com
(Parent company is Total)

Chemical Name Weight %
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 50- Dec-1-ene, homopolymer, hydrogenated Dec-1-ene, oligomers, hydrogenate 5- Lubricating oils (petroleum), C15-30, hydrotreated neutral oil-based 3- zinc bis[O,O-bis(2-ethylhexyl)] bis(dithiophosphate) 1- Reaction products of 4-methyl-2-pentanol and diphosphorus pentasulfide, propoxylated, esterified with diphosphorus pentaoxide, and salted by amines, C12-14- tert-alkyl 1- C14-18 alpha-olefin epoxide, reaction products with boric acid 0.1- Triphenyl phosphite*** 0.1-span>

Smash209 said:
Got my ELF TransElf NFJ 75w-80 on EBay. Smells a bit more sulfery than expected... Sending some away for VOI. Actually the MSDS gives up a lot of info:

www.quickfds.com
(Parent company is Total)

Chemical Name Weight %

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 50-
Group II mineral oil, unknown viscosity

Dec-1-ene, homopolymer, hydrogenated Dec-1-ene, oligomers, hydrogenate 5-
Poly-alpha-olefin (PAO) Synthetic Hydrocarbon; unknown viscosity

Lubricating oils (petroleum), C15-30, hydrotreated neutral oil-based 3-
Heavy Group II Mineral oil; unknown viscosity as thickener

zinc bis[O,O-bis(2-ethylhexyl)] bis(dithiophosphate) 1-
ZDDP for Anti-Oxidant

Reaction products of 4-methyl-2-pentanol and diphosphorus pentasulfide, propoxylated, esterified with diphosphorus pentaoxide, and salted by amines, C12-14- tert-alkyl 1-
Multi-Functional for Anti-Wear, Anti-Rust, Anti-Corrosion...

C14-18 alpha-olefin epoxide, reaction products with boric acid 0.1-
Multi-Functional for Anti-Wear, Friction Modifier, TAN control, Dispersant - known as a "Borated Dispersant"

Triphenyl phosphite*** 0.1-
TPP Anti-Wear

Last edited:
Thanks MolaKule for the breakdown!

Edit: This oil so far looks most similar to Pennzoil Synchromesh so far to my untrained eyes
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Basically it is a semi-synthetic MTF but should shift well.

In terms of viscosity it is about halfway between PZ Synchromax and Dexron III/Mercon.

Let us know how it works out.

Redline MT90 is great stuff i use it in my SpecV. About 40 for 2 quarts on amazon. Its a GL-4 so no worries about it eating the soft metals, plus shifts are buttery smooth. I change it every year.

In my experience. IMO, the nissan fluid is [censored]. while yes they do recommend that for the car I've found that the Redline MT90 is far far superior. When i ran the stock fluid in the trans i noticed notchy shifting. Replaced it with the MT90 and lightyears better. I'd recommend you to give it a shot.

I'm not opposed to Redline, although I would go with the MTL or MT-85, just checking out what the dealer should have used, and learning a whole lot in the process! Thanks all!

Originally Posted By: Smash209
I'm not opposed to Redline, although I would go with the MTL or MT-85, just checking out what the dealer should have used, and learning a whole lot in the process! Thanks all!

The Redline MT-85 has the correct viscosity fluid of 12 cSt@100C for a true 75W85:

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil

Last edited:
I haven't changed my fluid yet... hopefully this weekend, but got back the VOA on the ELF stuff:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4703713/

Hence , use of an 'updated' 75W85 in say,Ravenol MTF-1 75W85 would've offered additional MOFT by about 25-40% than this Elf 75W80 .....
reducing boundary lubrication regime duration and further improves metal wear protection in this Nissan transmission of yours.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Basically it is a semi-synthetic MTF but should shift well.

In terms of viscosity it is about halfway between PZ Synchromax and Dexron III/Mercon.

Let us know how it works out.

Just to add, the viscosity of the ELF product is very similar to the current version of BG's Synchroshift II.

My experience is that NONE of the Nissan fluids have any longevity to them.

Phil

I finally did swap out the Nissan 75w-85 fluid with the ELF 75w-80. I have to say its been nearly 1,000 miles and I don't notice any difference to speak of in shift feel.

I posted the UOA from the old fluid here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...tra#Post4745726

Good metal wear rates with 75W85.
I would speculate residual KV@100*C of 7.0ish cSt with ELF 75W80 at similar OCI, despite phenomenon of ppm trending down with increasing mileage.

good info as i am going to change my gear + tranny lubes soon in my 11 frontier SV 4.0 6 spd manual. i like redline products all but their cost, cheap is not good + good is not cheap!!! i have 3 qts of MTL unopened + was going to use them + another 1.5 qt, quess i will get a gal of MT85 + use a half qt of the MTL. wondering about the rear differential, its a dana 44 variant + lists 75-140 lube, since i am using Redlines superior lubes wondering if 75-90 would safely do. i do not tow + only haul 4 1/2 ton loads of coal a short distance yearly.

Last edited:
thanks Mola, i value your professional opinion highly. as i noted in another post ordered the Redline MT-85, also did not see the 75-110 gear lube listed when searching + i see Redline my fav also offers it although not as priced as well as their other viscosities, but only need 2 qts, + that seems to be a happy medium. PA where i live temps are not extreme on either end + as i noted the frontier is just general use with some light hauling.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What is it in ELF fluids that makes them better than Redline or anyone else?

Nothing... just sought out the FF because I never had issues in the past and Nissan no longer offered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back