Nikon finally did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not think that Nikon would ever do it but they finally updated the software for their dedicated film scanners so that they can work in Windows Vista. Almost every piece of hardware and almost all of my software will work perfectly well in Vista.

I don't know if Nikon will ever update their software for their dedicated film scanners for the latest versions of Mac OS X. My guess is do not count on it.

I was wondering if maybe after Service Pack 1 for Vista Nikon would have new software and drivers for their dedicated film scanners for Vista. But they surprised me and came out with the software before Service Pack 1.

Quote:

I did not think that Nikon would ever do it but they finally updated the software for their dedicated film scanners so that they can work in Windows Vista.

Almost every piece of hardware and almost all of my software will work perfectly well in Vista.

Isn't scanner support your biggest complaint about Linux? What you are saying is Vista appeared to be no better?

An OS where "almost" all your hardware works, very impressive!

Don't count on support in Linux for Nikon dedicated film scanners. And don't count on Nikon dedicated scanner support in the latest versions of Mac OS X. It may happen in Mac OS X although I doubt it. Of course you could pay $300.00-$400.00 for Silverfast scanner software and buy new Silverfast software everytime Apple came out with a new version of Mac OS X.

There is a Linux scanner and printer support page on the internet I used to visit occasionally when I was thinking about switching to Linux. The last time I visited that site there was still no support or only partial support for numerous scanners and printers that have been around for a few years. Seems like it is Linux that has the hardware support issues.

In case you have not noticed Nikon dropped their film cameras except for the most expensive model and has gone almost completely to digital. I did not think they would even update the drivers and software for their dedicated film scanners to Vista. But they did. They mention some sort of problem when trying to develop updated drivers and software for Mac OS X. I don't remember any mention of Linux. Their website is 'Nikon USA.' Look under software downloads.

Almost all of my other software and hardware has been completely compatible with Vista for some time now. A long time ago Epson came out with updated drivers and software for their scanners and printers. I have some software dating back to 2003 and 2004 running in Vista with no problems. The dedicated film scanner was just about the last item.

Now, could scanner and printer makers develop drivers and updated software for the latest Mac OS? Sure. Sometimes they do and sometimes not. Sometimes you might have to wait a long while for that support to happen. But almost every software and hardware manufacturer, unless they are developing only Mac OS X stuff, will fairly quickly develop updated drivers and software for the latest Windows operating system. Why? Because Microsoft Windows is on over 90% of all personal computers (not talking servers).

I did not even expect Nikon to come out with Vists support for their dedicated film scanners. But they did.

About five years ago or even before that I was seriously considering switching to Linux. I bought some books on Linux and I tried out a version of the operating system.

There are a few reasons I decided not to go to Linux.

For one thing, I noticed that it seemed to take forever (if it happened at all) for hardware like various computer components, scanners, printers, external hard drives, etc., to be fully (or even partially) compatible. You have to check everything, including computer components, to be sure that the equipment will work. That gets old fast. I realize that Linux people operate at a higher level and all of this is not important to them. But it was important to me.

For another thing I got sick and tired of the Linux websites. Yes I understand that truth is relative and all of that but I like to be told honest facts. I remember, just to give one example, a Linux website where the people there predicted that Microsoft would be gone in five years. Well, it has been five years and Microsoft is 90% of personal computers.

If you come to believe any of the stuff that passes for facts at the typical Linux website you would believe that Linux is already something like 10% of the market, or 20%, or whatever. And I am talking about personal desktop computers, not servers. Actually in the USA as far as anybody can determine personal desktop Linux computers are less than one percent.

I have some advice for the Linux people. They will not follow my advice because I don't operate at a high enough level. Make operating systems with good GUIs and create good software. OpenOffice is pretty good but GIMP needs work. Or else make sure that the LATEST versions of Photoshop will work in Linux and not just old versions. Develop drivers and necessary software so that at least the most common and the latest hardware will work with Linux. People should not have to determine that every piece of equipment in their computer is compatible with Linux. And people should be able to use scanners and printers. Some people do a little bit more with their computers than surf the internet, type the occasional letter, and email. If you want to appeal to industry at least the most important specialized software needs to work on Linux computers.

But the Linux people have never listened. I guess that explains the less than one percent of the personal computer market.

Linux is fine for servers. Linux will never amount to anything in the personal computer market until the Linux people learn how to listen to their potential market. If the Linux people ever do learn to listen to their potential customers they better start moving in that direction some time soon. There are about one billion computers in the world running Windows. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back