Nice that Great public works still possible in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice to see large public works projects can still be done in this country today, replacing obsolete, outdated infrastructure with new ones. On the way to and from Ohio the past couple times, I've seen some of the steel being used on this bridge being hauled on large trucks on the Southern Tier Expressway. I've driven past the construction site once recently, and it's impressive to be sure. Let's not forget that unlike CalTrans, the steel being used in the new NY Bridge is American Steel, made in Indiana, not China.

You can say what you want about him, Governer Cuomo has been great for the State of New York, we get a new Tappan Zee Bridge, Upstate is finally getting funding for roads and bridges, NYC gets the Second Avenue subway, Buffalo and the Capital Region are growing again thanks to companies like Solarcity, Regeneron, Global Foundries, GE, and others.

Nice to see after decades of neglect that our infrastructure is finally getting much needed attention. It's also nice to see that despite politics and everything, great public works projects can still be accomplished.

Great that we spend $$$$ here in the USA rebuilding our infrastructure.

Cut all spending on supporting puppet governments overseas.

The Tappen Zee bridge needed to replaced a good while before they finally got around to it. That was one of the first bridge names that I memorized when I was 5 years old while learning all of the interstates across the country. By the time I was 8 years old I knew how to get to NY without needing a map. Obviously I couldn't drive but I knew how to get there. I also knew all of the interstates in and around NY City. One of the questions I had in my head at that time was just how long the Tappen Zee bridge had to have been.. Plus I wondered just how long it would be befire Interstate 287 would be completed around NYC. That didn't happen until the early 1990s. Only one larger bypass route around a city via interstate. And that's 495 around Boston.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Ohio is a much better state to live in.

I have lived in Ohio all my 52 years but I have visited upstate New York two times and I loved it!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's nice to look at , but NYC does all they can to kill upstate NY economically

That's actually not really the case. Upstate NY gets more in taxes back than they pay, NYC pays more taxes to upstate than we do to them. And let's be honest, the rest of the state wouldn't have any money at all if it weren't for NYC. Cuomo just got a metric butt-load of money for upstate roads and bridges and other infrastructure in the last budget passed a few months ago. Not to mention all the money the state has been pouring into revitalization programs for Buffalo, and the Capital Region, which are starting to bear fruit. I'd hope CNY and the Southern tier will be next.

It also shows that we don't need to rely on China for steel for large structures (cough caltrans and the new bay bridge cough).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
And more commonly, these things turn into jewels like Boston's Big Dig...

It was optimistically estimated project to get the project running. However a pleathera of every bad condition spun the price tag but a great feat of engineering.

What I never understood is that many of the other bridges in the region are much older than the Tappan Zee and still going strong.

Not sure why the Tappan Zee was constructed with such a short life span.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
And more commonly, these things turn into jewels like Boston's Big Dig...
ROFL, only a few BILLION over budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back