NHRA Pro Stock Bearings

Hello. I thought I would share what a set of bearings looked like from a NHRA 500" Pro Stock engine looked like when the Engine builder and the oil company are both hitting on all 8. These were run this year at Pomona and Phoenix. They have seen 21 passes at 1400+ horsepower at 10,500 rpms. The oil used varied from a 0W3 to a 0W8.

Elitemains.jpeg

Eliterod 2.jpeg

Originally Posted by High Performance Lubricants
The bearings are Clevite the coating is Calico

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
May I ask who the vendor is for the bearings?

Thank you!! Another question if I can, are the wrist pins DLC/casidium coated?

Oil varies by weight
But what brand of oil if you can say

Thanks for the pics
Great stuff
Thank you !ðŸ‘

It is our oil. High Performance Lubricants. The team is Elite Motorsports. With that team Erica Enders won the NHRA Pro Stock championship last year and Jeg Coughlin Jr was second in points.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Oil varies by weight
But what brand of oil if you can say

Thanks for the pics
Great stuff
Thank you !ðŸ‘

Yes to DLC pins

The bearings are Clevite the coating is Calico

May I ask who the vendor is for the bearings?

Thank you!! Another question if I can, are the wrist pins DLC/casidium coated?

Can you give us an idea of the base oil make-up and add pack for this racing application?
BTW, Elite is an exemplary team but I pretty much quit watching pro stock when the Mopar/Allen Johnson left.

Last edited:
I can certainly talk about it in general. It is mostly PAO, it uses a dexos based ad pack and we top treat it to make it do what we want.

The Johnson's are great people and represented the class very professionally for a very long time.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Can you give us an idea of the base oil make-up and add pack for this racing application?
BTW, Elite is an exemplary team but I pretty much quit watching pro stock when the Mopar/Allen Johnson left.

Thanks for the info. Top treat? Not sure what that means exactly. I checked out your website. IIRC you are going to eventually add a store for your various products. I have two daily driver diesel vehicles that have DPF and urea injection. I run a one year 10k mile interval on them. They both are subject to -20F to -40F multi day cold soak conditions here in Wyoming in the winter. I have been using Ravenol and Red Line Euro for this reason figuring PAO/ester may be more forgiving in that environment. Any thoughts and do you sell a product that would be used in this style application. Thanks again for the transparency in your answers.

Thank you very much for posting and telling what you can!! I am a big motorsports fan and really enjoy seeing everything done with the engines in not only drag racing but in all forms of motorsports.

Thanks for the info. Top treat? Not sure what that means exactly. I checked out your website. IIRC you are going to eventually add a store for your various products. I have two daily driver diesel vehicles that have DPF and urea injection. I run a one year 10k mile interval on them. They both are subject to -20F to -40F multi day cold soak conditions here in Wyoming in the winter. I have been using Ravenol and Red Line Euro for this reason figuring PAO/ester may be more forgiving in that environment. Any thoughts and do you sell a product that would be used in this style application. Thanks again for the transparency in your answers.

We are working on an online store at the moment. By top treat I am referring to the additional chemistry that needs to go in the oil because there would not be much of a chance to just put standard chemistry in that type of environment and expect it to work.

With respect to your climate and diesels we have good diesel product lines in the original robust CI4 plus family as well as current CK-4 chemistry that much like the Pro Stock oils we modify them. We start where many other companies do but say forget about the API license and then make the oils perform much better. We do make some PAO/Ester based diesel oils.

I can certainly talk about it in general. It is mostly PAO, it uses a dexos based ad pack and we top treat it to make it do what we want.

The Johnson's are great people and represented the class very professionally for a very long time.

Thank you sir for your info

Got enough to know now !!!

Thanks !!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Pretty neat stuff!

What is the oil temperature, and what would you estimate the oil viscosity to be during the pass down the strip?

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Pretty neat stuff!

What is the oil temperature, and what would you estimate the oil viscosity to be during the pass down the strip?

Oil temp is 100-140*F. The viscosity at that temp is most likely in the 10-15 cSt range.

Back