NHRA Pro Stock 500ci Engine on the Dyno (10,500 rpm)

MADCAP Racing Engines, owned/operated by Bob Reinhardt, posted this video to Facebook yesterday of them testing a 500 cubic inch NHRA Pro Stock engine to 10,500 rpm on their dyno. The engine is revved up to the minimal rpm the engine would see during a 1/4-mile run (~8,500 rpm), then loaded by the dyno, and swept through the narrow, high rpm range to the NHRA mandated peak rpm of 10,500 rpm. Power numbers kept confidential (for obvious reasons) but typical for these engines is ~3 hp/ci.

For the "thin" oil fans here, this engine uses a 0w-8 oil from High Performance Lubricants.

Crank the volume up, and enjoy the beautiful sound of a 500ci V8 screaming at 10,500 rpm.

Pro Stock engines are some of the most technologically developed engines in racing. Not just drag racing either; all racing.

The power they make without any power-adders and a relativity small displacement is a testament to how well engineered and well scrutinized they are at getting air into and out of the engine. Pure efficiency. Amazing.

Wow! I would like to learn a bit more about these engines, such as block design, material, cam specs, etc.
Is there a "Dummys" site I might check out?

Thanks in advance.

Pro Stock engines are some of the most technologically developed engines in racing. Not just drag racing either; all racing.

The power they make without any power-adders and a relativity small displacement is a testament to how well engineered and well scrutinized they are at getting air into and out of the engine. Pure efficiency. Amazing.

I have been a PS fan for a long time. I don't go to NHRA events to see the nitro cars (though they are awesome to see in their own right), I love the sound of a naturally aspirated engine at high rpm. It's music to my ears. These engines are the pinnacle of engine efficiency.

Wow! I would like to learn a bit more about these engines, such as block design, material, cam specs, etc.
Is there a "Dummys" site I might check out?

Thanks in advance.

There's secrets that each builder will keep to themselves for their respective team. Some stuff is pretty standardized such as the displacement is locked at 500 cubic inches (8.2 liters) and max rpm is locked at 10,500 rpm (they were at 12,000+ rpm before the mandate). You will never see the combustion chamber of a PS head, for example. Here's a good article that covers pretty much everything the general public is "allowed" to see.

So if 500 cu inch yields 1500 hp at the crank which it's being measured at, it will be less at the rear wheels. In case you guys weren't aware, there are street cars making 2500-3000 at the rear wheels. No restrictions on how much you can make, only monetary restrictions. NHRA has taken the fun out of racing, that's why street racers have been making it come alive again. When some guy working out his garage can build a car that will beat a pro "team built sponsored car", it' should feel embarrassing for NHRA to keep a strangle hold on them.,,

So if 500 cu inch yields 1500 hp at the crank which it's being measured at, it will be less at the rear wheels. In case you guys weren't aware, there are street cars making 2500-3000 at the rear wheels. No restrictions on how much you can make, only monetary restrictions. NHRA has taken the fun out of racing, that's why street racers have been making it come alive again. When some guy working out his garage can build a car that will beat a pro "team built sponsored car", it' should feel embarrassing for NHRA to keep a strangle hold on them.,,

The majority of the rules enforced by NHRA are for safety of the driver, the crew, and the fans watching them. Those so-called "street" cars, such as the Street Outlaws, are making that kind of power with 600-1000ci engines and forced induction. They are also typically running methanol with filled blocks and no radiator or a small radiator only efficient enough to keep it cool for the
Anybody can put together a 2500 hp twin turbo big block on alky. Only a few masters of the craft can put together a competitive PS engine.

Remove all the windmills and then see what everyone makes in their garage.

Natural aspiration is a science all its own.

NHRA - according to many killed the sport, old schoolers like Jungle Jim hated the org.

UD

Last edited:

NHRA has a class for these types of cars too: Pro Mod

There is a related video (link at end of the video above) with a similar engine on the dyno at Madcap. You can hear the guys at the end say 1802, presumably the HP number. Amazing(y)

10,000 plus rpm big block must have some expensive parts.

Especially in the valvetrain with billet cam core, high ratio (1.8-2.0:1) rockers, >1" valve lift, and >1,000 lbs of spring pressure. The rods are typically forged steel and pistons are forged aluminum. A 4.7" bore x 3.6" stroke.

Pretty impressive!
Im a fan of open wheel sprint cars. The locals here are ~1000hp out of 410 cubic inch small blocks. They do use alcohol. BTW the rules state the car WITH driver must weigh 1200 lbs.
Watching 24 of those racing on dirt at a 1/3 mile oval.....

Pretty impressive!
Im a fan of open wheel sprint cars. The locals here are ~1000hp out of 410 cubic inch small blocks. They do use alcohol. BTW the rules state the car WITH driver must weigh 1200 lbs.
We have a 1/4 mile paved track in Meridian and I shouldn't like them but the winged sprint cars are crazy fast ! I try to hit the track twice a year.

High revving because the over-square bore to stroke ratio. And of course balanced and blue printed. Being a drag race use engine, it's got a short life before a rebuild.

Bore: 4.700 inches
Stroke: 3.600 inches

Pretty impressive!

Most people have no idea how awesome sprint cars are.
My buddies from Europe got a real education when I took them to a sprint car race.
"You guys are nuts!"

Grandad built a few 406' sprint car mills, and I remember going to see Earl Gaerte to pick up the heads.

UD

3hp/ci is not really that impressive.

i have 2 in my garage.

single cylinder
dual over head cam (shim n bucket)
normally aspirated.
rev limiter is at 14,000 rpm
250cc (thats 15cubic inches) that make more than 45hp.
and the entire motor fits between my ankles and i can lift it quite easily with just my own 2 arms.
so neener neener PS guys. you can brag when you are at 4hp/ci, because im past 3.2 ;)

NHRA has a class for these types of cars too: Pro Mod
I caught some Pro Mod coverage on TV a while back, and it seemed like 30 minutes of tire smoke. Ocasionally one would put down a clean run in the fives, but usually both cars lost traction. Pro Stockers, on the other hand, run deadly-consistent sixes time after time.

I caught some Pro Mod coverage on TV a while back, and it seemed like 30 minutes of tire smoke. Ocasionally one would put down a clean run in the fives, but usually both cars lost traction. Pro Stockers, on the other hand, run deadly-consistent sixes time after time.
There's a reason for that. But I don't want to offend anyone that might not like to hear the reason. I'll just say that everyone out there racing is doing it because they love it.

3hp/ci is not really that impressive.

i have 2 in my garage.

single cylinder
dual over head cam (shim n bucket)
normally aspirated.
rev limiter is at 14,000 rpm
250cc (thats 15cubic inches) that make more than 45hp.
and the entire motor fits between my ankles and i can lift it quite easily with just my own 2 arms.
so neener neener PS guys. you can brag when you are at 4hp/ci, because im past 3.2 ;)
Snowmobile, 1000cc yamaha making 400+hp. Ive ridden. My buddy owns it.
Others that are drag racing them are over 600hp, same engine. Have to use a billet block over 450hp. They egg out.

6.5hp/ci
9.8hp/ci

Back