NGK Ruthenium HX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the new NGK Ruthenium HX Plugs here at the forum and if so did you notice any improvements?
We dont stock them at work right now.. However I have seen them online and they are pricey... Just wondering what you all think?
Below is what the NGK Website says.

The Latest Innovation in Precious Metal Spark Plugs.

Modern engines demand more power while using less fuel, shortening the life of traditional iridium and platinum spark plugs. NGK's patented ruthenium technology stands up better to wear to bring maximum durability and performance to your engine.

Designed for every engine.

Ruthenium HX is available in two designs to best maximize the performance of your engine.

DFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability while reducing emissions for low-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for non-turbo applications.

PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for turbo and supercharged engines.

High ignitability for better cold starts.

Ruthenium HX provides more complete fuel burn than other precious metal spark plugs, resulting in quicker throttle response, smoother idle and better cold starts.

Better durability at high temperatures.

Ruthenium performs better at high temperatures in various driving conditions compared to the leading precious metal spark plugs

More stable under pressure.

Standard combustion tests look for a spark plug's ability to maintain stable performance during combustion and engine operation. When compared to conventional spark plugs, Ruthenium HX remains more stable with less dispersion

I would consider the Ruthenium a MUST in any car that it's hard to change the spark plugs in, so you won't have to do it again

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I would consider the Ruthenium a MUST in any car that it's hard to change the spark plugs in, so you won't have to do it again

That makes perfect sense b/c there are some cars out there that you have to take the whole top of the engine off / intake off to do the spark plugs on the back.. Like on a front-wheel Driver car.

However, I'm trying to see if anyone here has used them and what improvements have they noticed if any?

Nope. They don't came gapped properly for my application. I have a set of Denso Iridium tough ready, when it comes time to replace my NGK Iridium IX

They are a few bucks a plug cheaper than OE iridium option for my RX on rockauto. Exciting for me since I have to disassemble an unreasonable amount of the vehicle to get to the 3 rear plugs. Now if I can only find plugs to fit my R1, 15k mi intervals are no fun.

This is the same thing as the dino/synthetic oil debate.
It's not about superior performance, rather it is about longevity at a comparable performance level.

Are they lifetime plugs ? Funny, lifetime fluids are a taboo around her but spark plugs are okay ? Iridiums are generally good for 100k miles so are these Ruthenium plugs spec'd for (a lot) longer than that ?

Originally Posted by Imp4
This is the same thing as the dino/synthetic oil debate.
It's not about superior performance, rather it is about longevity at a comparable performance level.

Someone found some speculative evidence that the move to Ruthenium is due to high prices of the raw materials of Iridium and Platinum. Ruthenium has equal (?) properties and is substantially cheaper.

Agree. With Factory Iridiums, you can do your first change at 100,000 miles. Put in a set of Rutheniums and you'll be good for at least another 100,000 miles. So that's 200,000 miles, possibly more. So effectively, most people won't be doing a second change while they still own the car.

Or this?

Rutheniums.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back