NGK or AC Delco Spark Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a good point also. Not always is the OE part perfect or the best, there are exceptions. I use to really like ACDelco plugs back before the days of platinum plugs when they were making their own plugs. I think they were about the best regular copper core resitor plug. I think ACDelco plugs took a drop in quality for awhile. Sometimes I'd find the platinum tab on the ground electrode had fell off of plugs with not all that many miles.

The NGK style ACDelco plugs seem to be good quality and priced fairly reasonably. NGK brand plugs are overpriced. I also liked Autolites.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
You have a good point also. Not always is the OE part perfect or the best, there are exceptions. I use to really like ACDelco plugs back before the days of platinum plugs when they were making their own plugs. I think they were about the best regular copper core resitor plug. I think ACDelco plugs took a drop in quality for awhile. Sometimes I'd find the platinum tab on the ground electrode had fell off of plugs with not all that many miles.

The NGK style ACDelco plugs seem to be good quality and priced fairly reasonably. NGK brand plugs are overpriced. I also liked Autolites.

I agree again! I have also seen some Delcos missing the platinum "puck" and all I ever use in my Buick GN are the factory recommended copper Delcos. Since AC/Delco basically stopped making parts and is now basically a parts boxer, I too have lost a lot of hope in them. When they stopped making plugs and oil filters hurt the most I think.

Last edited:
To the OP;

Your OE plug is the AC Delco 41-101 Iridiums as you seem to know already. Stick with those as they are good plugs and not too expensive. Good for 100K. OE's are not standard plugs as some have said. Definitely iridiums. Use what your ignition system is setup for.

AAP has them online listed at $6.99 each. If you buy online and pick up at a local store you can use coupon code P20 and save 20%. Makes the 6 plugs only $33.55( $5.59 each + any taxes you have ). $34 for a set of 6 plugs good for 100K is not too bad.

IMHO use the 41-101's.

+1 on the 41-101 above. Factory plugs went 150K without a misfire code, MPG decrease, or any other symptom. Only replaced with AC Delco 41-101's out of guilt. 130K miles later, the guilt is creeping back up. I'll be changing them this Fall as part of my 300K mile service.

Note: I thought about using a different plug for about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Yup, I checked out some other parts shops and the 41-101's are a pretty good deal with that rebate from advance.

Thanks again all.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I did a tuneup on an 06 Equinox last year and used Autolite Iridium XP's. Great plug and priced right. I use them all the time along with their double plats when spec'd for.

I don't buy into all the NGK this or that. Overpriced for the same spark and life.
I'm willing to pay a buck or two extra for a plug I know is good. I'm not into saving a buck on a plug and blowing a bunch of $$ on purple colored motor oil.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I did a tuneup on an 06 Equinox last year and used Autolite Iridium XP's. Great plug and priced right. I use them all the time along with their double plats when spec'd for.

I don't buy into all the NGK this or that. Overpriced for the same spark and life.
I'm willing to pay a buck or two extra for a plug I know is good. I'm not into saving a buck on a plug and blowing a bunch of $$ on purple colored motor oil.

LOL! I agree with you on the purple oil but the Autolite Iridium XP plugs ARE a good plug. The more the cost of a product does not 100% mean better quality. But your point is well taken none the less.

Last edited:
NKG/DENSO irridium are best spark plugs on market,

Since you have an American car , AC DELCO will do wonders for you. Thats just how it is. If NKG is only a buck or two , go for it. otherwise AC delco should be fine choice.

Wow. BITOG has hit an all time low. A Royal Purple bash in a thread about spark plugs. I have seen it all now.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

Since you have an American car , AC DELCO will do wonders for you. Thats just how it is. If NKG is only a buck or two , go for it. otherwise AC delco should be fine choice.

Note that for most V8 applications the AC/Delco brand is made by... NGK!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Wow. BITOG has hit an all time low. A Royal Purple bash in a thread about spark plugs. I have seen it all now.
33.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine if RP made spark plugs.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

Note that for most V8 applications the AC/Delco brand is made by... NGK!

Absolutely. AC Delcos are made by a variety of manufacturers and that includes NGK, DENSO and Bosch. The don't make ANY sparkplugs themselves anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swarmlord
Is it worth it to get some anti-seize compound for them?

If the threads are black, then use anti-seize. If they are silver colored, then there is a protective coating on the plug already and no need for anti-seize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back