Next New Oil You Will Try ?

Nulon 5W30 Long-Life full synthetic (Dexos1-Gen2)

A well respected Aussie brand, that is often on sale at a good price.

I've been planning on trying it for ages, and I finally got to use some yesterday when I did an oil change with it.
Used that. Would like to see a VOA

well.. for me.. I've just run out of my stash of Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and the replacement Castrol FS didn't really strike me as a good fit. I've opted for Supertech FS 10k 5w30 for the Project Civic. So far I'm liking it, crazy as it sounds I've gained 3 mpgs!

I do have a stash of the thinner Castrol Edge 5w30 SP rated for the Scion tC (2az-fe engine) but I'm not sure if thin is something the 2az-fe would like, so debating about returning that and using the Supertech on the tC.

I'm in New Zealand so its a little different for me.

I have Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W30 in the sump of my Holden Commodore at the moment with a ryco syntec oil filter, I have a decent stash of it and has kept my Alloytec (HFV6) sludge & varnish free.

Plan to use Mobil 1 5W30 ESP next change with Ryco Syntec oil filter. Why? Because I haven't used it before and I got some on sale recently.

I'll be sticking with Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 or 5W30 until Mobil messes with it which results in a quality cut. Quality improvements are always welcome.

well.. for me.. I've just run out of my stash of Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and the replacement Castrol FS didn't really strike me as a good fit. I've opted for Supertech FS 10k 5w30 for the Project Civic. So far I'm liking it, crazy as it sounds I've gained 3 mpgs!

I do have a stash of the thinner Castrol Edge 5w30 SP rated for the Scion tC (2az-fe engine) but I'm not sure if thin is something the 2az-fe would like, so debating about returning that and using the Supertech on the tC.
I was a user of Castrol Magnatec 5W30 and liked it - not sure how the replacement Castrol FS oil compares ?

I was a user of Castrol Magnatec 5W30 and liked it - not sure how the replacement Castrol FS oil compares ?
thanks for the reply.. The newer Castrol FS is not the same "Recipe", the VOA (53 stude did it, I think) was showing that it was different from Magnatec no matter what Castrol's marketing dept claimed. Since Magnatec is gone now I'm thinking I'm going to try the Supertech FS 10k 5w30 in my scion tC. I know I mentioned it before but I just had the project civic oil changed and already saw a 3mpg fuel economy gain! Nice!

Adding this...
I know that the VTEC in the 96 Civic uses oil as a hydraulic fluid to activate the system. The Supertech is 10.9 viscocity so it's a bit thicker (a little) than the Magnatec I did a VOA on. Maybe that's why the civic is working better now.. And a thicker oil might be ok for the 2az-fe in my tC. Pondering that lately..

Last edited:
I've been running PUP in my Accord, but I bought a small stash of Kirkland when I borrowed my in-laws Costco card. I run 5000 OCI so I'm going to start being a bit more frugal with my oil purchases.

I picked up some Gulf Western 10W30 semi-synthetic (API SP and ILSAC GF-6A) at 70% Off, $10 for 5L

That is an amazing good price for Australia at $2 per litre, and you have the natural advantages of 10W30 such as its low Noack volatility and its shear stability, coupled with the new tests added to SP & GF-6A, like timing chain wear protection and LSPI protection.

Gulf Western isn’t a brand I usually pay attention to, but I’ve looked them up and yes they are on the official API list. So I'm now keen to give this oil a run.

I've been using Pennzoil products for years but VOAs/PQIAs of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic has lured me in with its siren song.

Nothing until maybe 2027, I should be fine till then.

View attachment 106190

You're on my level. I can bring almost as much of this as I can fit.. not oil..

Next new oil I will try? I'm thinking some kind of Supertech. I want to stock (back) up on my HPL oils, because obviously superior, in every imaginable way and is an outstanding, outstanding company. I do hope @OVERKILL can make the Open House, they are just that good.

If I can keep my oil level good, I am happy. Oil leak is suspected. HPL slowed it down some. Amazing.

I am one quart HPL Red Cap EC, one and a half quarts HPL 5W-30 oil, and about 1/2 quart a random conventional 10W-40 left, on an otherwise full sump, so.. if I can purchase some more HPL oil on the 25% off being extended to the attendees, I will.

If I can make it. Maybe I'll save my money towards HPL purchase. Honestly excited to run that exclusively and ditch my Frankenbrews.

I picked up some Gulf Western 10W30 semi-synthetic (API SP and ILSAC GF-6A) at 70% Off, $10 for 5L

That is an amazing good price for Australia at $2 per litre, and you have the natural advantages of 10W30 such as its low Noack volatility and its shear stability, coupled with the new tests added to SP & GF-6A, like timing chain wear protection and LSPI protection.

Gulf Western isn’t a brand I usually pay attention to, but I’ve looked them up and yes they are on the official API list. So I'm now keen to give this oil a run.
Spoke to Gulf Western tech a few months back. Very surprised at the base stocks etc they’re using. Definitely worth a chat when you have time.

Spoke to Gulf Western tech a few months back. Very surprised at the base stocks etc they’re using. Definitely worth a chat when you have time.
I would love to hear more about what they said. Like I said GW is new to me, but I'm looking forward too trying their 10W30.

They seem to have got SP rated before many of the other brands here in Oz.

The QS FS 10W30 seems even better than the Valvoline Advanced that I used to run and promote - at least from the drivers seat. And the Valvoline was stunningly good. I may even run the QS in the Subaru that is spec'd for a 0W20.

It is truly a set, forget and enjoy oil.

I am still clearing my old M1 HM 10w30 and my Fuchs Titan GT1 Evo 0w20 :D, my Shell Helix Ultra SN Plus 0w20 and M1 EP 0w20 API SP will need to wait then

New? not much still have about 20 jugs of Rotella gas truck, and 10 PP

Might throw some motul 5w40 in the Home deere 316 it uses and leaks no oil

I'm down to 1 jug of 15w40 for the deere 850 and 5qts havoline 20w50.. that I'm saving for the oil burner 316 at the Cabin.1oz/hour burn rate Almost mosquito fogger. Engine has massive hours on it. hour meter broke at 5000 8 years ago iirc. And it was plenty of knee/thigh high field and trail mowing.

Back