Next-Gen Mazda 6 Switching to RWD Layout, Inline-Six Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with that much power, RWD based would make sense. I can get a VERY SLIGHT amount of torque steer with my CX5 at 260hp/310# torque (intake added 10whp, rofl!). I would imagine a SA-X i6 engine would indeed induce it.

Interestingly though, my front/rear tires wear 100% equally. I didn't rotate them for the last 10K miles to see, and yup, all 4 tires are now at 7/32 all around. Front, rear, didn't matter. The AWD system in the CX5 is extremely quick, to the point that tire wear is even over thousands of miles, unlike many fwd based reactive systems.

Most of these new cars try to emulate the rwd look anyways with long hoods. Maybe they'll do the opposite with cars, build them rwd and add electric power for the front wheels when needed for awd or cruising only on electric

Yawn. Just Looked at the link.

Nothing to see here, though the Compression ignition Gasoline engine tech sounds interesting.

Styling is familial and simultaneously outdated - though likely just a missed target by C&D "crystal-balling" based on past efforts.

Nothing entices me here.
Cranks are too long on I6.
Then add in all the other doo das and I'm out.

Where is the real innovation?

I want to see EXTERNAL combustion.

I'm back to my mid 60s cars that were engaging to drive.

Tout a l'heure !

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by CKN
At the end of the day....they will still be a niche player with a minuscule market share.

Agreed. This is why I think Porsche, Ferrari, etc. are stupid. Noone would ever want one of those. Loser companies making loser cars. Jeez.

The issue being is that as a company that are not making profits to sustain them-

https://www.autonews.com/automakers...eign-exchange-lower-sales-dealer-outlays

Not many automakers are enjoying profitable times lately. For Mazda the entry into the Toyota family was timely.

It's not like the same platform cannot be used for a CUV or SUV. Most of them we have today started as car platforms anyway, so this one would likely do the same.

Work out the bugs in a smaller market segment before you transition your higher volume offerings.

Originally Posted by Danno
A large sedan chasing a smaller and smaller slice of the sedan pie.
In Canada 80% + of the market is CUVs, SUVs and Pickups.
In US the number is 70%+

Hope they know what they're doing re: profit

Originally Posted by edyvw
This absolutely makes sense.
I told here few years ago when MB announced inline 6 engines that last laugh has BMW in this. Inline 6 engines are necessary bcs. of modularity. MB went that way, FCA is going that way, Mazda is going that way. It is much cheaper to make inline 6 and on same line 4 banger. Mazda obviously needs 6cyl engine to expand portfolio. It is cheaper to make inline 6 together with 4 banger on same line, regardless that inline 6 is actually more expensive and not as capable to use it it various other vehicles (anything transverse or minivans. Though Volvo might say they could, but not sure who wants transverse inline 6) than going V6 route. On top of that, inline 6 is anyway better engine, add to that RWD and longitudinal layout and Mazda is going to be far more serious option for enthusiasts than anything Toyota, Honda etc. With this vehicle they actually have a shot at luxury segment. Longitudinal layout will offer better weight distribution, it allows much more complex suspension in the front. They could easily go with double wishbone in longitudinal layout if the choose so. Add manual and option without hybrid, and I could seriously look at that vehicle.

Don't count on a manual...

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Id didnt read the link as I'm about to run to the store to pick up some Virus
frown.gif

They could use the old RX8 chassis but i suppose its not small offset crash worthy

And Too heavy.

But, Cool !

RWD great ! That straight 6 IDK

Now a flat 6 = cool factor, shorter and lower center of G.

Ill check it later ...
smile.gif

Flat 6... cool, but as far as mtce access? Now I know you hav a Subie... but I'll bet that the plugs are no cake-walk... Timing chain? (Though the latter would be pretty infrequwnt, if at all).

Originally Posted by carguy1701
Originally Posted by shrooms
That looks incredible. If they'd make a 100% natural aspirated engine without the hybrid garbage, I'd consider it.

The days of N/A engines outside of performance and absolute base models are over, I think. Everyone and their brother thinks forced induction (usually with a turbo) is the answer.

As for the mild hybrid stuff, I nominally agree, but you can thank regulators for that one.

I have to agree, re your turbocharging comment...

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by edyvw
This absolutely makes sense.
I told here few years ago when MB announced inline 6 engines that last laugh has BMW in this. Inline 6 engines are necessary bcs. of modularity. MB went that way, FCA is going that way, Mazda is going that way. It is much cheaper to make inline 6 and on same line 4 banger. Mazda obviously needs 6cyl engine to expand portfolio. It is cheaper to make inline 6 together with 4 banger on same line, regardless that inline 6 is actually more expensive and not as capable to use it it various other vehicles (anything transverse or minivans. Though Volvo might say they could, but not sure who wants transverse inline 6) than going V6 route. On top of that, inline 6 is anyway better engine, add to that RWD and longitudinal layout and Mazda is going to be far more serious option for enthusiasts than anything Toyota, Honda etc. With this vehicle they actually have a shot at luxury segment. Longitudinal layout will offer better weight distribution, it allows much more complex suspension in the front. They could easily go with double wishbone in longitudinal layout if the choose so. Add manual and option without hybrid, and I could seriously look at that vehicle.

Don't count on a manual...

Mazda is weird. They like to surprise.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Id didnt read the link as I'm about to run to the store to pick up some Virus
frown.gif

They could use the old RX8 chassis but i suppose its not small offset crash worthy

And Too heavy.

But, Cool !

RWD great ! That straight 6 IDK

Now a flat 6 = cool factor, shorter and lower center of G.

Ill check it later ...
smile.gif

Flat 6... cool, but as far as mtce access? Now I know you hav a Subie... but I'll bet that the plugs are no cake-walk... Timing chain? (Though the latter would be pretty infrequwnt, if at all).

Inline over flat at any time.

As a fan of Mazda and former Mazda6 owner this new RWD inline six more upmarket 6 sounds pretty great. It's hard to beat a perfectly balanced RWD silky smooth inline six, and with the high tech sorta diesel-like Skyactiv-X hybrid engines it'll be an impressive car.

Having said all that it won't help Mazda as it lacks the brand prestige to compete above the Camccord class and in a SUV/cross-over mad market even the best cars on the market are doomed to ever shrinking sales. A RWD based drive-line is inherently more expensive then a FWD which is why RWD is limited to BMW's and Mercedes in cars, that along with the cutting edge and expensive hybrid supercharged Skyactiv-X drive train will mean there's no turning back to the Accord-Camry class and it will have to make it in the very niche near luxury Volvo-Buick class while trying to edge into the 3 series class. The CX5 is single handily keeping Mazda above water in the US market, the lesson from that should be clear, take that CX5 formula and apply it to new SUV's in the HR-V/C-HR class and Passport/Highlander class. I personally can't stand this SUV/cross-over madness that we're in, but it's better to have a Mazda that makes a bunch of SUV's and few cars rather then no Mazda.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
As a fan of Mazda and former Mazda6 owner this new RWD inline six more upmarket 6 sounds pretty great. It's hard to beat a perfectly balanced RWD silky smooth inline six, and with the high tech sorta diesel-like Skyactiv-X hybrid engines it'll be an impressive car.

Having said all that it won't help Mazda as it lacks the brand prestige to compete above the Camccord class and in a SUV/cross-over mad market even the best cars on the market are doomed to ever shrinking sales. A RWD based drive-line is inherently more expensive then a FWD which is why RWD is limited to BMW's and Mercedes in cars, that along with the cutting edge and expensive hybrid supercharged Skyactiv-X drive train will mean there's no turning back to the Accord-Camry class and it will have to make it in the very niche near luxury Volvo-Buick class while trying to edge into the 3 series class. The CX5 is single handily keeping Mazda above water in the US market, the lesson from that should be clear, take that CX5 formula and apply it to new SUV's in the HR-V/C-HR class and Passport/Highlander class. I personally can't stand this SUV/cross-over madness that we're in, but it's better to have a Mazda that makes a bunch of SUV's and few cars rather then no Mazda.

If FCA can keep pumping out cheap trash with rwd driveline, you wont convince me that its cost prohibitive for anything but MB or bmw.

I have to agree with your assessment. I have a 2017 Mazda6. Here's to hoping that Mazda makes marketing decisions that keeps it solvent.

I like sedans, but I do have to say that as I age, they ARE harder to get-in to... What I DO like is that my purchases, my articles - can be hidden in the trunk, away from prying eyes. Theft, or potential theft, for me, is an issue. This is not to say that the articles are safer in my sedan than those in an SUV.... but by virtue of its closed-in Design - things are neither visible, nor are they hidden under a pull-out shade.

For utility, well, I like my receiver-tube trailer hitch and my roof rack. Correct, not a convenient as an (enclosed) SUV... but that is a price I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:

If FCA can keep pumping out cheap trash with rwd driveline, you wont convince me that its cost prohibitive for anything but MB or bmw.

The cheapest RWD car that FCA makes is the 2020 Challenger which has a base MSRP of $28,095 compare that to a typical mid size FWD car like the 2020 Accord which has a base MSRP of $24,020.

The cheapest RWD car that FCA makes is the 2020 Challenger which has a base MSRP of $28,095 compare that to a typical mid size FWD car like the 2020 Accord which has a base MSRP of $24,020.

And it is rolling on 26year old platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back