Newspapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm one of the rare breed who still LOVES to hold and read a real newspaper and hold and read a real book. It's all part of the experience!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Donald

And if you listen or watch or read NPR or PBS you should donate.

Bwaaa, ha, ha!
I thought you said it wouldn't be political.
+1

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Most "jourlynism" is supported by a large number of advertisers. I don't plan to pay them to throw advertisements in my face.

BINGO!

It's no different than paying for a cable subscription.
I don't understand why I need to pay the cable company (or paper publisher) to send me nonsense in the mail to sell me things I dont' want/need. They should be offering this stuff for free, including the TV shows/movies attached to them.

It's like buying t-shirts with company logos across the front (something I was guilty of doing in high school). I'm PAYING for them to use me as a walking billboard.
crazy2.gif

As someone who was in the commercial print Industry for 30plus years-I can tell you without advertising that newspaper would cost you more than many would want to pay.
That's the reason for advertising.

Printing presses are multi-million investments, as are other aspects of running a business. Many on here know nothing about that. Some do.

Last edited:
The best part of the day is reading a real paper Newspaper with a fresh cup of coffee.

^ Thank You ^

Last edited:
I really enjoy the local Waco Tribune-Herald - - just because it's nice to know what's happening nearby.

My workplace gets the Wall Street Journal & it has some pretty good articles sometimes.

I love the newspaper, I always use it to wash my windows. I only read obituaries, can't care less for bias news and propaganda.

And if you listen or watch or read NPR or PBS you should donate.

Bwaaa, ha, ha!
I thought you said it wouldn't be political.

I was not suggesting you get news from PBS or NPR but was only suggesting if you do then you should contribute.

I pay my taxes so I already do! Where do you think their funding comes from? Tax money and donations. I would rather donate to something worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Newspaper?

In the late 50's I was a newspaper boy powered by a real bicycle. A month was $2.10. I was 12 years old when I started. I actually built it up to 2 routes and earned about $10 a day. It taught me how to not get bit by dogs. There were no lease laws and it was open season on paperboys by every dog on the route.

Did you ever have trouble collecting your $2.10?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iayLBI7nsE0&t=5s&ab_channel=jiggerfool

I just don't remember having trouble collecting and people often tipped. People gave me cookies and stuff like that and on Christmas (I hope the work Christmas doesn't get censored) I received bigger than usual tips and sometimes presents.

I would often catch a ride up an especially steep long road with neighbors or the milk man (remember that?) and they would even take me back down.

Life was different in the 50's. Not all changes are for the better.

I get a couple free local papers they toss in the yard each week, but haven't paid for a paper in years. I get up each morning at 5, make my coffee and log onto msn and then check out USA today. After checking the news, I check out what's new on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I already know everything I need to know and everything I want to know.

That is pretty sad.

ACTUALLY, when you consider who posted that statement, it's quite humorous. Who says you can't get a good laugh from an oil forum?

Originally Posted By: Milkman
The best part of the day is reading a real paper Newspaper with a fresh cup of coffee.

I agree!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I already know everything I need to know and everything I want to know.

That is pretty sad.

ACTUALLY, when you consider who posted that statement, it's quite humorous. Who says you can't get a good laugh from an oil forum?

Yep, pretty stunning. The latest theory from the alien mega structure is that the dimming star isn't a Dyson's sphere, but has just finishing devouring a planet and going back to it's original brightness. Pretty interesting stuff. I suppose that could fall into the category of things you don't want to know.

I just really want to know if the white walkers will take over the world and if winter is really coming.

I buy my local newspaper and enjoy it. We're all flooded with national news/propoganda 24/7. I don't buy a paper for that.

I'll buy one to read during my lunch break. Shame that our local newspaper industry has been shriveling up though. It wasn't like that 10 years ago when we had competing large and indie newspaper companies and super thick multi sectional newspapers. Now it's down to a single merged company, indies closing up doors and thin tabloid format newspapers.

I'd love to get multiple papers. News may be biased, but if I could skim several papers I'm guessing I might get most of the story. I also enjoy reading the op-eds. I may not agree but I've always assumed that if I can't argue a position from the other side then I don't understand the argument. Gave up my subscription years ago though. Too easy to not find the time to read (could spend a couple hours a day just reading news, op-eds, etc).

Right now I have a trial subscription on my Fire that I have been liking; I might see what it costs to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back